ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Biometrics in USA (for MN1 3(1) application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Lizzie64
Newly Registered

Biometrics in USA (for MN1 3(1) application

Post by Lizzie64 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:09 pm

Hi,

Is there anyone else on here who has recently applied for UK Citizenship whilst resident in the USA?

I am a dual UK/US citizen and have applied for UK Citizenship for my adopted children. The fees have been charged to my credit card and I am now waiting for the letter of acknowledgement and the Biometric letters.

Has anyone had to travel to the UK prior to receipt of the Biometric letter? We may need to visit the UK for several weeks soon and, while I am hoping that we will have been able to get Biometrics done before we travel, I am concerned about missing the letter while we are away.

Has anyone updated their application with a temporary UK address after applying from the US and before having the Biometrics done?

bfrenchfry

Re: Biometrics in USA (for MN1 3(1) application

Post by bfrenchfry » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:03 pm

Lizzie64 wrote:Hi,

Is there anyone else on here who has recently applied for UK Citizenship whilst resident in the USA?

I am a dual UK/US citizen and have applied for UK Citizenship for my adopted children. The fees have been charged to my credit card and I am now waiting for the letter of acknowledgement and the Biometric letters.

Has anyone had to travel to the UK prior to receipt of the Biometric letter? We may need to visit the UK for several weeks soon and, while I am hoping that we will have been able to get Biometrics done before we travel, I am concerned about missing the letter while we are away.

Has anyone updated their application with a temporary UK address after applying from the US and before having the Biometrics done?
Lizzie, there is currently no way to do biometrics in the US. I (along with a number of similar applicants) have been waiting 7+ months now and all we keep getting are letters saying they missed another deadline setting it up. I got a letter last month saying if it was an emergency I could go to Canada or Mexico at my expense and do it, but they still havent responded to me with the info so I can. Another person got the same letter, but they still haven't returned his passport so he can't even travel to complete it. They said they'd contact us in January and give us a status update when they think they might finally have centers up and running.

Lizzie64
Newly Registered

Post by Lizzie64 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:18 pm

bfrenchfry,

Thank you so much for your reply.

How awful! I feel so bad for you and anyone else who has been waiting so long and now are just stuck. The poor person who doesn't even have their passport back :(

I actually delayed applying earlier in the year because at that time they were saying 31 May for roll out so I thought I would wait till after then. So then, when we were in the UK this summer we went to a NCS office in Nottingham so we wouldn't have to part with our documents. When we got there they said that we could not apply because the children were in the UK! We explained we were there on vacation and the application was all in our US address, our place of residence. They called the Home Office for us twice to get it confirmed and the staff at the HO insisted that the application could not be submitted while the children were in the country and the application had to be mailed from the US.

So NCS photocopied our documents and then we had to mail the applications (the ones we had in our hands at the NCS) once we were back home in the US, whole thing was ridiculous. I still believe it was actually wrong but of course we were absolutely powerless and at that point we were grateful that they would at least let us have our documents photocopied.

Sorry that was a long vent!

We have to be in the UK soon and I was hoping to have the biometrics done before we go. Not sure what to do now.

Thanks again for your reply I really appreciate it and I'm so sorry you are caught up in this mess of a delay. Do you have to be in the UK by a certain date?

bfrenchfry

Post by bfrenchfry » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:43 pm

Lizzie64 wrote:bfrenchfry,

Thank you so much for your reply.

How awful! I feel so bad for you and anyone else who has been waiting so long and now are just stuck. The poor person who doesn't even have their passport back :(

I actually delayed applying earlier in the year because at that time they were saying 31 May for roll out so I thought I would wait till after then. So then, when we were in the UK this summer we went to a NCS office in Nottingham so we wouldn't have to part with our documents. When we got there they said that we could not apply because the children were in the UK! We explained we were there on vacation and the application was all in our US address, our place of residence. They called the Home Office for us twice to get it confirmed and the staff at the HO insisted that the application could not be submitted while the children were in the country and the application had to be mailed from the US.

So NCS photocopied our documents and then we had to mail the applications (the ones we had in our hands at the NCS) once we were back home in the US, whole thing was ridiculous. I still believe it was actually wrong but of course we were absolutely powerless and at that point we were grateful that they would at least let us have our documents photocopied.

Sorry that was a long vent!

We have to be in the UK soon and I was hoping to have the biometrics done before we go. Not sure what to do now.

Thanks again for your reply I really appreciate it and I'm so sorry you are caught up in this mess of a delay. Do you have to be in the UK by a certain date?
Ugh, that sounds awful as well! It really seems no matter who you can manage to get in touch with, no one knows what they're doing over there. Since they only took copies of your passport and you still have the originals you should be able to travel. The biometrics document when it arrives gives you 21 days to book the appointment and then they'll send you another letter if you missed the first one. If you're in the US though, most likely you won't get the invitation until the new year anyways. Maybe you can just have someone check your mail while you're away just to be safe?

And yes, I've turned down 3 jobs now in the UK because of the delays. In January I'll have to resign my lease (to only break it shortly thereafter hopefully) or move into some temporary housing. I've actually been at this for over a year when they told me to fill out a separate form last year, then contacted me after 5.5 months saying oh now we've made up a new form called UKF, so we're returning all your stuff and you have to apply all over again with the same documents. To say I'm frustrated is an understatement of epic proportions.

Lizzie64
Newly Registered

Post by Lizzie64 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:26 pm

bfrenchfry,

I'm so sorry I can imagine how frustrating and stressful that is. It is impossible to plan your life and make decisions when you are in limbo like this. The general public in the UK has absolutely no idea how difficult the process is.

It is dreadful that they made you use the new form when you had already waited so long on the old one!

The trouble is they hold all the power :( Do you have any family or friends in the UK who could write to their MP on your behalf? I don't know if it would even make any difference but might be worth trying if it's an option available to you.

You have waited so long but hang in there, it will be worth it in the end, although I expect it isn't feeling much like that to you right now.

I've been trying to think what my best plan is but it's so difficult to know what to do. I am so sorry you and others are going through this but, and I know this sounds weird, there is some comfort in knowing I'm not alone in my frustration. Unless someone is in the process themselves it's hard for them to understand how difficult it is.

j3brooklyn
Newly Registered

Post by j3brooklyn » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:17 am

Any update on the status for those needing to submit biometrics from the USA?

Fulgrun
Newly Registered

Post by Fulgrun » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:57 pm

j3brooklyn wrote:Any update on the status for those needing to submit biometrics from the USA?
As of march biometrics are still unavailable in the USA and they are not reporting a time frame when they will be.

j3brooklyn
Newly Registered

Post by j3brooklyn » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:33 am

In that case, can I apply now from the US and complete the biometrics while in the UK in July? Would an applicant from the US receive a biometrics invitation that is accepted at a UK Post Office? If so, is there a maximum time between applying and submitting the biometrics? If approved after turning 18, must he return for a naturalization ceremony?

Lizzie64
Newly Registered

Post by Lizzie64 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:19 pm

j3brooklyn wrote:In that case, can I apply now from the US and complete the biometrics while in the UK in July? Would an applicant from the US receive a biometrics invitation that is accepted at a UK Post Office? If so, is there a maximum time between applying and submitting the biometrics? If approved after turning 18, must he return for a naturalization ceremony?
Hi j3brooklyn,

We applied from the US and have just come back from doing the biometrics in the UK.

Below is the timeline etc. for our process so far - probably way more detail than you need but I hope it is of some help. Of course, the timelines vary greatly depending on specifics of applications, the caseworker etc. so may be different for you. Also bear in mind that the HO seems to be forever changing things so maybe when you get your receipt letter they will actually have biometric locations in the USA - just don't hold your breath ;)

You can not do the biometrics without a letter of invitation to do them and you can not get that until you have submitted your application and received confirmation of this from the HO, so in your plans do allow time for that process to take place.

Our children are younger than yours so I do not know info about the ceremony after turning 18

MN1 Application from USA
Four weeks after our application was received by the HO we received a letter from them with our case numbers and telling us that the biometrics still can not be done in the USA. The letter explained that if our case is urgent then we could send an email to NationalityBiometricsOverseas@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk explaining the urgency and requesting a biometrics invitation letter for another country, they suggested Canada or Mexico.

I emailed, explained the urgency and asked if we could take them in the Canada or the UK. I got an email reply 5 days later. The reply was:-

"1. Yes if your children are visiting the UK, they are able to enrol their biometrics.

2. Yes, once you inform us where you intend to enrol we can issue a biometric enrolment letter, the reason for this is that enrolment in the UK and Overseas take place on different computer systems and require different barcode on the biometric enrolment letters.

3. As you are a US National, we urge you to enrol as soon as possible. The UK letter states 15 working days, and the overseas stats 30 working days, however due to the issues you have faced with enrolment in the US, we will not enforce these time frames, we will just encourage you to enrol as soon as possible.

4. Yes, once we have confirmation of your enrolment country, we will email the biometric enrolment letter."

We opted to do the biometrics in the UK and once our plans were in place I emailed back requesting the UK Biometric letters. Received an email 17 days later asking for confirmation of the name, date of birth, nationality and relationship to the child of the responsible adult who will be accompanying them. This was already listed on our application but I emailed the info straight back. I received a reply 7 days later asking me when we would be in the UK so that they could make sure the "timescale for children’s biometric enrolment is correct i.e. 15 working days from the date on the letter. For example; if you are not due to visit till April or May, I would advise you to notify us approximately 2 weeks before your flight so as the biometric enrolment letters can be emailed to you at the appropriate time"

I replied pointing out that this question could have been asked in the prior emails and that indeed in their first email (bear in mind all this correspondence was in one long email thread) they said we didn't have to comply with the 15 days. As it happened prior experience had lead me not to trust that to be the case so I specifically emailed my request so that we would be within the 15 days and then had to change our plans because of the time it took to actually get the email with the pdf of the letters attached.

The emails I received from them were all sent on Saturdays or Sundays so my guess is that they only work on answering email enquries about alternative biometric locations to the USA on the weekends and the length of time for reply reflects that if they don't get to your email one weekend then it waits inline until the next weekend and so on.

MN1 for 3 adopted children
Eligibility criteria: Section 3 (1)
Method of Application: NCS Nottingham (documents copied) actual applications had to be mailed later from USA because the HO said we could not submit the application while we were visiting the UK with our children for the summer vacation! Still not convinced this is correct but we had no choice.
Date of receipt by Home Office: 16/10/2015
Date of debit of fees: 05/11/2015
Date of receipt of acknowledgement:
Letter dated 14/11/2016 (currently biometrics can not be done in the USA - emailed address in letter to request to do in UK)
Date Biometric letter received: 05/03/2016 via email
Date Biometric given: 18/03/2016 Stamford Post Office UK
Date of receipt of approval:
Date of receipt of documents:

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:52 pm

2. Yes, once you inform us where you intend to enrol we can issue a biometric enrolment letter, the reason for this is that enrolment in the UK and Overseas take place on different computer systems and require different barcode on the biometric enrolment letters.
Exactly as I expected. It's good to know that HO will arrange for you to enrol in the UK though. Bear in mind that they do not even begin to consider the application until biometrics have been enrolled, so it's in your interests to do it as soon as possible.

Lizzie64
Newly Registered

Post by Lizzie64 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:29 pm

ohara wrote: Exactly as I expected. It's good to know that HO will arrange for you to enrol in the UK though.
I'm afraid I don't consider it "good" of them so much as the absolute least they can do considering it has been a full year since they made it a requirement to have biometrics done and yet they have STILL, as of today, not provided anywhere in the US for them to be done!
ohara wrote: Bear in mind that they do not even begin to consider the application until biometrics have been enrolled, so it's in your interests to do it as soon as possible.
Also bear in mind that it will take several weeks from submitting the application before you can even request to do the biometrics and that in mine, and other peoples cases, it can take weeks from making the request to actually receiving the enrollment letters from them.

It is expensive, inconvenient and time consuming to have to make arrangements to travel to another country to do the biometrics especially if the application is for children where an adult also has to accompany them (so another plane ticket to buy if flying).

It is frustrating that they do nothing with the applications until the Biometrics have been provided, apart from taking the fees of course!

As a British citizen I am ashamed of the length of time some people on this board have had to wait to get their applications processed. I can only hope that my children's applications won't take as long :(

Sorry Ohara, I know you were only, and very helpfully, trying to highlight the importance of getting the Biometrics done ASAP! It's just that when trying to do exactly that involves waiting to get the letters requested and then co-ordinate work schedules, school schedules and vacation days so you can pay for expensive flights to another country it's hard to not vent a bit at the idea that it is "good" of them ;)

j3brooklyn
Newly Registered

Post by j3brooklyn » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:38 pm

Thanks, Lizzie64, your detailed info is incredibly helpful. We have a trip to the UK planned for July, so it shouldn't be a problem to get all the email back and forth taken care of well before then. The only thing I need to do now is determine if my son will need to show up in the UK for a naturalization ceremony, as getting the biometrics in the UK in July means he's unlikely to get approved before his 18th birthday on November 5. It might end up being cheaper to fly to Canada for the biometrics, rather than to the UK for the ceremony.

Lizzie64
Newly Registered

Post by Lizzie64 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:31 pm

j3brooklyn,

You are very welcome, I'm glad it was of some help :)

When you are at the point of emailing to request to do the Biometrics in Canada or UK definitely include the info like the adult who will accompany him and the dates of your travel so you don't get caught in the email back and forth that I did! The emails I got were from at least two different people, possibly 3 and they clearly don't scroll down and read the prior emails.

My "guess" would be that if your son turns 18 before citizenship is granted he will have to attend a ceremony but I think he might be able to do it the British Embassy in the US. Here is a link to some info and below a link to a thread where others have had to attend a ceremony outside the UK although they are not MN1 applications and I don't recall anyone posting about doing this in the US, but I imagine it could be the same.

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... ceremonies
"Ceremonies outside the UK
If you’re registering to become a British citizen and you can’t be in the UK, your citizenship ceremony will take place at the embassy or consulate in the country you’re living in.

You’ll need to make an oath or affirmation of allegiance but you won’t need to attend a citizenship ceremony if you’re registering to become a:
British overseas territories citizen
British overseas citizen
British subject"

Here is the thread I mentioned - if you have a look through the posts there might be something on there that helps.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 2-440.html

Good luck with it all, fingers crossed you might get lucky and everything be completed before he turns 18!

j3brooklyn
Newly Registered

Post by j3brooklyn » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:03 pm

Lizzie64,
Thanks for the advice; I'll remember to provide all the info when emailing. From the link and also other sources, it appears that the ceremony can be done at a consulate or embassy here. Certainly more convenient (and less expensive) than traveling to the UK.

Unlikely that it will be processed before he turns 18, as we will likely turn in Biometrics mid-July, leaving less than 4 months before his birthday. Not a big deal, but I'd rather avoid the £80 ceremony fee if possible.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:29 am

Lizzie64 wrote:So then, when we were in the UK this summer we went to a NCS office in Nottingham so we wouldn't have to part with our documents. When we got there they said that we could not apply because the children were in the UK!
That's odd.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Lizzie64
Newly Registered

Post by Lizzie64 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:06 pm

vinny wrote:
Lizzie64 wrote:So then, when we were in the UK this summer we went to a NCS office in Nottingham so we wouldn't have to part with our documents. When we got there they said that we could not apply because the children were in the UK!
That's odd.
I'm pretty sure they were not "odd" but actually wrong to refuse to allow the NCS to send our applications.

The thread you link to is a very different case to ours. The MN1 form is used for so many different situations. We are British citizens (with dual US citizenship by naturalization) who are returning to live in the UK. Our children were adopted Internationally while we were living here in the US and have US citizenship. Since they were adopted they do not automatically receive UK citizenship through us in the way they would if they were our biological children, hence we had to apply for it via the MN1 form. They can not be resident in the UK without either a settlement visa/Indefinite leave to remain or their British citizenship. They can be on vacation in the UK!