ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applied 6 months ago, HO asking for more proofs

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Gabrielle72

Applied 6 months ago, HO asking for more proofs

Post by Gabrielle72 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:11 am

Hi everyone

This is very very urgent. I need someone's advice please. My application reached 6 months, I haven't heard anything from them up until today, when they sent me a letter asking for more alternative evidence of my residence, and my children residence even if i sent them proves in the first place.Also, they are saying that my English certificates are not considered because they are recognized by OCR and not ESOL. I've got a Master Degree and now I'm also studying at a BSc(Hons) here.Should this not be enough evidence of my English qualification? And they gave me just 10 days to reply .I mean what have they done for 6 months? Why they haven't told me before? Can someone advise please? Should i complain?

Member of Standing

Re: Applied 6 months ago, HO asking for more proofs

Post by member » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:56 am

Gabrielle72 wrote:Hi everyone

This is very very urgent. I need someone's advice please. My application reached 6 months, I haven't heard anything from them up until today, when they sent me a letter asking for more alternative evidence of my residence, and my children residence even if i sent them proves in the first place.Also, they are saying that my English certificates are not considered because they are recognized by OCR and not ESOL. I've got a Master Degree and now I'm also studying at a BSc(Hons) here.Should this not be enough evidence of my English qualification? And they gave me just 10 days to reply .I mean what have they done for 6 months? Why they haven't told me before? Can someone advise please? Should i complain?
Is your Master Degree issued by an accredited institute in the UK?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:20 pm

It is quite normal to hear nothing from HO for months and months. And applicants are asked not to chase up applications before 6 months have passed.
Complaints are unlikely to resolve this situation and there are no appeal rights.

It is up to applicant to prove presence / residency in UK for appropriate time so you will have to dig around for further supporting evidence on that.

If you applied before November 2015 was your English certificate listed as an ESOL qualification (at at least CEFR level B1) by Ofqual on this website?
http://register.ofqual.gov.uk/Qualification
Did you check at the time?
If so it should have been acceptable for an application filed before rules changed last November.
Have you got a copy of your application?

Which specific questions on English did you respond to?
(If you answered the incorrect/inappropriate sections you are likely to have confused the caseworker; they do not use common sense nor give benefit of doubt).

Alternately, a Masters degree studied in English may be acceptable proof of English. (Still studying an incompleted BSc is not adequate proof of English).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Rizcon

Post by Rizcon » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:36 pm

Hi,
I got the same sort of letter after 5 months and asking me to send the birth certificate of my son, but nothing else though I provided it with the application but it was my mistake though as I didn't send the one which has both parents name on it.
Could you please check your letter and let me know that whether HO printed the details of the applicant which are gonna appear on registration certificate and asking you to check them.
You will find these at the back of your letter in case they are following the same procedures for the all applicants.

Gabrielle72

Post by Gabrielle72 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:52 pm

Hello again guys..

Thank you so much all of you for your answers. I sent the requested documents on time. Unfortunately I think I'm gonna get refused because i got another letter today saying that even if my Master Degree is comparable to a British Taught Master Degree as confirmed by the UK NARIC because was not taught in English they wont accept it. For me this doesn't make any sense because UK NARIC is their organization right? If they said that my studies are recognized here why they don't want to accept it? Plus I've been hired by the NHS and I've been working for the Trust for a few good years based on that Master Degree diploma! Also now they asking me to provide a ESOL certificate at level CEFR B1.1. which I checked and is the basic level about how to ask for a bank account or other basic stuff.My English level is above this certificate and they know it because i sent them payslips and also proves of what I'm currently studying. Why they disregard all of this? They gave me deadline until the 16th of April to send the certificate which obviously they knew that I can't because probably it takes months to get it. They completely ignored my questions asked in my previous letter and i don't think that what is happening is right so I need your advice on this. I already sent a letter today to my MP .Does anybody knows who's the Secretary of State that takes the decision? I found James Brokenshire in charge of the Immigration. Should I write to him? Thank you

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:02 pm

Gabrielle72 wrote:Hello again guys..

Thank you so much all of you for your answers. I sent the requested documents on time. Unfortunately I think I'm gonna get refused because i got another letter today saying that even if my Master Degree is comparable to a British Taught Master Degree as confirmed by the UK NARIC because was not taught in English they wont accept it. For me this doesn't make any sense because UK NARIC is their organization right? If they said that my studies are recognized here why they don't want to accept it? Plus I've been hired by the NHS and I've been working for the Trust for a few good years based on that Master Degree diploma! Also now they asking me to provide a ESOL certificate at level CEFR B1.1. which I checked and is the basic level about how to ask for a bank account or other basic stuff.My English level is above this certificate and they know it because i sent them payslips and also proves of what I'm currently studying. Why they disregard all of this? They gave me deadline until the 16th of April to send the certificate which obviously they knew that I can't because probably it takes months to get it. They completely ignored my questions asked in my previous letter and i don't think that what is happening is right so I need your advice on this. I already sent a letter today to my MP .Does anybody knows who's the Secretary of State that takes the decision? I found James Brokenshire in charge of the Immigration. Should I write to him? Thank you
First rule of UK immigration is follow the rules and meet the requirements.
Logic and common sense does not apply here, you are dealing with a government bureaucracy.

You need evidence of a degree that was studied in English; (not one being studied now).
If your Masters was not studied in English it is not acceptable.

Wasting time trying to argue & reason with these people is just distracting you and simply means your application is likely to be refused.

Suggest book an emergency SELT on Monday & get it over with (however much of an affront to your pride and your fluency that may seem).
After all, it will clearly be a walk in the park and doing so may yet manage to save your application (& the not inconsiderable fee).

Alternately, as I asked you previously...

If you applied before November 2015 was your English certificate listed as an ESOL qualification (at at least CEFR level B1) by Ofqual on this website
http://register.ofqual.gov.uk/Qualification :?:
:arrow: Did you check at the time :?:

If so it should have been acceptable for an application filed before rules changed last November.

Have you got a copy of your application form :?:
Which specific questions on English did you respond to :?: 1.2x ?

Note: If you answered the incorrect/inappropriate sections on the form you are likely to have confused the caseworker;
they do not use common sense nor give benefit of doubt.

Gabrielle72

Post by Gabrielle72 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:44 pm

I forgot to add that my OCR certificates were done in 2011 and my husband 's certificates were done through Job Center in 2015 from The City and Guilds of London Institute witch is regulated by Ofqual. He has English at Entry 3 (writing,speaking,reading). The application has been made in October last year before they changed the rules.

RRSB2012

Post by RRSB2012 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:43 pm

Gabrielle,
Noajthan's advice is correct and very useful. you wont win by arguing with Immigration authorities.
Me and My wife are both first language English speakers (especially my wife does not know any other language other than English) but we were required to provide Proof of English.

B1 SELT certificate can be obtained in a week and the test itself will not last more than 5-6 minutes. This would be easy way out.
Cheers
R

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:42 pm

Gabrielle72 wrote:I forgot to add that my OCR certificates were done in 2011 and my husband 's certificates were done through Job Center in 2015 from The City and Guilds of London Institute witch is regulated by Ofqual. He has English at Entry 3 (writing,speaking,reading). The application has been made in October last year before they changed the rules.
If listed on the Ofqual website such an ESOL certificate (at CEFR B1, or higher) should have been acceptable for applications filed before November 2015.

If using such a certificate you should not have checked or answered any SELT-related questions on the application form. Doing so could have contributed to your present uncomfortable situation.

See, as an example, this case:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 95173.html

However, if not listed by Ofqual then I'm afraid its game over unless you can quickly get a SELT.

Gabrielle72

Post by Gabrielle72 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:28 am

I booked a test for tomorrow at 10am. Paid another £215..Anyway, the thing is even if I pass the certificate comes in 2 weeks. They gave me deadline until 16th. How can I notify them that I passed the test ? I don't know if i will get the certificate until 16th so not sure what to do next..Advice please..Thank you

Gabrielle72

Post by Gabrielle72 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:12 pm

Hi guys..

Done the test yesterday and passed. I can't believe I paid £225 for just less then 5min "test". It's a joke..I've sent the confirmation letter that they gave me with special delivery and I mentioned that I will send the certificate in a few days . I hope they will accept the provisional confirmation letter. I've done everything they've asked me for. Let's see what they going to ask me next :cry:

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:43 am

£225 :shock: where did you do the test? When I did mine at Trinity College in January, it was only £150 :o

Gabrielle72

Post by Gabrielle72 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:31 pm

Trinity College in Birmingham a few days ago !You've been lucky then :(

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:32 pm

Still shows as £150 for me! Which test did you do :?: :shock:

Gabrielle72

Post by Gabrielle72 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:11 pm

I've done CEFR B1.1 :) look under this site http://www.englishtestuk.co.uk/exam_date I've booked the test through them..

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:17 pm

Well it looks like you've booked through a third party and they've whacked a £75 fee on top for the privilege :shock:

If you had booked through Trinity College's website directly you would have only paid £150 :?

All I can say is...unlucky :|

https://www.trinityselt.co.uk/

Gabrielle72

Post by Gabrielle72 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:30 pm

well, it doesn't matter anymore..I was desperate .I passed , I sent the paper..Let's hope that they will be content with everything and now they will make a decision coz I had enough with them.. :( I've spent so much money with this application is unreal :(

Gabrielle72

Post by Gabrielle72 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:26 pm

Hi everyone

My journey finished now. Yesterday I got the letter with the confirmation that my citizenship has been granted. Happy that is over. Good luck everyone. This site is been very helpful. Many thanks for your support:) Can anyone please tell me how to apply for the passports now? many thanks again

Gabrielle72

Post by Gabrielle72 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:43 pm

I found thihttps://passportapplication.service.gov.uk/ips-olc/s site for online passport applications. Is it ok to apply here? Also do I need to send my original British certificate to them? Do I need to wait for the ceremony first isn't it and after that to apply for my passports? Thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:43 pm

Passport (FAQs, forms, and guidance).
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:50 pm

You won't be able to apply for your passport until you've attended your BC ceremony. You will also have to attend an interview before the passport can be issued. BRP must be returned within 5 days of the ceremony to avoid a £1000 fine!
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Gabrielle72

Post by Gabrielle72 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:13 pm

Thank you:)

Gabrielle72

Post by Gabrielle72 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:17 pm

Thank you again.The BRP is the biometric that we've done it at the begging isn't it? I don't have any other permit. So , I have to return all the letters with the biometrics after the ceremony? Where do I send them?
Last edited by Gabrielle72 on Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:21 pm

Gabrielle72 wrote:Thank you again. I know is going to sound stupid but what is BRP ?
Biometric Residence Permit
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Gabrielle72

Post by Gabrielle72 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:33 am

Hello again everyone..

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this please..I want to go to Amsterdam for a short trip. Can I use my old passport at the border or can I go outside the UK between now and when I get the new British passport?Many thanks:)