ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Referendum on Treaty of Lisbon

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

archigabe

Irish Referendum on Treaty of Lisbon

Post by archigabe » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:57 pm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 048469.ece

[quote]Now all eyes are turning to Ireland, which is staging the only referendum on the Treaty of Lisbon. Supporters are growing increasingly nervous that opponents will converge on Ireland to halt the whole treaty.More than 60 per cent are undecided about how to vote, according to a poll for The Irish Times. José Manuel Barroso, the European Commission President, urged Irish voters to bear in mind the resources pumped into their country by the EU since it joined in 1973. “I believe Ireland has been a country that has benefited a lot from the European Union, but has also given a lot to Europe,â€

Ark
Newly Registered

Post by Ark » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:34 am

What I find funny is how many Irish people are loudly anti-EU...

It is one of the most ingrate and ridiculous things ever.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:40 am

Ark wrote:What I find funny is how many Irish people are loudly anti-EU...

It is one of the most ingrate and ridiculous things ever.
jesus you must be around a lot of idiots then. a majority of Irish citizens are pro europe, the euro polls will show this. never mind, shouting is all they can do, no substance when they are challenged about their ill formed views.

like any country they will pick and choose what is good for them and what is not, independently when it comes to voting on treaties on europe. any one who thinks otherwise is naive. if the people fear they will loose their power via loss of seats etc then they have a credible reason to vote no.

interference from Prodi or any other should stop, they did not do that to the dutch or frence during the consitution (much of which was dealt with during the dublin presidency)

the reality is, there is a need for overhaul in the institutions of the EU and hopefully this treaty will do so. the problems are that if you look at polls in europa not many people , at least in this country, know what exactly the institutions like the council or parliament really do. further, in light of recent corruption in the commission over the years and the failure of previous treaties which promised to deal with these structures, (eg amsterdam which lead to the requirement of nice) it can be very hard to trust these institutions.

no country in europe will want to loose its rights in important matter. the only thing is, our leaders need to spell out what is really contained in this treaty (most of it is good and badly needed) or else those anti europe idiots will successfully influence the no vote.

then again, this would not be the first time our government ignored the people when it comes to european treaties.

Ark
Newly Registered

Post by Ark » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:45 pm

walrusgumble wrote: jesus you must be around a lot of idiots then. a majority of Irish citizens are pro europe, the euro polls will show this. never mind, shouting is all they can do, no substance when they are challenged about their ill formed views.
Definitely not an educated elite, but if I had an euro for every time I got in a cab and the taxi driver didn't start spouting anti-euro stuff I'd be one rich man...

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:53 pm

If the referendum fails the government wont be too concerned, they will simply hold referenda until they succeed. Keep in mind Ireland rejected the Nice Treaty first time round but voted in favour (60%) the second time round based on some concessions.