ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Maiden name on Spouse Visa application

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ofayub
Newly Registered

Maiden name on Spouse Visa application

Post by ofayub » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:05 am

Can i first say that i have found this website very useful and is very good the work that is placed into helping people.

I would be grateful if you could help with an enquiry. My wife would like to make an application for settlement in UK. My wife (Pakistani Citizen) would like to keep her maiden name. Does my wife need to change her name to my name (husband) on her Pakistani travelling documents in order to submit a visa application? We have been informed that we need to change her name on her Pakistani ID card and Passport when enquirying regarding making a passport by Pakistani passport place. They informed us that they the UK Visa office will not accept the application since the changes have been made in September. Can you please advise.

thank you

ikp
Newly Registered

Post by ikp » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:07 am

no,
she can keep her maiden name, i rang HO and they confirmed, you can ring and double check 0870 6067766.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:27 am

Does my wife need to change her name to my name
There is no compulsion under UK law for a woman to change her surname on marriage. It is merely a convention that most choose to follow.
John

jazbaati99

Post by jazbaati99 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:40 am

Hello

As already stated, your wife can keep her maiden name; there should be no issues with that with the UK authorities. My wife still uses her maiden name however you do need to change her Pakistani computerized ID card. She can still use her maiden name but her father's name will be replaced by her husband's name. Her new passport (whenever the old one expires) will have her husband’s name instead of her father's name. If you don't do this (like we did) then it is almost impossible to get the birth registration form (form B) issued by Pakistani authorities and you may have trouble getting a Pakistani passport from your child(ren). So it may be worth while to get her computerized ID card changed.

Rgds