ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

General or Shortage Occupation visa category

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

navanee
Newly Registered
India

General or Shortage Occupation visa category

Post by navanee » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:05 am

Hello there,
I am making application for my wife and son who are in India. I am confused what their visa category will be whether General or Shortage Occupation. Here is the scenario:

My BRP says: Tier 2 (General)

Top line of my COS:
Tier and Category - Tier 2 (General - Extensions) - **(I renewed my visa hence extensions)
Bottom Section of my COS:
Job Type: 2129 Engineering Professionals not elsewhere classified
Is the job on the current shortage occupation list?: Y

My question is:
If mine is a shortage occupation visa, why doesnt the BRP say so?
Why does the first line of COS say my visa is Tier 2 (General) even though the last section says the job is under shortage occupation?

While I apply for the dependants, which category should I choose? SOC or General?

Thanks,
Navanee

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Re: General or Shortage Occupation visa category

Post by Frontier Mole » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:18 am

A dependent tier 2 visa is what you apply for.
It does not matter if you are in a shortage occupation visa or what your SOC is. It has no bearing on the dependent visas

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:32 pm

Just FYI - If you are unaware where your job fits in (shortage occupation or not), you can find the shortage occupation list here.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

navanee
Newly Registered
India

Post by navanee » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:58 pm

Thanks for your responses! I confirmed from my company that
a) Shortage occupation will not be printed on the BRP Card as it is still under Tier 2 General Category.
b) While selecting the visa type of Migrant's visa application from within UK, there is no option of 'shortage occupation category' available; only 'Tier 2 General' is available. Hence, the COS will have only 'Tier 2 General' in it. However, UKBA will be able to check if the job is a shortage occupation or not as mentioned in the last section of COS.

Hence, mine is a shortage occupation, even though it is not mentioned in the BRP.

navanee
Newly Registered
India

Post by navanee » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:01 pm

A dependent tier 2 visa is what you apply for.
It does not matter if you are in a shortage occupation visa or what your SOC is. It has no bearing on the dependent visas
Visa fee for the dependants is different. For the shortage occupation category, it is 437 pounds. otherwise it is 575 pounds (for a 3 years visa).