ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Checklist of things to do before moving to the UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hsmppune

Checklist of things to do before moving to the UK

Post by hsmppune » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:00 am

Hi Forum,

I am planning to fly to the UK sometime in Feb on an HSMP visa. Though I do not have EC yet, I am trying to get some things done before things become all hectic.

Can someone point me to some kind of checklist for the things which you should take care of when finally making a move to the UK?

Any other pointers in this regard would also be most helpful.
Thanks and Regards

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:39 am

There are some lists on this site; however, I can think about somethings.

- Bring important documents that are difficult to find here (marriage certificate?, birth certificate?, driving license?...) documents that you may need and obtaining a copy from the Uk would be difficult.
- Work references, letters stating your previous role and experience; these may help you to get a new job here.
- Medical history and medical checks as required by UK immigration (if apply to your country)
- First two weeks accomodation, close to the city you would select as initial beach head.....there are many "rooms" that are rented to students for one or two weeks, this will allow you to get a base while you search for more permanent accomodation.
- Arrange meetings with recruiters; you can do this in advance and would allow you to get a job faster. Try getting a UK phone number for incoming calls (Vonage and Skype would work), this can help you getting contact from local recruiters and you can provide your initial address as per your booking.
- Patience, luck and money!
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

ismangil

Post by ismangil » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:56 pm

Banking and financial stuff.

If you got a credit card and ATM from your country that should be sufficient.

Opening a bank account here may or may not be easy, varies greatly betweeen banks, cities, and where you're from.

HSBC recently introduced this: http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/curr ... s/passport
Perry Ismangil