ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can a person who overstays B1 visa adjust his/her status

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hlhz
Newly Registered

Post by hlhz » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:44 am

Hi I'm a permanent resident of US, I filed for citizenship last year and was told that my case is pending name check and it can take a couple of years (or longer !!) before the name check is cleared. My wife just entered US on B1 visa. I'm wondering if she overstays her B1 visa while waiting for my citizenship, when I get my citizenship, can she still adjust her status in the US and get her green card, or is she subjected to the bar of 3 years (or ten years if she should overstay for > 1 year)?

I would really appreciate if someone can give me an answer

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:59 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Daniel Green
Newly Registered

Re: Can a person who overstays B1 visa adjust his/her status

Post by Daniel Green » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:47 pm

hlhz wrote:Hi I'm a permanent resident of US, I filed for citizenship last year and was told that my case is pending name check and it can take a couple of years (or longer !!) before the name check is cleared. My wife just entered US on B1 visa. I'm wondering if she overstays her B1 visa while waiting for my citizenship, when I get my citizenship, can she still adjust her status in the US and get her green card, or is she subjected to the bar of 3 years (or ten years if she should overstay for > 1 year)?

I would really appreciate if someone can give me an answer
An person who has overstayed his/her visa may adjust status through a marriage based I-130/485 with a U.S. citizen. The 3/10 bars only kick in upon a person's departure from the U.S.

-Dan

hlhz
Newly Registered

Post by hlhz » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:28 pm

Thanks!