ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

French Work Visa/permit & travel to Schengen Countries

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

erasmus
Newly Registered

French Work Visa/permit & travel to Schengen Countries

Post by erasmus » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I have an urgent question...I am currently living in the UK, but will start to work in France, near Paris next year. I have already got my French work permit (6 months) and soon get a visa from French Consulate in London.

Do you know what kind of visa would I get? A long term visa for 6 months or a single entry visa (for some time then I need to apply for a residence permit once I arrive?). I am a bit confused...also I wonder if the visa is only valid for France or also Schengen countries? I know France is part of Schengen area and there is no border control between Schengen member states. The reason I am asking is because I may need to go to a conference in Denmark before I go to France. I do not know if the visa would be valid for Denmark or not?

Your experiences or advices would be most appreciated...

Thanks a lot,

Erik

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:04 am

What is your citizenship?

In general, a visa for Schengen allows you to travel to all Schengen countries during the duration of the validity. This is also true in general for a residence permit.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:25 am

If it's similar to Germany you'll first get a single entry visa which you exchange for a residence permit when you arrive.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:54 pm

MAIN IMPLICATIONS FOR NON EU CITIZENS

As a citizen of a third country you may enter and travel within the territory of the Member States applying in full the Schengen provisions for a period of up to three months, provided you fulfil the entry conditions laid down in the Schengen acquis, now integrated into the EU:

* the possession of a valid travel document,
* the possession of a short stay visa if required;
* being able to demonstrate the purpose of the journey;
* and the possession of sufficient means of subsistence for the period of stay and for the return
* furthermore, you should not be listed in the Schengen information system for the purpose of refusing entry and you should not be considered to be a threat to public policy or national security for all Schengen States.

If you want to stay longer than three months you still need a national long term visa or residence permit. It is up to the individual countries to set their own requirements.

In 2001 the Council of the European Union adopted a regulation1 listing the third countries whose nationals must be in possession of short stay visas when crossing the external borders of Member States and those whose nationals are exempt from that requirement.

This means that all Schengen Member States issue visas under the same conditions, taking account of each other’s interests. A visa issued by one Schengen Member State is therefore also valid for the others, which benefits third country nationals wanting to visit more than one Schengen Member State. In exceptional cases, visitors that do not meet the common entry conditions are issued with a visa valid only for the Schengen Member State issuing it. Such cases arise for humanitarian reasons or reasons relating to national interest or compliance with international obligations.

Non-EU nationals legally residing in the territory of a Member State have the right to travel (up to three months) within the European Union:

On the basis of the Schengen acquis, a valid residence permit from a Schengen Member State, together with a travel document, can substitute for a visa. Thus, a third-country national presenting his/her passport and a valid residence permit issued by a Schengen Member State is allowed to enter another Schengen Member State for a short stay without needing a visa. This equivalence does not apply to residence permits issued by the United Kingdom and Ireland, since they do not apply these provisions of the Schengen acquis.

http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/nav/en/c ... index.html

erasmus
Newly Registered

Post by erasmus » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:10 pm

thanks to all of your reply. the thing is i am a national which requires visa for schengen countries. i am not sure whether the french work visa would be a single entry or multiple entries and if it is valid for france only or throughout schengen.

currently i do not have a french residence permit...and was hoping to use the work visa to travel to denmark for a conference before going to work in france...has anyone got any idea what is the long stay work visa like?

many years ago, i was given a d-visa for holland when i went to study there. i think it is a single entry visa allows me to get a residence permit in holland. i am not sure if the french work visa is the same or not?

cheers...