ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

please help - Maiden name in British passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Aani

please help - Maiden name in British passport

Post by Aani » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:08 pm

Hi All,

I am in the process of obtaining British nationality. Please see my timelines here (http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1330186). I attended passport interview on 11-Apr-2016 and received a letter today saying that the passport application is in maiden name and that didn't match some of the records (which is true as I have updated my bank account, utility bills, employer etc to Married surname). I told the interviewer that I use my married surname for my bank accounts, UB etc during the interview. The reason for using maiden name in British passport application is

My Indian passport has Maiden name (because this was issued before my marriage)
Initial Tier1 had maiden name (this also issued before my marriage)

I continued using maiden name till ILR as I was looking for employment, mortgage etc also, I was told I need to use the same name as in passport/initial Tier1.

When I applied for Naturalization, I was told by the council (during the NCS appointment)to use the same name as in ILR (which was my maiden name) and to apply for change of name application after receiving British passport. (I knew there is an additional cost for this)Eventually, My naturalization has maiden name and hence the British passport application.

I also went through the threads of having problem using married surname
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 79624.html
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ication_on

After all these research and enquiry, I submitted the application with my maiden name, to retain consistency and to avoid confusion. But now the letter asks me to send 3 documents in my maiden name and to send a letter to confirm that I will use my maiden name in future for all purposes.

Is there anything I did wrong by using maiden name? Can I write a letter to the assessing officer to issue my passport in maiden name (mentioning above reasons) and I will submit change of name in passport later.

just to confirm - I intend to use my married surname in future and not my maiden name.

Please can experts suggest?

Regards,
Aani

Aani

Re: Applying for a British Passport in Maiden Name

Post by Aani » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:14 pm

Hi,

I am in similar situation, Please see my post.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 07448.html

The only difference is I used my maiden name in the BP application and I am having issues as well. My idea was to get the BP in maiden name and to submit a change of name application to get the passport in married surname.

I think the procedure both the ways (either using maiden name or surname after marriage) is not well defined.

Regards,
Aani

kankerot
United Kingdom

Post by kankerot » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:27 pm

If you now have BC (congrats) then doesnt your Indian nationality cease to exist and thus you cannot change your Indian passport as you are no longer an Indian citizen?

This seems like a poorly thought out strategy from the HO most likely advised by Mckinseys.

Aani

Post by Aani » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:35 pm

Aani wrote:Hi,

I am in similar situation, Please see my post.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 07448.html

The only difference is I used my maiden name in the BP application and I am having issues as well. My idea was to get the BP in maiden name and to submit a change of name application to get the passport in married surname.

I think the procedure both the ways (either using maiden name or surname after marriage) is not well defined.

Regards,
Aani
Hi,

I meant to write to get the British passport in maiden name (as per naturalization cert) then to re apply for change of name as per https://www.gov.uk/changing-passport-in ... n/overview with supporting documents + fees. it's a 2 step process

1. get the passport in maiden name.
2. re apply for change of name.

I don't intend to change name in Indian passport as I am no longer Indian. All that can do is to surrender.

kankerot
United Kingdom

Post by kankerot » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:58 pm

The HO is wary that your wife could legally claim to be two people her maiden name and her married name as she has documents to support both names. This is something they do not like so are telling people to stick to one name and prove you are sticking to that name by getting all your documents to only reflect one name.

To this day I really haven't seen the need why women should change their maiden name to that of their husbands.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: please help - Maiden name in British passport

Post by geriatrix » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:01 pm

So, why didn't you change your Indian passport and the BRP to reflect your new name after your adopted your spouse's surname? In effect, and as already hinted above, you have been using two identities (one reflected in the passport and one that you "assumed" based on your marriage certificate) over the years ... perhaps because you did not want to spend money / time getting the changes done during these years??

Unlike UKV&I, banks, educational institutes, employers, HM Passport Office takes the issue of "using more than one formal identity" more seriously - for obvious reasons (they issue you the one document that identifies you as "you" for all practical purposes) and hence the letter from their end.

I agree that their policy and procedures are not consistent. Tough luck that you came under their radar!! There is no quick solution here. You will have to check with HMPO which excuse of yours will they be most convinced with.

And, please don't hijack other people's topics.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Aani

Post by Aani » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:43 pm

Hi geriatrix,

Thanks for your response. Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack others post. I got the same topic in 'Related post' section and thought of updating there so that it might help. I didn't mean to interrupt others discussion.

Re change of name on Indian passport and ILR. As I mentioned earlier, I had mortgage and employment opportunities on going that time and didn't change my surname in all the documents. In other words, I am still in the process of changing it, Its just I was waiting for the right time to change it.

Moreover, I read many forums and other online blogs that one can carry both the names legally. The person in NCS also told me to re apply for passport in married surname after I get the passport in maiden name(as per naturalization cert). Same was told by HMPO advice line. So I applied in maiden name.

Now, Can I write a letter stating to issue passport in maiden name (as per my application) and let them know that I will make a separate application to change my surname?

Anyone has any other experience or advice?

Regards,
Aani

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:54 pm

kankerot wrote:To this day I really haven't seen the need why women should change their maiden name to that of their husbands.
I think the HO position has to be that dual nationals shouldn't change their names.

That position rides roughshod over a British cultural tradition, an unforgivable example of cultural insensitivity.

Aani

Post by Aani » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:18 pm

Hi kankerot,

Thanks for your response.

The reason for surname change is - When myself and my son were returning from holidays, at the immigration check I was asked to prove my identity as his mother as we both had different surname in our passports.

I usually carry my office id card, his birth certificate(which has both my surnames), marriage cert etc. I showed all of them and she let me pass through the immigration. She told me that she just wanted to make sure that there is no slippage in the immigration but nothing serious.

I believe updating surname is important for various reasons like above as we never know what kind of situation or person we will come across. But the timing and the procedure I chose is wrong I believe. I could have done it before.

As you said, HMPO looks for single identity, but for married women it's never going to be single identity.

Regards,
Aani

Aani

Post by Aani » Tue May 31, 2016 12:44 pm

For those who are reading this post and in the similar situation- I got my British passport last week in Married name even though my Indian passport, Surrender certificate, Naturalization certificate all in maiden name. After being in the situation at some point I felt that I've done nothing wrong and it's just that I had to make things clear.

Hence, I wrote a covering letter stating why I used my maiden name (coz it's in my Indian passport) and what my intention (to reapply for a change of name in British passport) etc. I also submitted a statutory declaration and my personal and professional documents in married name. I got a response from HMPO to cancel my Indian passport and send back the cancelled passport. After, I cancelled and sent the Indian passport my British passport was issued in married name.

Hope this helps