ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student Visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

alpha_al
Newly Registered

Student Visa

Post by alpha_al » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:51 am

Dear Friends, I have a sister who is in Nepal and wants to apply for a student visa. She has a college accepted letter and all the document is ready. What i want to know is?

My uncle who is also in Nepal has got his own business for the past 10years and has got enough money to provide my sister for 3years course in London with accommodation.

When my sister applies for a student visa with the documents, college accepted letter and most importantly my uncle bank statement details, a letter from my uncle saying yes he will provide all the finance, does she have a chances of getting a visa.

If you have any opinion please i will love to hear it.

Thank you

aka189

Post by aka189 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:19 am

Your sister will have to have around £23,000 cash readily available for her stay in UK for three years if her college is in London.

Can your uncle show that much amount for her as a liquid balance like cash?

Without that there is no chance of getting the visa because as per British Council Guidance student needs £7800 a year for the total expense if he is in London and £5400 if outside London.

vinny

Student Visa

Post by vinny » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:51 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sashank

Post by sashank » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:42 pm

aka189 wrote:Your sister will have to have around £23,000 cash readily available for her stay in UK for three years if her college is in London.

Can your uncle show that much amount for her as a liquid balance like cash?

Without that there is no chance of getting the visa because as per British Council Guidance student needs £7800 a year for the total expense if he is in London and £5400 if outside London.
Why did you say there is no chance? Have you had similar experience on that. I have seen many people being granted student visa without having that amount as liquid balance.

SAS

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:29 pm

Showing funds for one year of fees+accomodation+expenses used to be (still is?) sufficient.

aka189

Post by aka189 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:41 pm

My cousin was refused his student visa because he showed less funds than what was required.

His course was for two years in FTC London and he showed £11000 as cash balance and he paid £3000 for tuition fees as well but still BHC Mumbai refused him and stated on refusal form that he will need £15600 for two years expense and £5300 as tuition fees so he will need in total 15600+5300=£20900.

He has appealed but still no answer about hearing date.

sashank

Post by sashank » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:08 pm

paulp wrote:Showing funds for one year of fees+accomodation+expenses used to be (still is?) sufficient.
I agree

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:38 pm

aka189 wrote:My cousin was refused his student visa because he showed less funds than what was required.

His course was for two years in FTC London and he showed £11000 as cash balance and he paid £3000 for tuition fees as well but still BHC Mumbai refused him and stated on refusal form that he will need £15600 for two years expense and £5300 as tuition fees so he will need in total 15600+5300=£20900.
I guess it depends on the case worker and the BHC. It may also depend on whether the funds have magically appeared in the last three months or whether the applicant/sponsor has a steady and consequential income stream.

Generally, people I've known who couldn't show funds for two or more years were given one year student visas.

William Blake
Member of Standing

Post by William Blake » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:55 pm

I doubt you would need to show money for the full years upfront.

My experience is that if he can show there is enough to cover the current tuition / board for enrolment for this year as well as substantiate his ongoing income she should be fine. If she is going to live with family here then this may be worth pointing out.
Every night and every morn
Some to misery are born.
Every morn and every night
Some are born to sweet delight.
Some are born to sweet delight,
Some are born to endless night

alpha_al
Newly Registered

Accommodation

Post by alpha_al » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:37 am

Dear friend thank you all for your reply, I was thinking that maybe i should ask the house owner where i am renting a room to write a letter saying my sister will be renting one box room which will cost 70pound per week including tax, food, gas, electricity, and water.

Friends can you tell me if it is a good idea or bad idea to show the letter when my sister applies for a visa in British embassy.

If this letter is shown British embassy people will know that she has got accommodation available.

Thank you

sashank

Re: Accommodation

Post by sashank » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:20 am

alpha_al wrote:Dear friend thank you all for your reply, I was thinking that maybe i should ask the house owner where i am renting a room to write a letter saying my sister will be renting one box room which will cost 70pound per week including tax, food, gas, electricity, and water.

Friends can you tell me if it is a good idea or bad idea to show the letter when my sister applies for a visa in British embassy.

If this letter is shown British embassy people will know that she has got accommodation available.

Thank you
I strongly ask you to provide accommodation letter to embassy if not provided by college i.e. hostel as this is compulsary.

SAS

William Blake
Member of Standing

Post by William Blake » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:47 pm

paulp wrote:
I guess it depends on the case worker and the BHC. It may also depend on whether the funds have magically appeared in the last three months or whether the applicant/sponsor has a steady and consequential income stream.

What issues arise from this ? I know of instances where the applicant (already in the UK) genuinely got the sum of money transferred into her account within that last three months; especially as the transfer coincided with the time for her to pay the fees.
Every night and every morn
Some to misery are born.
Every morn and every night
Some are born to sweet delight.
Some are born to sweet delight,
Some are born to endless night

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:32 pm

William Blake wrote:What issues arise from this ? I know of instances where the applicant (already in the UK) genuinely got the sum of money transferred into her account within that last three months; especially as the transfer coincided with the time for her to pay the fees.
Aka189's cousin showed enough funds for one year but was refused outright. There may have been a doubt on where funding for the second year would be coming from.

Nowty

Post by Nowty » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:46 pm

Its not just about the money you need to be concerned about. In my girlfriends (from Brazil) case she was initially refused a SV on several different grounds and money/accomodation was not the main issue.

She has to show a clear need for the course, i.e. what she stands to gain back in Nepal with the qualification. If she cannot demonstrate a net economic gain back in Nepal compared with the cost of the course the ECO will be supisious about the true intention of the application.

She needs to show that she has a history of academic achievment or else the ECO might say she she is not capable of following the course.

Finally and pehaps the most difficult thing is to show a true intention of leaving the UK at the end of the course. She needs to demonstrate strong ties to Nepal. If she comes from a poor background, has no house, job etc, the ECO may say on balance of probability they dont think she will return to Nepal.

In the end my girlfriend managed to get one granted with a letter from her employer promissing to keep her job open on her return, a copy of her mothers house deeds showing she had a house to live in, a copy of her school certificate, a copy of her daughters birth certificate showing she had a daughter to return to and finally an argument that the course was to help with our relationship and nothing to do with economic gains through furture employment in Brazil.

If she gets an initial refusal, I suggest re-applying addressing all the refusal points as we did.