ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dual citizenship - UK & Canadian

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Y85K
Newly Registered

Dual citizenship - UK & Canadian

Post by Y85K » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:46 pm

Hello,

I am trying to decide whether or not I should get dual citizenship. I have a Canadian passport and living in the UK, have the indefinite leave to remain on my expired passport. Instead of getting a biometric resident permit (no time limit) I am thinking of getting a dual citizenship instead.

Let's say I move to another country and live there for a few years, will I be able to come back to the UK with the BRP (NTL)? If I am out of the UK for more than 1 or 2 years will I automatically lose ILR status?

Does anyone know the exact procedure of getting a dual citizenship and how long will it take?
If I get the dual citizenship, and I am out of the UK for more than 1 or 2 years, will this effect my UK right/status as citizen?
What is the quickest way to get the dual citizenship?

Thank you!

Y85K
Newly Registered

Re: Dual citizenship - UK & Canadian

Post by Y85K » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:49 pm

Forgot to mention my spouse is a British citizen living in the UK.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:45 am

Y85K wrote:Forgot to mention my spouse is a British citizen living in the UK.
ILR lapses after 2 years out of UK.

If a citizen do whatever you wish, emigrate or stay in the rain here, you remain a BC.

If you meet (or can meet) all requirements for privilege of citizenship you can apply tomorrow.
That is: LITUK, residency, absences in limits, proof of physical presence in UK 3 years ago, good character, sound mind, referees & etc.

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:26 am

There's no such specific thing as a "dual citizenship", it's just what the situation is referred to when people have citizenship of two countries. It is possible to have more than two though. There is no agreement between the multiple countries in question, as each have their own nationality laws (some countries do not permit their citizens to hold more than one citizenship, some may not recognise other citizenships and some countries may automatically void your citizenship of that country if you acquire another).

Thankfully the UK and Canada both permit multiple citizenship with very few restrictions so it won't be a problem.

Providing you can meet the requirements of naturalisation here you are free to apply for British citizenship.

Once you have acquired British citizenship you will generally never lose it under any circumstance (at least under the current rules), even if you decide to leave the country permanently. You can be stripped of your citizenship in extreme circumstances though, for example if you decided to join a terrorist organisation etc.

Y85K
Newly Registered

Post by Y85K » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:19 pm

ohara wrote:There's no such specific thing as a "dual citizenship", it's just what the situation is referred to when people have citizenship of two countries. It is possible to have more than two though. There is no agreement between the multiple countries in question, as each have their own nationality laws (some countries do not permit their citizens to hold more than one citizenship, some may not recognise other citizenships and some countries may automatically void your citizenship of that country if you acquire another).

Thankfully the UK and Canada both permit multiple citizenship with very few restrictions so it won't be a problem.

Providing you can meet the requirements of naturalisation here you are free to apply for British citizenship.

Once you have acquired British citizenship you will generally never lose it under any circumstance (at least under the current rules), even if you decide to leave the country permanently. You can be stripped of your citizenship in extreme circumstances though, for example if you decided to join a terrorist organisation etc.
Do you know how long the process can take?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:21 pm

Y85K wrote:
ohara wrote:Do you know how long the process can take?
It can take a few weeks or it can take a few months.

It appears that applications submitted thought the joint AN+Passport pilot scheme are processed a bit quicker.

If you apply using NCS at the council, you get to keep hold of all your original documents.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:22 pm

Y85K wrote:Do you know how long the process can take?
Perhaps 4 - 6 months or a year.
(Some members waiting since sometime in 2014).

You can track members' experiences in one of the timeline threads.
Your mileage may vary ofcourse.

Start here to get your head around this:
british-citizenship/citizenship-faqs-co ... 95747.html
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:24 pm

HO official guidance says they aim to process applications within 6 months, and as long as there's nothing dodgy about your identity or background yours should be done in this time.

In reality it varies, some members here have had approvals in under 4 weeks and some have been waiting for almost 2 years. A lot seem to be getting done in under 3 months at the moment, just have a look at the timeline threads in this forum for an idea.