ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renouncing British Citizenship to use EEA FP route

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sp84

Re: Renouncing British Citizenship to use EEA FP route

Post by sp84 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:20 pm

magicmus wrote:
Hi sP84, how's things?
That seems a bit strange asking you to contact your local british embassy i think someone has given you wrong information. I recieved a letter confirming my application for RN had been recieved and my reference number on Friday. Had a look there but there is no contact number on it. I have a number I took off here at one stage that I seen someone had used to complain and its 0843 504 7198. Not sure if it will be of any use, but worth a try.

Hope to hear from you soon. :-)
Hey magicmus,

Thank you! I'll add it to the list of numbers I have and then give it a go. I did see that Tigerram had spoken to someone regarding his case (close to his 6 month mark) - but the number that he posted, was the one where I was told to call the Embassy.

They probably just told me that due to mis-information. I know that previously if you wanted to renounce, it was carried out at the Embassy in whichever country you were in - there was a ceremony and all that. I'm not sure what year though - but it got changed to the current system obviously (sending it to the Liverpool Office). They maybe told me to contact the Embassy on the basis of still thinking that it was done the old way.

I'll keep trying though!

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:11 pm

Hi All!

Hope you are all well. Thought I would just check in and see how everyone is doing. We have been in the UK for 3 weeks now. Wow.. So nice, but also still so stressful, as we have had the run around trying to get a place to rent, reference checks and also Easter Weekend, which makes things difficult!

I'm going for an interview for my National Insurance Number... Eek! Nervous.. hopefully all will go well. And they won't ask why I gave up citizenship....

Also in the process of applying for Residence Card, which to exercise my treaty rights means I need to get studying or working or seeking employment.. Which I am. Apparently Medical Insurance is also something we will have to look at? Although again, with all the holidays its hard to wait for an answer to what to do. And it feels like everything needs to happen straight away!

Just a little feedback from this side of the process... Hope you all are getting somewhere! I read through two pages of posts. hehe.. but not all of them!

Keep well! :)

sp84

Post by sp84 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:51 pm

Lissa6 wrote:Hi All!

Hope you are all well. Thought I would just check in and see how everyone is doing. We have been in the UK for 3 weeks now. Wow.. So nice, but also still so stressful, as we have had the run around trying to get a place to rent, reference checks and also Easter Weekend, which makes things difficult!

I'm going for an interview for my National Insurance Number... Eek! Nervous.. hopefully all will go well. And they won't ask why I gave up citizenship....

Also in the process of applying for Residence Card, which to exercise my treaty rights means I need to get studying or working or seeking employment.. Which I am. Apparently Medical Insurance is also something we will have to look at? Although again, with all the holidays its hard to wait for an answer to what to do. And it feels like everything needs to happen straight away!

Just a little feedback from this side of the process... Hope you all are getting somewhere! I read through two pages of posts. hehe.. but not all of them!

Keep well! :)
Hey Lisa!!! Great to hear from you. I am glad you are back now and starting to get settled. The National Insurance Number should go fine. They shouldn't need to ask about why you gave up British Citizenship, as it is none of their business. You are not doing anything illegal. I already have a NI number from living and working at home, so I will only have to apply for one for my wife.

In terms of medical insurance - you only have to worry about "comprehensive sickness insurance" (CSI) if you do not have a job. If you are working (and thus paying taxes) - you and your husband are both entitled to use the NHS just like everyone else.

You can apply for the residence card as "self sufficient" too - based on savings etc and in this case, you would also need CSI to be issued a residence card. I think that I may have to apply under self-sufficient if I manage to get in just before the referendum, but I will have to wait and see. I am hoping to get my wife's residence card application in the system, before June 23rd.

I am just finishing up month number 4 of waiting on my RN. So I have been waiting Dec, Jan, Feb & March. I managed to speak to someone at the Home Office & they told me that "something" was on it's way to me in the post, but I am not holding my breath until I actually see my RN in my hand.

It is really good to hear from you Lisa - good luck with the next part of the process & keep checking in!

sp84

Post by sp84 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:58 am

Hey everyone!!!

I know that I messaged some of you privately today - but I also wanted to share this in the thread itself for others...

So after getting in touch with someone at the Home Office about changing my address - they got back to me around 2 weeks ago, saying that it looked like some "documents" had been sent to me here in the USA.

Well, I got home from work yesterday and to my absolute surprise - a package from the Home Office, with a cover letter, my stamped RN and my Irish Passport, was waiting for me!

In terms of timescales I am genuinely lost for words. I received confirmation of my application (with my case #) on Dec 1st 2015 ... The date stamped on my RN was March 1st 2016 ... So exactly 3 months to the day for my case to be processed. The package then took 3/4 weeks to reach me here in the states. I cannot believe it and actually have no idea why they processed mine in 3 months, when it took 6 for others!!!!!!

I know there is still a ways to go yet regarding the family permits etc, but at least when the RN comes back - it makes it possible to move forward. I am hoping to start looking at the family permit this weekend to see what it entails applying from the USA. Fingers crossed it is straight forward.

Anyway, I hope everyone had a nice Easter & I just wanted to update everyone with my news!

Bannoi
Newly Registered

Post by Bannoi » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:52 am

Hi sp84

Congratulations :D if your family permit application goes anything like mine its all straightforward and just a matter of rubber stamping it.

All the best I hope everything goes well for you.

I don't know why but you've made my day put me in a happy mood its great to hear good news even if its somebody else's :D

magicmus

Post by magicmus » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:38 am

Congrats sp84. I'm so pleased the waiting is over for you and gives me a little bit of hope that mine may be processed before the end of June. Good luck with the FP. :-)

sp84

Post by sp84 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:12 pm

Cheers folks!

Bit of a strange feeling opening the package and reading the cover letter. Yea Bannoi, fingers crossed that my family permit application goes straight forward enough. Any advice on what to send in with it? Thanks!

Bannoi
Newly Registered

Post by Bannoi » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:50 am

sp84 wrote:Cheers folks!

Bit of a strange feeling opening the package and reading the cover letter. Yea Bannoi, fingers crossed that my family permit application goes straight forward enough. Any advice on what to send in with it? Thanks!
Hi sp84

I basically just gave them what they asked for my wife's passport and 2 passport sized photos our marriage certificate my passport the renunciation certificate.

The only things I added that weren't asked for was our three sons birth certificates and copy's of their British passports, hard for them to argue it was a marriage of convenience with 3 children. :wink:

On the online application form where it asked how long we intended to stay I put "undecided"

The only thing that did come up which wouldn't apply to you anyway was at the visa processing centre they told me my wife had to have a certificate certifying she was free from TB.

I told them she didn't and to just put the application in as it was.

Its all pretty much straightforward really.

I hope it all goes well for you only took about a week for us.

sp84

Post by sp84 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:58 pm

Cheers Bannoi thank you! Hopefully it goes pretty smoothly!

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:07 pm

Yay!! Congrats sp, and so great that you got it within 3 months! As you say... the time line is crazy. But it's just great that you got it.

The guy at the office in SA just took a copy of all our documents, photos and then my husband did his biometrics.

Thanks for the info about the CSI, that was helpful. We are going to probably use a company to do the application for the 5 year residence card, as it is 90 pages, and I don't have a printer. haha..

Unless anyone knows if this has changed to online? I couldn't find information for it anywhere!

Keep well, hope all goes well for everyone and for you sp with your next steps :) Soon life can continue for everyone!

sp84

Post by sp84 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:34 pm

Thank you Lisa !!! Going to look into the family permit later today. Hoping someone can answer me these 2 questions though ...

(1) - I know that I have to give an intended date of travel to the UK. This is the date that my family permit will be valid from. I do not have an exact date yet - but I just know that it will be in early June - the first or second week. So I was thinking of just putting June 1st as my intended date, even though we probably won't go until after that. Do you think that will be OK?

(2) - So i went to the Home Office website to look at applying for the family permit and got sent to this page: https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/home/welcome

BUTTTTTT on that page I have the following message (currently it is down for maintenance until 10:30pm UK time) - the bit that I have bolded has me confused...

The Visa4UK website will be unavailable from 14:30hrs to 22:30hrs on Saturday 2nd April for essential maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Welcome to the Visa4UK service, you can apply for a UK visa using this service if you’re an applicant who is not currently in the UK.

Register for an account using the 'Register an Account' button below to begin your application.

We are currently updating our online visa application service. You can apply using the new service if you are applying for a:
- Standard Visitor Visa
- Marriage Visitor Visa
- 1 month Permitted Paid Engagements visa

Currently this service is only available to people applying in China, India, Russia, Belarus and Turkey. Applicants in these countries can apply here

I can't get on right now as it is down for maintenance - but either their wording in this last part is horrible ... or are they saying that you can only use the website if you are applying from those countries listed, which I find hard to believe ??? ... Suppose I will check again in a few hours when it is back up

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:34 pm

sp84 wrote:Thank you Lisa !!! Going to look into the family permit later today. Hoping someone can answer me these 2 questions though ...

(1) - I know that I have to give an intended date of travel to the UK. This is the date that my family permit will be valid from. I do not have an exact date yet - but I just know that it will be in early June - the first or second week. So I was thinking of just putting June 1st as my intended date, even though we probably won't go until after that. Do you think that will be OK?

(2) - So i went to the Home Office website to look at applying for the family permit and got sent to this page: https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/home/welcome

BUTTTTTT on that page I have the following message (currently it is down for maintenance until 10:30pm UK time) - the bit that I have bolded has me confused...

The Visa4UK website will be unavailable from 14:30hrs to 22:30hrs on Saturday 2nd April for essential maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Welcome to the Visa4UK service, you can apply for a UK visa using this service if you’re an applicant who is not currently in the UK.

Register for an account using the 'Register an Account' button below to begin your application.

We are currently updating our online visa application service. You can apply using the new service if you are applying for a:
- Standard Visitor Visa
- Marriage Visitor Visa
- 1 month Permitted Paid Engagements visa

Currently this service is only available to people applying in China, India, Russia, Belarus and Turkey. Applicants in these countries can apply here

I can't get on right now as it is down for maintenance - but either their wording in this last part is horrible ... or are they saying that you can only use the website if you are applying from those countries listed, which I find hard to believe ??? ... Suppose I will check again in a few hours when it is back up

Heya,

Well what I was told, for question 1 - you have 6 months to apply for the long term residence card, if you have a job or can prove self sufficient then that is great you don't have to much of a time crunch. I need to find a job and work for 3 months then apply (what the company I am using has said) with bank statements, payslips etc. If you don't have this time crunch then you don't have to worry so much about utilising the full "6 months". We put the 29th Jan and only left on the 5th March. So you can go anytime after getting your family permit.

That website... I sat for ages with difficulties... eventually I opened up an outlook email address, (I was trying to use google and it wouldn't register me) and it worked. It however didn't tell me there was a problem with my email address, just that it wasn't valid and the form wasn't complete. Just to make sure this isn't any sort of problem.

sp84

Post by sp84 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:51 pm

Lissa6 wrote: Heya,

Well what I was told, for question 1 - you have 6 months to apply for the long term residence card, if you have a job or can prove self sufficient then that is great you don't have to much of a time crunch. I need to find a job and work for 3 months then apply (what the company I am using has said) with bank statements, payslips etc. If you don't have this time crunch then you don't have to worry so much about utilising the full "6 months". We put the 29th Jan and only left on the 5th March. So you can go anytime after getting your family permit.

That website... I sat for ages with difficulties... eventually I opened up an outlook email address, (I was trying to use google and it wouldn't register me) and it worked. It however didn't tell me there was a problem with my email address, just that it wasn't valid and the form wasn't complete. Just to make sure this isn't any sort of problem.
Cheers Lisa! The site is still down at the minute, so I keep keep trying and see where I get. My wife is in her current job until June 3rd - so we will be going sometime after that date and before the referendum on June 23rd. So I will probably just put June 1st as my estimated travel date.

I am currently trying to get some work sorted to help with the residence card application. I was hoping to get my residence card application in before the referendum - so in that case, I may have to apply as "self-sufficient", due to the short time scale between when I arrive back and when the vote happens.

I am thinking of ordering a TV license for my wife, so that she can then use that to open a bank account etc - to help with the residence card application too. I wouldn't be bothered too much about it now if the vote wasn't happening.

In terms of self-sufficient and applying for the residence card, I emailed the Grow your Europe advice page (http://europa.eu/youreurope/advice/enquiry_en.htm) - thanks chaoclive for that btw! and they told me the following:

Your wife can apply on the basis of you being a self-sufficient person. This requires you to demonstrate you have adequate financial resources to support yourself and you are while living in the UK so that neither of you become an unreasonable burden on the social assistance system of that country AND you both have health insurance cover in place. Please note that the UK does not recognise NHS cover as being sufficient for this purpose – you would need to have arranged private health insurance if you did not work

There is no fixed minimum amount. However, if you can demonstrate that you have sufficient savings in excess of £114 per week (the threshold below which a couple over the age of 18 may claim benefits in the UK), this should suffice to show you have sufficient resources. You would need to submit bank statements to show your savings that are as recent as possible and no older than three months. You also need to identify whether you have any other income.

As I do not have a job secured yet (working on it!)- I may apply for the residence card as self-sufficient - and if I have a job secured in a school for August/September, I will also send a letter from the employer along with my RC application, to show that I am self-sufficient now, but have a job in the pipeline. All the while making sure that I have CSI for periods that I am not working. If that makes sense!!

Anyway, I have to get the family permit and actually get to Northern Ireland, before worrying about that application! haha! Jumping a few steps ahead of myself, but thought you might want to see what that website told me - and if you have any questions you should email them via their website. They were really helpful and gave detailed responses.

PS the visa4uk website is still down haha

darren1972uk
Ireland

Post by darren1972uk » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:29 pm

Hi there,

Anyone know email or phone number to find out about why they haven't taken my money out of my bank to renounce my British citizen. It's been almost 4 weeks,
Thank you

RJF1979

Post by RJF1979 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:05 pm

Hi darren1972uk how are you ?

Welcome to the forum :D

When I got my letter to say they accepted my RN I got an email address with the letter it's nationalityenquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

When I sent off my RN.. I sent it on the 19th of November and was signed on the 20th of November it took 1 month & 3 days to send me a letter to say they accepted my payment.

Just a matter of waiting now Darren for me hopefully it will come soon

I hope you hear soon Darren about the payment

All the best & hope to hear from you soon

magicmus

Post by magicmus » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:39 pm

I cannot believe in my rn certificate came through today! Posted on 24th February payment taken 8th March and received today. I'm literally in complete shock but soooo happy.

sp84

Post by sp84 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:45 pm

Wow magicmus!!!! I had spoken to my solicitor a few days ago (to tell him that I got my RN back) - and he said that some of his clients had been getting their RN back after 6 weeks!!!! But I thought he had made a typo! That's unbelievable!

I assume that means that you are going to cancel your UK spouse application?

magicmus

Post by magicmus » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:41 pm

Hi sp84 we never applied for uk spouse it was just a route I was considering incase referendum closed this path. I'm literally in shock. Time to start Susing out what all we need for the family permit application! Least we are in the same boat now and can help each other out

sp84

Post by sp84 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:10 pm

magicmus wrote:Hi sp84 we never applied for uk spouse it was just a route I was considering incase referendum closed this path. I'm literally in shock. Time to start Susing out what all we need for the family permit application! Least we are in the same boat now and can help each other out

Absolutely magicmus! I finished filling out the EEA family permit application last night. I put N/A in A LOT of the boxes because for the family permit, income, accommodation etc is not required legally.

I also constructed quite a lengthy cover letter - basically focusing on 2 things (1) That I am no longer British, so the British financial laws do not apply to me (2) That through marriage, my wife is entitled to the issuing of the permit, without the need to provide a lot of the information asked for in the application.

I also included some of the official legislation with appropriate sections highlighted to show my points.

Going to hopefully get the appointment set up for the biometrics later on so that we can get the application submitted.

RJF1979

Post by RJF1979 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:09 pm

Hi magicus how are you ?? I'm happy to hear you got your RN back :D

When it arrived by post, did it come by first class post or second class post? Did you have to sign for it?

Thank you I hope too hear from you soon

magicmus

Post by magicmus » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:13 pm

RJF1979 wrote:Hi magicus how are you ?? I'm happy to hear you got your RN back :D

When it arrived by post, did it come by first class post or second class post? Did you have to sign for it?

Thank you I hope too hear from you soon
Hi there, I had sent a 1st class recorded delivery envelope asking them to return my irish passport asap as I needed it for travelling. Do when I seen it today I thought it was surely only my passport but no rn certificate was there aswel. I didn't need to sign for it.

darren1972uk
Ireland

Post by darren1972uk » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:07 pm

Trying to get a uk vistor visa yet all I get is

How do I apply if not in these countries. Is this a way to stop certain nationalities from entering the Uk!!!! Food for thought eh

sp84

Post by sp84 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:17 pm

darren1972uk wrote:Trying to get a uk vistor visa yet all I get is

How do I apply if not in these countries. Is this a way to stop certain nationalities from entering the Uk!!!! Food for thought eh
Hi Darren,

Where are you applying from?

I had some trouble wrapping my head around this line: Currently this service is only available to people applying in China, India, Russia, Belarus and Turkey. Applicants in these countries can apply here

I think they have their wording wrong though - because if you click where it says "applicants in these countries please apply here" - you see that the languages available are for the countries listed.

So I think it should actually say "Currently this service is NOT available to people applying in China, India, Russia, Belarus and Turkey. Applicants in these countries can apply here" ... If that makes sense!

Just go ahead and register an account (I know some people had trouble using a gmail account - so if you have another then use that) - I used a yahoo address.

Once you register and pick what country you are in - you can select through the different visas that you can apply for & hopefully what you are looking for is listed.

darren1972uk
Ireland

Post by darren1972uk » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:21 pm

Hi
I have an account and I still got pink box basically saying not available. Don't know what to do????

sp84

Post by sp84 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:57 pm

Hey Darren,

The pink box will never go away - it is embedded in the website even after you register.

All you do is - create an account, log in, then click on "Apply for myself" at the top