ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport issue name

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Wales27
Newly Registered

Passport issue name

Post by Wales27 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:16 pm

Argh just when it seemed all was going so smoothly I received a letter today following my passport interview saying trying to contact to discuss application. On my ringing they say they cannot issue me my passport in my maiden name(which is in my US expiring passport, the name I used for citizenship etc etc) as have used my husbands name for one credit card when got married 5 years ago, regardless of all my bank details and other personal info being in maiden name still! They want me to change name on my US passport to married name or return US passport(more money!!)! I don't understand why they won't allow me to continue in my maiden name? I thought this was the most straightforward way to apply but seems total mess and got holiday booked for June with no valid passport! The customer assistant was going to email someone who will call me in next 48hrs to see if any other way but he was not positive about it :(. Please any help would be very gratefully received.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Passport issue name

Post by Casa » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:30 pm

You may find something to help you in this thread:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 94920.html
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:32 pm

Welcome to our world. Unfortunately, name & identity is a tricky area especially when a foreign passport is involved.

Some background on UK name & identity & passport policy here:
british-citizenship/british-passport-po ... 84012.html

Similar issues reported here, its a long thread but if you dip into it you may find one or two tips to help:
british-citizenship/passport-refused-un ... 83170.html
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Wales27
Newly Registered

Post by Wales27 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:39 pm

Thank you I will get reading up more, I did think could carry on using my maiden name and would be easiest with citizenship etc but obviously having one card in married name caused issues! Having gone through CRB checks etcfor work Ive always had both my names since marriage known.