ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 year ILR & 3 year Spouse for citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Emaan1234
Newly Registered

10 year ILR & 3 year Spouse for citizenship

Post by Emaan1234 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:07 pm

Hi Everyone,

my matter is a little complicated, i am hoping someone can help me with this :)

I have ILR on 10 years, got that November last year, of that:

6 years on Student visa
2 years on HSMP
2 years on Spouse visa.

I will be married 3 years this april (2016), based on that can i apply for british passport before 12 months.
heard someone tell me that if you're married for 3 years to a british person you can apply for citizenship straight awat after ILR.

Hope this makes sense.

any help will be appreciated :)

thanks a lot in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: 10 year ILR & 3 year Spouse for citizenship

Post by CR001 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:31 pm

You could have applied for citizenship immediately after getting ILR as the spouse of a British citizen. You require 3 years residence in any visa category NOT 3 years marriage.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Emaan1234
Newly Registered

Post by Emaan1234 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:59 pm

Hi

Thanks sooooo much for your reply. thats sucha a relief.

hopefully it'll go through they keep increasing the money every time :(

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:12 pm

The fees have just recently increased on 18th March. It is now £1236 for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Emaan1234
Newly Registered

Post by Emaan1234 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:08 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, i have another query, :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

My husband has just been offered work abroad, and he would like me to go and live with him for 3 months over there.

Can i apply for my naturalisation while abroad, i wont be travelling until the 1st of June, If i submit my application right now and hear back from them within this time frame brilliant if not will it make a difference to my application if the reply comes back while i'm abroad. I stay with my inlaws so they can get my post and keep me updated.

I have read somewhere that i can even get the ceremony arranged while i'm abroad at the British consulate.

I hope this is the case? can i even apply for the passport while i'm over there (or am i being too optimistic now)

please let me know your thoughts.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:45 pm

You can apply using the NCS at the council. This way you get to keep your original documents and passport. Suggest you use a council that offers the new joint citizenship and passport application service, they seem to be processed a bit quicker.

If you travel, you can come back if and when you get approval to attend your ceremony.

Note that once you attend your ceremony, you have to return your ILR BRP to HO within 5 days.

You can't apply for citizenship from abroad no. Passports from abroad take 6-12 months. Yes, you could arrange a ceremony abroad but if you are only away for 3 months, it might not be worth it as it takes a while for HO to process such requests. Easier to come back and then go again, especially if you do the joint application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)