ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child naturalisation 3(1)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

goingbrit

Child naturalisation 3(1)

Post by goingbrit » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:28 pm

I've just submitted naturalisation applications based on 5yrs on Tier 1 plus 1yr ILR for myself and my 11 year old (born in the US, holding US passport), and was wondering whether anyone else has applied under MN 3(1) and could tell me what documentation you were asked for? My husband has ILR but has not applied for naturalisation with us for logistic issues. I have submitted my BRP (applied through NCS, so copies taken) as well as my child's, but was not asked about my husband's status at any time. I didn't want to provide more information/documents than requested (had a bad experience with this during a Tier 1 app), but am not sure how they will satisfy themselves about my husband's status (this seems to be required for the Secretary of State to use discretion for 3(1) apps). There was no question about this on the form, and NCS didn't ask for anything additional either.

Any experiences/information would be very helpful, thanks!

noajthan

Re: Child naturalisation 3(1)

Post by noajthan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:39 pm

Is child related to your husband or is he a stepfather?

If father then full details & consent required.

If stepfather then leave off the form & provide bio-father's details (& explain where he is).

Docs as per MN1 guidance, that's quite comprehensive.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

goingbrit

Post by goingbrit » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:12 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, my husband is the little one's father and we have put all the father's info and consent in the MN form, and included all the requested documentation. The problem is that it does not ask for proof of father's settled status anywhere (and NCS didn't ask me for it either).

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:26 pm

goingbrit wrote:Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, my husband is the little one's father and we have put all the father's info and consent in the MN form, and included all the requested documentation. The problem is that it does not ask for proof of father's settled status anywhere (and NCS didn't ask me for it either).
Which section of BNA did you apply under?
Was it really 3(1) and not one of the others for parent/s who are citizens by descent, ie section 3(2) or 3(5) of BNA ??

If child is registering based on your citizenship it may explain lack of interest in father's immigration status.
Might have expected his passport, BRP and (possibly) a marriage certificate to be requested though.

Anyway, if HO requires more information they will be in touch.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:39 pm

As child was likely born before 2006, only a marriage certificate is needed for Child, but think mostly relevant to 1(3) applications.

Each applicant has to meet the requirements, citizenship is not a 'dependent' type of application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

goingbrit

Post by goingbrit » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:47 pm

Thanks both for the quick replies! The application was under 3(1) as I am applying for naturalisation along with the child, so it would be for child born aboard to non- British citizens. And yes, he was born in 2005. So he has been in the country 5 yrs as Tier 1 dependant, plus 1 yr with ILR.
I'm just annoyed that my info on a need to know basis strategy may have backfired this time, and I really need to have (at least my) naturalisation come through ASAP, as I need to travel over the summer.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:04 pm

Your husbands status is not required for his application. As long as the father signed consent on the form, no problem. HO have his details anyway.

Unlikely you will get through approval >> ceremony and British passport before summer.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:43 pm

goingbrit wrote:Thanks both for the quick replies! The application was under 3(1) as I am applying for naturalisation along with the child, so it would be for child born aboard to non- British citizens. And yes, he was born in 2005. So he has been in the country 5 yrs as Tier 1 dependant, plus 1 yr with ILR.
I'm just annoyed that my info on a need to know basis strategy may have backfired this time, and I really need to have (at least my) naturalisation come through ASAP, as I need to travel over the summer.
If 3(1) which I've done myself, then slightly surprised more docs weren't extracted from father.

Anyway HO will be on your case if they need more.

I'm a big fan of 'need to know' and 'just in time' management - but it doesn't sit well with immigration matters. Paranoia and OCD helps a lot.

goingbrit

Post by goingbrit » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:26 pm

final update on this - both child and I have now received approval :D :D :D with no request for further info about father's status (or even any calls/letters to references). My child has however be invited to participate in the citizenship ceremony - he is not required to attend, but we will only get his certificate with mine post ceremony.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:30 pm

Congratulations, very pleased for you.

Child won't participate but will be an observer at the ceremony. Enjoy
Char (CR001 not Casa)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:37 pm

goingbrit wrote:final update on this - both child and I have now received approval :D :D :D with no request for further info about father's status (or even any calls/letters to references). My child has however be invited to participate in the citizenship ceremony - he is not required to attend, but we will only get his certificate with mine post ceremony.
Wonderful news. Have a lovely day.

If from a religious background you may take any religious artefact or book with you for the ceremony.
And your child may enjoy singing the national anthem (the words are provided).