ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization / Registration help for Wife and stepson

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

admn
Newly Registered

Naturalization / Registration help for Wife and stepson

Post by admn » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:12 pm

My wife and stepson both have ILR. I know my wife can apply for Naturalization after 3 years.

My wife has not got sole legal custody of my stepson, who also has ILR since 2012. My stepson has had no contact with his biological father since he was born and now he is 11. Can my stepson apply to be registered as British.?

Please advise how I can proceed.

milan69
Diamond Member

Re: Naturalization / Registration help for Wife and stepson

Post by milan69 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:00 pm

I don't have the right answer but I know that once one parent has ILR or applies for naturalisation than he/she can register the child as British citizen.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... ml#p592355
I am sometimes wrong.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Naturalization / Registration help for Wife and stepson

Post by fwd079 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:11 am

admn wrote:My wife and stepson both have ILR. I know my wife can apply for Naturalization after 3 years.

My wife has not got sole legal custody of my stepson, who also has ILR since 2012. My stepson has had no contact with his biological father since he was born and now he is 11. Can my stepson apply to be registered as British.?

Please advise how I can proceed.
Two choices in my view:

1. I'd check with local council's Nationality Checking Service (if they provide any) and also check this link and contact local council and formerly adopt child before proceeding to Naturalisation.

2. Or else if its difficult to fulfil papers I'd wait till mother if child is British in three years, then child (by then 14-15) will still be under 18 so can apply.

But personally I'd go for option 1.
Seniors can tell you better. I am subscribing here as interested to see other views.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

admn
Newly Registered

Register child for British citizenship

Post by admn » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:03 pm

I am about to register by my son born in India, I have British citizenship. I gather the child will have to apply to be naturalized when he is 18.

My question, is registering the child a temporary process and has to be repeated again at age 18 ?

Does this also mean that you have to pay twice ( registration fee and Naturalization fee)

secret.simon

Re: Register child for British citizenship

Post by secret.simon » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:23 pm

Does the child have ILR? And does the other parent have ILR? If not, what is the status of the other parent?

Children born abroad are expected to have ILR before registration. Also, the other parent is expected to have ILR and be applying for British citizenship at the same time.

Registration will make the child a British citizen and the child will not require naturalisation. The child will lose his indian citizenship and right to an a Indian passport and will have to apply for a British passport & OCI/X-Visa to visit India.

As an aside, I think your username may need to be changed as it is quite close to "admin" and that may confuse other users on these forums.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

noajthan

Re: Register child for British citizenship

Post by noajthan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:00 pm

admn wrote:I am about to register by my son born in India, I have British citizenship. I gather the child will have to apply to be naturalized when he is 18.

My question, is registering the child a temporary process and has to be repeated again at age 18 ?

Does this also mean that you have to pay twice ( registration fee and Naturalization fee)
No, you have gathered wrongly and are labouring under a misunderstanding.

Registration of a minor is not 'temporary' and does not have to be replenished by naturalising at age 18.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.