ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation and English Language Requirements

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mario75
Newly Registered

Post by mario75 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:54 pm

hi can anyone have an idea about what qualification do the home office accepte so you dont have to pass English Language Requirements my self i have level 2 in plumbing & heating city&guild qualification and level 3 witch gas course form gas safe register both you need to have good english and math if anyone can help please thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Naturalisation and English Language Requirements

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:04 pm

Your qualifications won't be enough unfortunately.

You will have to do the SELT B1 English test.

See FAQs English Requirement (click)
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:04 pm

Unless you have a UK degree (or a foreign one taught/researched) in English, you need to pass a Home Office approved language test at a Home Office approved test centre.

You can find a list of accepted tests and centres here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... l_2016.pdf

The requirements were seriously tightened up after the ETS scam and it's pretty much only IELTS and Trinity College exams that are accepted now.

The Trinity College test costs £150 and if you choose to use them, make sure you book through their own website. There has been at least one case recently of someone who unknowingly booked through a dodgy third party website and ended up paying £225!

mario75
Newly Registered

Post by mario75 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:16 am

Good morning thank you very much for explaining that I really appreciate

invogue
Newly Registered

Post by invogue » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:36 pm

I have lived in UK for 10+ years and studied but not finished Foundation degree in Business Management at University College Birmingham.
Obviously before getting accepted i have done English Language Assessment with the University. Can this be used as proof of English Language?
I have worked for UK government before and i am working as an Accountant right now so my English is perfect. Therefore i am not sure/ or feel it is fair for me to do English Language Assessment or Life in UK Test.

Please advise.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:41 pm

invogue wrote:I have lived in UK for 10+ years and studied but not finished Foundation degree in Business Management at University College Birmingham.
Obviously before getting accepted i have done English Language Assessment with the University. Can this be used as proof of English Language?
I have worked for UK government before and i am working as an Accountant right now so my English is perfect. Therefore i am not sure/ or feel it is fair for me to do English Language Assessment or Life in UK Test.

Please advise.
Doesn't matter what you consider fair of not, the rules are the rules and you have to abide. UKVI holds all the cards....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:51 pm

invogue wrote:Therefore i am not sure/ or feel it is fair for me to do English Language Assessment or Life in UK Test.

Please advise.
Don't do it then. But be warned if you submit an application for naturlisation and you haven't done the Life in the UK test or met the knowledge of the English language to standards required by UKVI, you will be wasting £1236.

I've lived in the UK for 25 years and I'm a native English speaker but I still had to do an English test.

invogue
Newly Registered

Post by invogue » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:20 pm

Thank you for everyone's reply I appreciate it.
Why the price is £1236 ? I thought it is £1000 for the passport plus Life in UK test and English Language Assessment fee only.

As far as i understand i need to:
Pass Life in UK test
Get English Language Assessment done by NARIC
Pay £1000
Send everything with application form and wait for answer.

Did i miss anything? Thank you

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:24 pm

invogue wrote:Thank you for everyone's reply I appreciate it.
Why the price is £1236 ? I thought it is £1000 for the passport plus Life in UK test and English Language Assessment fee only.

Pass Life in UK test
Pay £1000

Fees just went up.

It's not for a passport anyway, it's for Naturalisation and the ceremony fee. Passport if wanted is extra and a separate application after you attend the ceremony.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

invogue
Newly Registered

Post by invogue » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:27 pm

Oh wow i am even more confused now...

I thought British Citizenship and Naturalisation are the same thing and you get Passport in the end that you use as ID and travel with. This is not the case? How mush Passport cost then please?

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:28 pm

invogue wrote:Thank you for everyone's reply I appreciate it.

Pass Life in UK test
Pay £1000

Passport is a separate application costing £72.50 which you can only do once you are a British citizen. Naturalisation is the process by which non-British adults can become British citizens.

Life in the UK test - £50
B1 SELT - £150 or £200 depending on whether you use Trinity College or IELTS
Naturalisation application - £1236

If you have a UK degree (not sure if foundation degree is accepted) you can use the certificate as proof of English. I don't believe you even need NAIRC statement for that.

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:42 pm

I don't think a Foundation degree is accepted. They want to see a qualification equivalent to NVQ L6 (B.A. degree); a Foundation degree is only Level 3.
I appreciate that Admissions assessed your English skills when you started your degree, however, as explained above, the HO wants to see an official test as Admissions may not check your English skills as thoroughly as the HO would like. For entry into my M.A. for example, it was enough to show that I had worked in the UK for 2 years to satisfy the English requirement...
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

invogue
Newly Registered

Post by invogue » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:45 pm

Alright, this all looks much clearer now thank very very much for explaining all the fees and the process appreciate it.