ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK tier 2 (general) visa - applying from another country

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mccallfi1
Newly Registered

UK tier 2 (general) visa - applying from another country

Post by mccallfi1 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:40 pm

Hi,

My partner and I were previously living and working in the UK on a tier 2 general visa. This visa was cancelled when we left for a period of traveling. At a later date, we hope to reapply for our jobs and this visa again, and have a couple of questions around this. Would be great if anyone is able to help with the below, please.

Is it possible to apply for the visa from anywhere in the world? We are from Australia, but expect to be in Africa around the time we will be reapplying. Just wondering if this is possible or whether we would need to return to Australia.
If it is possible to apply from outside Australia, do you know how long we would need to send our passports away for processing? We just need to ensure that we would be in a country where we could be without our passports

Realise that these are very specific questions, when this scenario may not even come to fruition for us (we do not assume that we would be granted this visa again), but just trying to be as informed as possible so that we can plan the rest of our travels.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: UK tier 2 (general) visa - applying from another country

Post by Casa » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:44 pm

You can only apply from a country where you have legal residence...not as a visitor.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:15 pm

And cooling-off period may apply if you left UK (as a erstwhile Tier 2 migrant) in the 12 months preceding a new entry clearance application.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

mccallfi1
Newly Registered

Post by mccallfi1 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:55 pm

Thanks Casa and geriatrix for your responses. A bit of an inconvenience to have to return to Australia, but so bit it. We will be reapplying about 18 months after having left the UK so no problem on the cooling off period.

mccallfi1
Newly Registered

Post by mccallfi1 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:49 am

Hi,
A further question: Is it ok to return briefly to the UK as a visitor before reapplying for the Tier 2 general visa? The visit will be over 12 months after ending our previous tier 2 visa, but we plan to reapply probably 4-6 months after the visit. I assume (hope) a visit is not considered in the cooling off period?
Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:01 am

Should not be a problem.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.