ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK IS VERY EXPENSIVE

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dokwal
BANNED

UK IS VERY EXPENSIVE

Post by dokwal » Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:54 pm

UK IS VERY EXPENSIVE dont bring your family without job u will run out of money very quickly

communication transportation , housing every thing very very expensive

gbp 2000 is very less to survive , atleast gbp 5000 / person to take chance in real life , otherwise mental tension

rgds

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:44 pm

i would say, once you get your HSMP approval dont rush things and take your time to plan. i know there is a tendency of once you get your HSMP approval you are at the embassy the next morning for your EC and then on the plane in the next couple of days. I think the most important thing will be to get a job so it is important to do as much 'leg work' as possible before you actually land in the UK, i.e registering with agencies, applying for jobs and setting up interviews if possible. as for the family, it might not be wise to go with you children straight away but if you can at times it is wise to take your partner cause he or she might also be in a better position to get a job before you. so weigh out your chances and plan carefully. even when you get there you will find that london is certainly the most expensive to live in when compared to other towns, but you must go to a place where you chances of getting a job are greater.

try-one
Member of Standing

Scotland

Post by try-one » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:56 pm

Don't forget about scotland, is far cheaper than the south east and there are plenty of jobs there, your money will last longer while you get something and you have better chances.....I think.

Leeds, manchester are also a possibility and again your money will last longer.
read the reports from www.contractoruk.com

aromated

Post by aromated » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:19 am

Hello try-one
ur right. living expenses r less in scotland and job opportunities r great

Ajay Kumar Singh

Post by Ajay Kumar Singh » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:30 pm

True.
You can't rtealize how costly London could be untill n unless you live here.
Even i didn't realize this fact.
Well planning in advance may give you some relief. And also having some friends here may help you while you start living here.

Ajay

VAFamily
Newly Registered

Re: UK IS VERY EXPENSIVE

Post by VAFamily » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:03 pm

dokwal wrote:UK IS VERY EXPENSIVE dont bring your family without job u will run out of money very quickly
As expensive as living in the DC Metro Area? Here I need 100K+USD just to have a place to live and a car and am supporting a family of six.

What is expensive in London? Can I find a flat or house for rent that would have 5 bedrooms?

Developer

Post by Developer » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:23 pm

A house in london with 5 bedrooms in a decent location (not even posh) should cost you £1500 - £1800 per month.

But depending upon work exp and the nature of job. The salaries are good in london.

I think it would little safe if you convert $ figures in US to £ in UK without changing the figure.

To add - London is the 3rd costliest city in the world. Just behind NY, tokyo. So, you can imagine.

taikoo
Newly Registered

Post by taikoo » Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:18 am

Is it possible for those who are already in London to provide approximate per month expenditure, for a family of two adults and two kids? I guess this would help in planning an outlay before moving to London.

Housing(2 bedroom flat):
Provisions:
Conveyance:
Electricity:
Gas:
Water:
Telephone:
Mobile Phone:
Internet:
Cable TV:
School Fee(?):

Thanks and Regards...

dhilipki
Newly Registered

Living costs in London

Post by dhilipki » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:23 am

Taikoo,

Housing depends upon which part of London you live. But generally for a two bedroom flat, expect to spend anywhere between £700-800 PCM (per calendar month). Add another £90-110 PCM for council tax again depending on the area you choose to live.

Provisions are really broad and it really depends upon you. I'm an single Indian and I spent about £250 PCM on food alone, not including my wine/beer spend. Add that & some weekly getaway expenses, my monthly food expenses came to around £500 on an average easily. Keep in mind though that I mostly used to buy ready-to-eat meals and burgers. And I dont have kids yet:) So my guess is that your monthly provisions should run upto £600 PCM easy, provided you cook 90% at home, and not including alcohol et al. But then, I'm a single guy and you'd be well advised to take heed the words of those married guys out there.

For transport, if you're in London, you'll use the tube and bus. You can get monthly, quarterly or annual passes which you can use through out the year. Or if you prefer, you can buy tickets everyday and loose a lot of money!! In London, you travel in zones, i.e., if you have to go from Waterloo station to Canary Wharf, you will be travelling from zone 1 to zone 5 and you will need to buy your tickets accordingly. Passes and tickets are issued based on these zones. There are six zones altogether. The more zones you have to travel, the more you pay for your pass. I used to buy monthly season pass for travel between zone 1 to zone 5 and it used to cost me about £135 per month (about a year back). If you are travelling between only two or three zones expect that to go down a lot. Like in India, monthly passes are for unlimited travel and you can use them to travel using any public transport, i.e., tube & bus. But then, your kids will want to goto the IMAX & Thames once a while!

Expect to spend around £20-30 per month separately on gas, electricity & water on an average. Don't remember how much I used to pay for these three put together. Landlines are generally provided by British Telecom and I used to spend around £20 on calls every month. For calls to India, I generally bought cards which gave access to toll free numbers. Calling toll free numbers from the BT phone is free anytime. You have various choices while choosing your landline, so the cost will depend on what you choose. For mobile, I had a prepaid connection and I guess I spent £45 to get the connection activated. From then on, I topped up around £15 once in two months, but then, I was a prudent (or rather stingy) mobile user and didn't use fancy stuff like GPRS & MMS. Good thing is, incoming calls are free even for prepaid users.

Dial-up Internet costs around £15 per month. I used AOL and there are no line charges (toll free numbers again) and you can stay online as long as you want. All you need is a good dial-up modem and then you are on. Connection speeds are acceptable and good. Its been a year since I came back to India and now I guess, for £20 you get broadband Internet from the likes of Tiscali & even BT. Don't know the initial cost of connection though.

Cable TV is also your choice. You can use NTL, which is a real land based cable connection, or Sky, which is DTH satellite connection. If you don't want cable at all, you will still be able to get five free channels, mostly BBC broadcasts. Sky connections cost anywhere between £40-80 to activate and a minimum of £14 per month. Depending on the channels you activate, this will go up. Sky provides somewhere around 15 channels for the minimum subscription, including the five free to air channels. Oh, and the clincher!! You have to pay the government a "TV license fee" of £116 every year per colour television that you own!!! Don't think you can get away without paying this fee since the TV license team has fairly sophisticated equipment to detect your television without even getting into your home and send you a warning notice. They have mobile teams constantly roaming around with their high-tech vans to find out if any one owns a television and haven't paid up the license fee!! Its an irony, because if you buy a 21" TV, the TV itself would cost only around £100 and you pay more money than the cost of your TV to the government to own it!!

Public schools are free but I don't quite know whether they are free for temporary residents like work permit holders and even for HSMP people. From what I know, private schools are expensive even by British standards.

I guess you can pull the numbers from this verbose text and do the math. For a family of four like yours, the average cost of living will be around £1600-1750 per month, but then, just make sure I got the numbers right for the provisions part. Hope this helps.

gps

Post by gps » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:43 am

Thanks a lot dhilipki for the detailed explanation.
Pl help me to answer few more questions -
1) When I will land in UK, I don't know which parts of the UK I have to go for interviews and job hunt, so what is best option for me. which travel pass I should buy. do travel pass are common for bus and tube.
2) for initial 2-3 days I will use taxi, becoz I am going there first time I don't know any thing abt public trpt there ? how much taxi cost there ?
2) what is the best way to get understanding of the routes in London ?
3) what is the avg cost of cell phone in UK, I have 3310 Nokia phone but it is not dual band so I think it will not work there ? any idea ?
4) what is the normal dress code in UK. in City, in Office, for interview ???
5) If I take travelers cheques from India, can I easily use/convert in Uk ?
6) What is the best way to take cash there ?

Pl reply.
- Gyan

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:02 pm

1) When I will land in UK, I don't know which parts of the UK I have to go for interviews and job hunt, so what is best option for me. which travel pass I should buy. do travel pass are common for bus and tube.

This is fairly simple and tube maps are available at every station and u will be able to figure out soon. Dont worry for this

2) for initial 2-3 days I will use taxi, becoz I am going there first time I don't know any thing abt public trpt there ? how much taxi cost there ?

Dont even think of taxis they are prohibitively expensive. You can buy a travel card which is valid on all buses and trains.

2) what is the best way to get understanding of the routes in London ?

Study the railway tube map, which u can do once u are here. It is really very simple.

3) what is the avg cost of cell phone in UK, I have 3310 Nokia phone but it is not dual band so I think it will not work there ? any idea ?

U can use your 3310 phone and instal a pay-as-you-go chip

4) what is the normal dress code in UK. in City, in Office, for interview ???

Suit or blazer. Preferably shades of grey and black

5) If I take travelers cheques from India, can I easily use/convert in Uk ?

Yes. There are money changing kiosks(bureau de change) at airport and all over the city.

6) What is the best way to take cash there ?

Take some GBP cash/TC and remaining GBP DD in your name which you can deposit in your account which you will open once u are here.

dhilipki
Newly Registered

Post by dhilipki » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:27 pm

Just to second what Rog said on taxis. You might as well buy a monthly pass or even a bi-monthly one for the amount you will spend on taxis while in London!! Just forget that thought! However, there are atleast two types of taxis, the famed "black-cabs" which are the official taxis. These are the ones which are prohibitively expensive. And then there are mini-cabs, the unofficial ones which are operated by many private operators which also includes illegal immigrants & asylum seekers who can't speak a word of English. You might be well-advised to study the tube map and start using it from day one. Its really that simple. You can use http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/ or http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/ to learn about transport in and around London. For your other questions, there are already a lot of posts in this forum which should be useful to you.

gps

Post by gps » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:11 am

Thanks a lot Rog & dhilipki.

dokwal
BANNED

transport is expensive from jan 2 2005

Post by dokwal » Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:25 pm

Cost of transportion is gone up by 20 %

very expensive for those working 3 to 5 pound per hour

regards

taikoo
Newly Registered

Post by taikoo » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:26 am

Dear Dhilipki, Thanks so much for the detailed note. It will definitely help me in planning my budget for my initial 'unemployed' days in UK.

However, is there any one out there who could give me a bit more guidance on Public schools? whether I can enrol my kids (in grade 10 and grade 4) in public schools? is there any fee that I need to pay? what kind of selection process the school/s adopt to select their students? and finally, how do I select a suitable public schools for my kids i.e., I select the school first and then look for accommodation in that area or I select an area for accommodation and look for a school in that area?

Any help on this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks...