ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

AN and MN1 queries

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jalil

AN and MN1 queries

Post by jalil » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:58 am

I am on ILR since May 2015 and planning to apply for naturalisation using AN form.
A little bit of background:

My surname is two word but in my initial passport I used when I got my first UK student visa back in 2007, passport office put these two words together and my surname became one word since then (e.g correct form of surname which I intend to use : JUST EXAMPLE appeared in passport: JUSTEXAMPLE). As a consequence in all my documents I am using this lone 15 letter surname.

My question is: Can I use correct form of my surname which is literally a space in the middle of my currently used surname without any extra letters and explain in page 22 as described in the AN form without changing my current passport which is valid for another two years? Do I need to take further action or this should be enough?

I know I have to change everything in my bank accounts utilities and other official documents.

I really appreciate any advice on this.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Surname amendment on AN form

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:16 pm

You need to state your name as it appears in your foreign passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jalil

Post by jalil » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:24 pm

CR001 wrote:You need to state your name as it appears in your foreign passport.

CR001 Many thanks for your reply. But I wonder why someone puts their name differently from their official documents. I mean I can not think of any other scenarios than cases like mine!
1.6 Other names (Please note: Your name will be shown on your certificate so please ensure
it is spelt correctly and you have written it in the correct order. We would expect this to be the
same as on your official documents. If this name is not the name used on your current passport
or travel document, or is spelt differently, you must explain why on page 22)
Can I put my surname as it is in the current passport and explain in page 22 that I need to have correct form of my surname to be used in my certificate?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:34 pm

HO will only issue a naturalisation certificate and HMPO a passport, based on the name that appears on your foreign passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

JohnnyZee

Post by JohnnyZee » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:59 pm

CR001 wrote:HO will only issue a naturalisation certificate and HMPO a passport, based on the name that appears on your foreign passport.
Not entirely true!

HO may issue a naturalisation certificate on the name you would like to use going forward. You need to explain in the AN form what you are trying to achieve.

However, HMPO will NOT issue a UK passport in the new name unless you cancel your existing foreign passport with the old name (or get name changed in foreign passport first). HMPO are pretty strict about this.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:12 pm

JohnnyZee wrote:
CR001 wrote:HO will only issue a naturalisation certificate and HMPO a passport, based on the name that appears on your foreign passport.
Not entirely true!

HO may issue a naturalisation certificate on the name you would like to use going forward. You need to explain in the AN form what you are trying to achieve.

However, HMPO will NOT issue a UK passport in the new name unless you cancel your existing foreign passport with the old name (or get name changed in foreign passport first). HMPO are pretty strict about this.
HO have become quite strict too. If you want to change your name, you have to provide proof. I was even asked to do this back in 2012 when I did my daughters citizenship application and forgot to write her middle name on the form. The letter I received stated quite clearly that unless I provide evidence of her name change, her citizenship certificate will be issued in her name as it appears in her foreign passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

jalil

Naturalisation documents and AN form

Post by jalil » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:20 pm

Senior memebr,

Could you please advise me on these questions?

I have a NCS appointment in few weeks time to submit my BC application.

1. I am in full employment for past six years and before that I was full time student. I have my ILR for 12 months now.

Do I need to get employment history letter from HMRC or my last year P60 should be enough?
I had no formal employment during my studentship but made few hundred quid by invigilating exams that have no record or detail for.

2. Regarding part 1.22 of AN form for my wife (she has got ILR at the same time as me and provided her B1 certificate from Trinity College London),she has ticked "I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013" as I got my ILR and for language I provided my degree researched in a UK university.

Do I to answer Question 1.23 as well?

Many thanks for any advice?

Jalil

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Naturalisation documents and AN form

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:27 pm

1. No, you don't need HMRC emp history of P60s. All employment for last 10 years must be declared in the form.

2. No, only relevant if you tick the first box re English SELT.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

leavetoremain

Post by leavetoremain » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:28 pm

I got my approval recently. Here are the list of documents:

1. Duly filled and signed application form (AN1) with photographs
2. Original copy of Life in the UK Test certificate (photocopy will be given during NCS appointment)
3. Photocopy of current passport (taken from the original during NCS appointment)
4. Photocopy of marriage certificate (taken from the original during NCS appointment)
5. Photocopy of degree certificate (taken from the original during NCS appointment)
6. PPBS calculator print-out (not accepted any longer but if you got settlement after Oct 2013 there is no need to produce any evidence for English Knowedge although I would recommend getting one from UK NARIC to be on the safer side).

jalil

Post by jalil » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:01 pm

CR001 wrote:1. No, you don't need HMRC emp history of P60s. All employment for last 10 years must be declared in the form.

2. No, only relevant if you tick the first box re English SELT.

Many thanks for your reply and clear answers!

jalil

Post by jalil » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:02 pm

leavetoremain wrote:I got my approval recently. Here are the list of documents:

1. Duly filled and signed application form (AN1) with photographs
2. Original copy of Life in the UK Test certificate (photocopy will be given during NCS appointment)
3. Photocopy of current passport (taken from the original during NCS appointment)
4. Photocopy of marriage certificate (taken from the original during NCS appointment)
5. Photocopy of degree certificate (taken from the original during NCS appointment)
6. PPBS calculator print-out (not accepted any longer but if you got settlement after Oct 2013 there is no need to produce any evidence for English Knowedge although I would recommend getting one from UK NARIC to be on the safer side).
Many thanks for your reply.

jalil

Child under 12 Born Abroad British Citizenship Registration

Post by jalil » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:50 pm

Senior members,

I have a NCS appointment in few weeks time to submit BC applications for myself, my wife and my 11 years old child born abroad (all three of us have ILR for 12 months).

1. Can my child apply to register as BC at the same time with me and my wife and under which section of BC act?

2. Do I need to fill in section 3 of MN1 form or leave it blank?

3. What documents do I need to provide together with MN1 form as well as, all current and cancelled passports, original and English translation of foreign Birth Certificate and ILR?

Any advice much appreciated!

Jalil

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child under 12 Born Abroad British Citizenship Registrat

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:54 pm

1. Yes. Child born abroad is registered under section 3(1) of the nationality act.

2. Section 3 is not relevant.

3. Have you read the MN1 guidance notes? or the FAQs - Children (click)?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:56 pm

jalil wrote:Senior members,

I have a NCS appointment in few weeks time to submit BC applications for myself, my wife and my 11 years old child born abroad (all three of us have ILR for 12 months).

1. Can my child apply to register as BC at the same time with me and my wife and under which section of BC act?

3. What documents do I need to provide together with MN1 form as well as, all current and cancelled passports, original and English translation of foreign Birth Certificate and ILR?

Jalil
1) Yes; s 3(1)

2) No - leave blank

3) Your marriage certificate (I think - from memory);
Payment form.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

jalil

Post by jalil » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:19 pm

CR001 wrote:1. Yes. Child born abroad is registered under section 3(1) of the nationality act.

2. Section 3 is not relevant.

3. Have you read the MN1 guidance notes? or the FAQs - Children (click)?

Many thanks CR001, as always helpful and prompt reply.

jalil

Post by jalil » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:21 pm

noajthan wrote:
jalil wrote:Senior members,

Jalil
1) Yes; s 3(1)

2) No - leave blank

3) Your marriage certificate (I think - from memory);
Payment form.

Many thanks noajthan for your reply.