ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First British adult passport - process

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Stoli

First British adult passport - process

Post by Stoli » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:42 pm

I somewhat wanted to apologise for starting this topic, but I feel it would actually be useful - especially if made "sticky". Having been snooping around the forum for a couple of years, I still found it tricky to obtain all relevant information when it came to steps of receiving one's first UK adult passport (following naturalisation).
Also this topic, with passport timelines only, should be made sticky, I would suggest:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 0timelines

Questions that I have are:
1) Is it true that not all people need to go to an interview? - how's one to know? :shock: (given that not all people even get invitation letters).
I figured that the answer is that ALL naturalised citizens-to-be must attend a passport interview. Correct?

2) Is there no way out of sending my current nationality passport(s) for the application? (needed for biz travel - own biz so no employer mercy). Even though I could obtain a second current nationality passport for travel, I cannot have my british visa "seconded" to it. Essentially cannot travel. Not the end of the world as we know it of course, but major sucking all around for sure..

3) My ceremony is next monday. When can/should I send my passport application (looking to do via check&send in post office)? - what does it entail? (ie what documents..and there needs to be yet another referee, correct?.)

4) Following above, when can/should I book passport interview? (and where would be the quickest/least cruel - or would i have zero choice again as with ceremony?)

5) Does the whole thing mean I would be without valid ID until the UK passport is received or is it possible to get back my national passports ahead of that time? (otherwise, how else am I supposed to buy wine? :lol: seriously though.. :? )

6) What do you forum guys usually do upon receipt of your very first British passport? - how do you party? :mrgreen:

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: First British adult passport - process

Post by ohara » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:00 pm

Stoli wrote:Questions that I have are:
1) Is it true that not all people need to go to an interview? - how's one to know? :shock: (given that not all people even get invitation letters).
I figured that the answer is that ALL naturalised citizens-to-be must attend a passport interview. Correct?

2) Is there no way out of sending my current nationality passport(s) for the application? (needed for biz travel - own biz so no employer mercy). Even though I could obtain a second current nationality passport for travel, I cannot have my british visa "seconded" to it. Essentially cannot travel. Not the end of the world as we know it of course, but major sucking all around for sure..

3) My ceremony is next monday. When can/should I send my passport application (looking to do via check&send in post office)? - what does it entail? (ie what documents..and there needs to be yet another referee, correct?.)

4) Following above, when can/should I book passport interview? (and where would be the quickest/least cruel - or would i have zero choice again as with ceremony?)

5) Does the whole thing mean I would be without valid ID until the UK passport is received or is it possible to get back my national passports ahead of that time? (otherwise, how else am I supposed to buy wine? :lol: seriously though.. :? )

6) What do you forum guys usually do upon receipt of your very first British passport? - how do you party? :mrgreen:
1) Everyone must now attend an interview when applying for a first adult British passport. However, some councils offer a pilot NCS scheme where you can apply for naturalisation and passport at the same time. If you use this service, you do not need to attend a passport interview.

2) Yes there is - use NCS - they will take certified copies of all your documents so you can keep the originals. This is probably the main advantage of using NCS.

3) As soon as you have the naturalisation certificate you can apply for passport.

4) No idea.

5) Unless you use one of the pilot NCS schemes to apply for joint citizenship and passport, you will have to send your existing passport(s) when you apply for your first British passport. No way out of that one. It takes around 6 weeks normally.

6) Go to the pub and get ratted :D

Stoli

Post by Stoli » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:15 pm

thank you :))

i'll also ask here:

i am going to be changing my name via deed poll after receipt of passport.
So this second passport - would it go via the fast procedure as a uk passport exchange, or through the long procedure as first adult passport? I am hoping as UK, but good to know so i can plan my year..

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:55 pm

Unsure of whether you can use the fast track service when applying for second passport due to name change.

Be advised though, UKPO will not issue a British passport in a different name to any uncancelled foreign passports you have.

veraszonyi
Newly Registered

Post by veraszonyi » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:58 pm

Hi there,

I posted my passport application on the 29th of March. Got the letter from HM Passport Office asking me to book the interview on the 5th of April, along with my nationality passport and Citizenship Certificate returned. So that is not even a week spent without my passport, pretty good, eh?
When I posted the application, I used Check& Send service, as well as I paid and extra £3-4 for Secure delivery of my documents back to me.
I booked the interview the next day and got an appointment for today. So I had the "interrogation" interview today. It was interesting. :lol:

I think they are pretty quick.
Good luck with your application!