ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Register as self-employed

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Ali272
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Register as self-employed

Post by Ali272 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:07 pm

Hi,

I'm on Tier 1 Graduate Visa. I incorporated my company in December immediately after I switched from Tier 4. Do I need to register as self employed or being registered as a director is enough?

Kind regards
Ali

honey2008
United Kingdom

Re: Register as self-employed

Post by honey2008 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:45 pm

Yes.

Ta
Honey

Ali272
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Ali272 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:54 pm

anyone else? Do I need to register as self-employed if I'm director of my company and receive no dividends or salary?

moongesture
Member of Standing

Post by moongesture » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:50 pm

No you don't need to file a self assessment if you are not earning or nothing to declare / below threshold.

You already meet the requirement of the route via becoming director of limited company.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:57 pm

All directors of a Limited company are required to submit annual Self Assessments!
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Ali272
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Ali272 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:35 pm

Casa wrote:All directors of a Limited company are required to submit annual Self Assessments!
Thanks Casa, But do I have to register within six months of my visa start date? Thanks.

moongesture
Member of Standing

Post by moongesture » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:16 pm

HMRC has no legal powers to force a director, without any balance of tax payable, to register, there is absolutely no risk if such a director does not register for Self Assesment. http://m.spammer.co.uk/anyanswers ... assessment

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:25 am

Ali272 wrote:Hi,

I'm on Tier 1 Graduate Visa. I incorporated my company in December immediately after I switched from Tier 4. Do I need to register as self employed or being registered as a director is enough?

Kind regards
Ali
Not you don't. You need to register only if you work and earn money on outside your business. Being a director is enough.
You also need to register and file for self assessment if you get paid from your business as a director.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

honey2008
United Kingdom

Post by honey2008 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:18 am

https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax- ... tax-return

=================================================
You’ll need to send a tax return if, in the last tax year:

you were self-employed - you can deduct allowable expenses
you got £2,500 or more in untaxed income, eg from renting out a property or savings and investments - contact the helpline if it was less than £2,500
your savings or investment income was £10,000 or more before tax
you made profits from selling things like shares, a second home or other chargeable assets and need to pay Capital Gains Tax
you were a company director - unless it was for a non-profit organisation (eg a charity) and you didn’t get any pay or benefits, like a company car
your income (or your partner’s) was over £50,000 and one of you claimed Child Benefit
you had income from abroad that you needed to pay tax on
you lived abroad and had a UK income
you got dividends from shares and you’re a higher or additional rate taxpayer - but if you don’t need to send a return for any other reason, contact the helpline instead
your income was over £100,000
you were a trustee of a trust or registered pension scheme
you had a P800 from HMRC saying you didn’t pay enough tax last year - and you didn’t pay what you owe through your tax code or with a voluntary payment

Ali272
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Ali272 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:30 pm

honey2008 wrote:https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax- ... tax-return

=================================================
You’ll need to send a tax return if, in the last tax year:

you were self-employed - you can deduct allowable expenses
you got £2,500 or more in untaxed income, eg from renting out a property or savings and investments - contact the helpline if it was less than £2,500
your savings or investment income was £10,000 or more before tax
you made profits from selling things like shares, a second home or other chargeable assets and need to pay Capital Gains Tax
you were a company director - unless it was for a non-profit organisation (eg a charity) and you didn’t get any pay or benefits, like a company car
your income (or your partner’s) was over £50,000 and one of you claimed Child Benefit
you had income from abroad that you needed to pay tax on
you lived abroad and had a UK income
you got dividends from shares and you’re a higher or additional rate taxpayer - but if you don’t need to send a return for any other reason, contact the helpline instead
your income was over £100,000
you were a trustee of a trust or registered pension scheme
you had a P800 from HMRC saying you didn’t pay enough tax last year - and you didn’t pay what you owe through your tax code or with a voluntary payment
Thank you so much. I an going to register anyway in October. But I mean is there any home office requirement to register as self-employed with in six months if I am running my business as a company?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:00 am

Ali272 wrote:But I mean is there any home office requirement to register as self-employed with in six months if I am running my business as a company?
No. They are two different things. You either have to be a registered company director or self-employed. This is very clear in the rules and the guide.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice