ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entering UK with near-expiry passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

exman
India

Entering UK with near-expiry passport

Post by exman » Sun May 01, 2016 6:48 pm

Hi I am an Indian national and I am moving to UK soon on tier 2 general visa. From the day my first entry is planned, my passport expired in 80 days.

Does anyone know if this will be a problem at the passport control? Has anyone faced such a situation or heard of?

Otherwise, I have booked an appointment with the Indian passport renewal services the very next day after the planned entry date.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Entering UK with near-expiry passport

Post by geriatrix » Sun May 01, 2016 7:21 pm

You will have a valid passport and a valid visa on the day of travel. Why would anyone stop you?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

exman
India

Post by exman » Sun May 01, 2016 8:30 pm

Yes, that's my understanding too but sometimes countries have rules in place, for example, your passport should be valid for the entire period you will be visiting the country for (mostly applicable in tourist visas) or there may be a rule when getting visa or entering your passport should have at least 6 months validity left. Hence checking....

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun May 01, 2016 8:35 pm

That's a condition you would have observed when applying for a visa, not actual travel (on a valid passport with a valid visa).
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

exman
India

Post by exman » Sun May 01, 2016 9:40 pm

Yes, I agree. But "valid passport, valid visa" makes sense. May be I will also call the UKVI paid service tomorrow to confirm.
Thanks!

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon May 02, 2016 5:46 am

exman wrote:May be I will also call the UKVI paid service tomorrow to confirm.
Today is Bank Holiday Monday in the UK. So, you may not get through to anybody. Also, Home Office contact centres are notorious for giving inaccurate advice. It is not worth calling them.

As regards your query, when I had initially emigrated to the UK, I was in a similar situation. My passport was due to expire in 2 months. I was allowed entry into the UK without any questions. On my first full day in the UK, I went to the embassy for my country, applied for a new passport and got it in 3 weeks.

You will be fine.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

exman
India

Post by exman » Mon May 02, 2016 8:40 am

Many thanks! Lucky to find the exact same case with you. Now I know. :)

exman
India

Counting number of days outside UK

Post by exman » Thu May 05, 2016 8:37 am

Hi. I have a question regarding days counted towards ILR while on the tier 2 general visa

1) If I travel outside the UK for example on morning of 1st June and come back on evening of 2nd June (business travel), how many days does it mean that I was out of UK?

2) I will be doing this kind of travel almost every week (business requirement). Although I will ensure that number of such days is always less than 180 during a year, does this mean that I will have to show explanation (e.g. letter from the employer) for every such exit when applying for ILR?

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Counting number of days outside UK

Post by Casa » Thu May 05, 2016 8:47 am

exman wrote:Hi. I have a question regarding days counted towards ILR while on the tier 2 general visa

1) If I travel outside the UK for example on morning of 1st June and come back on evening of 2nd June (business travel), how many days does it mean that I was out of UK?

2) I will be doing this kind of travel almost every week (business requirement). Although I will ensure that number of such days is always less than 180 during a year, does this mean that I will have to show explanation (e.g. letter from the employer) for every such exit when applying for ILR?
None, as the day on the day of departure and the day of arrival you are considered to be resident in the UK.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

exman
India

Post by exman » Thu May 05, 2016 12:42 pm

That is great. Thanks!
So basically if I travel for 4 days, going out on Monday morning and coming back on Thursday evening implies only 2 days out of UK. Cool!

But when I am actually out, like in the above example, then I need to collate letters from the employer for every such visit, right? Letters to be submitted when applying for ILR.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu May 05, 2016 12:44 pm

exman wrote:That is great. Thanks!
So basically if I travel for 4 days, going out on Monday morning and coming back on Thursday evening implies only 2 days out of UK. Cool!
Exactly! :)
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

exman
India

Post by exman » Thu May 05, 2016 12:51 pm

But when I am actually out, like in the above example, then I need to collate letters from the employer for every such visit, right? Correct?
(Letters to be submitted when applying for ILR)

exman
India

Passport renewal after visa stamping

Post by exman » Thu May 05, 2016 7:16 pm

Hi. I got tier 2 general visa stamped on my passport (entry visa vignette) and I haven't yet traveled to the UK to collect BRP. I am going to India for some days now. Can I get my passport renewed there? Will I need to get vignette stamped on my new passport? or will the new passport together with the old one work?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Passport renewal after visa stamping

Post by CR001 » Thu May 05, 2016 7:28 pm

Will you be entering the UK within the 30 days validity of the vignette?

When does your current passport expire?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

exman
India

Re: Passport renewal after visa stamping

Post by exman » Thu May 05, 2016 9:17 pm

- will be entering within the 30 days vignette period
- vignette period is between 10/6-10/7
- I will enter on 25/6
- Passport expires in end of September
- I would like to get it renewed next week

exman
India

Post by exman » Sun May 08, 2016 3:27 am

Any help mates?
I need to decide whether I am applying for passport renewal in next 2 days.
Thanks in advance!

exman
India

Sudden changes in plan due to medical condition

Post by exman » Sun May 08, 2016 11:30 am

Hi. My wife who is in India now, has met an accident and can't really travel by end of June when we are supposed to move to UK. Therefore, I have two questions -
1. Her plaster (on fracture) will be removed in the mid of June. She will then need some physiotherapy. Will this physiotherapy support be covered by NHS in UK? Most of the treatment is being done in India now.
2. If we decide that she delays her travel, she will need to get the 30 day entry visa restamped. Is this recommend? Is it easy? Is it expensive?

Appreciate your inputs. Thanks.

secret.simon

Re: Sudden changes in plan due to medical condition

Post by secret.simon » Sun May 08, 2016 11:46 am

What visa is your wife traveling on? And has IHS been paid on that application?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun May 08, 2016 12:16 pm

The cost of a replacement 30 day vignette will be £189. Here's a link to the application:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... l-vignette
(Casa, not CR001)

exman
India

Post by exman » Sun May 08, 2016 12:45 pm

Thanks for the inputs so far!
She is traveling on tier 2 general partner visa. IHS fees paid along with app.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun May 08, 2016 12:48 pm

exman wrote:...

1. Her plaster (on fracture) will be removed in the mid of June. She will then need some physiotherapy. Will this physiotherapy support be covered by NHS in UK?
Be aware of waiting lists. Don't expect full walk-up service at the drop of a hat.
I have a relative still waiting for vital physio sessions on NHS and she is partially immobilised with a severe muscle-wasting condition.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

exman
India

Post by exman » Sun May 08, 2016 8:57 pm

Good point on the waiting list. I don't want a single day of delay in her case as she is to start her masters in fall. I will then plan for restamping of her visa.

Let me check with my lawyer.

Thanks for the inputs so far!!