ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA requirements for non-EEA mother

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Daseca
Newly Registered

EEA requirements for non-EEA mother

Post by Daseca » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:18 pm

Hi

I have a fairly good inkling the answer to this will be negative, but I thought I'd just run this by the forum.

My sister and I are dual EEA / NZ citizens. I moved to the UK in 2013 and my sister 2014. Our mother only holds NZ citizenship. She is 61 and widowed. She is employed full time in NZ and healthy. Ironically her late husband was a British citizen but she never obtained FLR (M).

Immediately prior to moving to the UK my sister lived independently of my mother for approx a year. Before that she had lived with my mother her whole life. I moved out in 2011.

I don't think you could describe my mother as dependent on either of us, or we dependent on her (at least in recent years anyway). If in the UK my mother would likely seek work.

Is there any prospect of success at all under EEA regs?

secret.simon

Re: EEA requirements for non-EEA mother

Post by secret.simon » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:45 pm

Daseca wrote:Ironically her late husband was a British citizen but she never obtained FLR (M).
Are you also British citizens?

If you also have British citizenship, you are treated as solely British for the purposes of the EEA Regulations and must apply under the UK Immigration Rules.

Does your mother have any British born grandparents? If she has documentary proof (clear chain of birth and marriage certificates), she can come to the UK on an Ancestry visa.

For EEA Applications for your mother, you will have to prove a period of dependency (her dependency on you or your sister).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Daseca
Newly Registered

Post by Daseca » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:34 pm

No we're not British citizens (the husband in question was her second, not our father).

No, unfortunately it seems all her grandparents were born in NZ.

Right - I think we will struggle to prove a period of dependency of her on us, it has generally been the other way round!

As she is a visa-free national, I assume there would still be no prospect of success applying for a RC if she effectively moved to the UK and began living with us, relying on us for accommodation/support etc?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:36 pm

Daseca wrote:No we're not British citizens (the husband in question was her second, not our father).

No, unfortunately it seems all her grandparents were born in NZ.

Right - I think we will struggle to prove a period of dependency of her on us, it has generally been the other way round!

As she is a visa-free national, I assume there would still be no prospect of success applying for a RC if she effectively moved to the UK and began living with us, relying on us for accommodation/support etc?
This is your problem area:
I think we will struggle to prove a period of dependency of her on us, it has generally been the other way round
If mom was an EEA national then case law of Pedro would back her up and could be invoked if she was in UK and suddently, as a 'matter of fact' (not 'of history'), she became dependent on you.

However, if (as) mom is non-EEA then prior dependency appears to be required (a la case law of Reyes, Jia & etc).
It seems to me a RC application is likely to fail in your case.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.