ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen visa with a gap between trips

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kat khu
Newly Registered

Schengen visa with a gap between trips

Post by kat khu » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:28 pm

Today I've applied for a Schengen visa to France in TLScontact centre in London. My first trip is in March to Netherlands for 3 days and the next one is in June to France for 6 days.
My good friend suggested me to save money and to apply for the one Schengen visa that covers both trips in the Embassy of the Main destination country (which in my case is France).

However, today my application have been questioned by TLScontact. I've got a comment that there is a high risk that it could be failed and I won't get the visa at all. And the reason is that there is a gap of 1 month between the trips and the country of entry is not France but Netherlands. And the fact that I directly ask for the visa that covers both of my trips and provide all bought tickets and hotels reservations both in Paris and Amsterdam plays against me.
I've been told that there are 3 possible outcomes for my case:
1) I will get a visa since March, so I will be able to travel to Netherlands too.
2) I will get a visa since June, and the document for the trip to Amsterdam will be simply ignored.
3) The visa will be rejected and there is a high risk for this result.

Q1: What do you think is a possible result I should be ready for?

Q2: Why would they reject my visa if I openly provide all the documents and everything is legal and clear?

Q3: Is it possible that there could be different rules for the Embassies of different countries but which are in the same Schengen zone?

Back story: My friend (also based in UK) followed the same procedure to travel first to Spain(4 days) and then to Poland (7 days) with the gap between the travels of 3 months! When in Spanish Embassy she asked whether it was possible to get a longer visa since in 3 months after her trip to Spain she had a plan to go to Poland, she was suggested to apply via Polish Embassy because her stay in Poland supposed to be longer. There was no problems or comments in Polish Embassy and 2 weeks after she got her multiple-entry Polish Schengen Visa with the date of enter 3 months earlier than her supposed trip to Poland, just because she informed them about her planned trip to Spain. She was also told in both Embassies that if the gap between planned trips to Schengen countries doesn't exceed 3 months it's possible to apply for the multiple visa that covers both trips. And it has to be done via the Embassy of the Main country (with longest stay).

Q4: Have you heard about these rules? I couldn't find any official data in web. Would be highly appreciate if you share.

Thank you!

Cayos

Re: Schengen visa with a gap between trips

Post by Cayos » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:43 am

Hi! I closely work with TLS Contact and I know that the rule is that you apply through the French Consulate in three cases:
1. You have booked one trip and that trip is for France.
2. You have booked a trip to a few Schengen countries (without gaps) and you are going to spend more days in France than in any other Schengen country.
3. You have booked a trip to a few Schengen countries (without gaps), you are going to spend equal amount of days in each country but France is your first port of entry.
If an applicant's itinerary doesn't match one of these scenarios, the French Visa Application Centre normally warn them that the Consulate will most likely reject the application. Then it's up to the applicant whether they want to insist on sending the file to the Consulate anyway.
As far as I know the French Consulate is not as lenient as the Polish but of course there is always a chance that the visa will still be issued.

So these rules can be found on the official website of the European Commission although they do not specify that the trips must be planned without gaps - http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/wh ... ons_en.pdf (Please see Q5).

kat khu
Newly Registered

Re: Schengen visa with a gap between trips

Post by kat khu » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:45 pm

Just an update that could be useful for someone: I got the visa that day from the scenario 1. for 3 months and additionally travelled to Spain to get most of it. Probably I was just lucky that time :)