ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Nationality Refusal due to Council tax.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Sana Haq
BANNED

Nationality Refusal due to Council tax.

Post by Sana Haq » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:31 pm

Hello All

My question is related to council tax. We applied for husbands citizenship in feb 2016

We stayed in a property from May 2014 to Nov 2015. However the council has only got the details of another couple staying in the same property and that couple has agreed to pay the council tax for the entire period. We have never informed council that we have ever lived in this property. The other couple has always managed council tax.

do we need to worry about this?

Does HO object why we didn’t pay council tax and why the other couple took the responsibility to do it?

Please advise

Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Nationality Refusal due to Council tax.

Post by Casa » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:48 pm

It depends on whether the other couple have paid the Council tax and if not, evidence that you had no liability to pay it or contribute. Whose name was on the Council tax bill?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Sana Haq
BANNED

Post by Sana Haq » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:53 pm

Thanks Casa for prompt reply

The bill is in the name of other couple

I have contacted them and they said they have set up a payment plan with the council and the first payment will be paid next month on the 25th

Is there any case where HO has rejected application because of council tax?

Please advise

Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:56 pm

Not if you weren't responsible for the paying the Council tax account. It won't show as a default as the account isn't in your name.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Sana Haq
BANNED

Post by Sana Haq » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:01 pm

Thanks Casa.

So basically HO is only concerned where the bill is in our name and we have not paid it yet? Otherwise we are ok, right?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:08 pm

Well you can't be asked to pay a bill which isn't in your name. :|
(Casa, not CR001)

Sana Haq
BANNED

Post by Sana Haq » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:14 pm

Yes agreed

Many thanks Casa