ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Partner Visa Application for Chinese student in UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kr1s
Newly Registered

Partner Visa Application for Chinese student in UK

Post by kr1s » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:30 pm

Hi.
I'm hoping someone here will be able to help.
I have done a search and couldn't easily find the answer already on here.

I am a UK national. My girlfriend is Chinese and has been living with me in UK since February 2014 under a Tier 4 study visa. (She is studying full time for an ACCA qualification).
That visa will expire in October this year and we would like to apply for a partner visa for her.

My question is: Can this be done from within the UK and if so, which would be the correct form? (All of the info I have found assumes that if applying for leave to remain as a partner, you are already here as a partner, not a student).
Also, is there any reason we can't apply now - a partner visa would be beneficial to her as soon as possible as it would allow her to work, which her study visa does not.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Partner Visa Application for Chinese student in UK

Post by Casa » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:35 pm

Yes you can apply now, assuming you have documented evidence of a relationship 'akin to marriage' (living together, shared finances etc) for a minimum of 2 years. You will also have to show that you meet the minimum income level of £18,600 p.a, but this can be joint earnings. A1 level English test unless exempt.
This application can be submitted from within the UK on form FLR(M). Your partner will also have to pay the NHS surcharge of £500 in addition to the £811 visa fee (postal) or £1311 (in person).
https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family/apply
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:36 pm

Yes, she can apply within the UK provided you meet all the requirements. And she would be apply for 'leave to remain' as she is in the UK. Form FLR(M), unmarried partner visa.

If you have been living together for 2 years, you/she will have to submit 2 years worth of cohabitation documentation. If you do not meet the 2 year cohabitation requirement for an unmarried partner visa, it will be refused.

Do you earn £18,600pa?

She will need English A1 from an approved test provider.

Edit : #Casa again, speedy gonzales :wink:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:58 pm

kr1s wrote:Hi.
I'm hoping someone here will be able to help.
I have done a search and couldn't easily find the answer already on here.

I am a UK national. My girlfriend is Chinese and has been living with me in UK since February 2014 under a Tier 4 study visa. (She is studying full time for an ACCA qualification).
That visa will expire in October this year and we would like to apply for a partner visa for her.

My question is: Can this be done from within the UK and if so, which would be the correct form? (All of the info I have found assumes that if applying for leave to remain as a partner, you are already here as a partner, not a student).
Also, is there any reason we can't apply now - a partner visa would be beneficial to her as soon as possible as it would allow her to work, which her study visa does not.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris
A partner is not a girlfriend, a partner is someone in a relationship 'akin to marriage' (for 2 years or more).

There are no girlfriend/boyfriend type visas in the world of UK immigration - just marriage, spouse or fiancee.
Alternately the appropriate visa for a student would be a Tier 4 student visa.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

kr1s
Newly Registered

Post by kr1s » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:58 pm

Thank you both for the quick response.

My salary easily meets the requirement.
She recently scored IELTS 6.5
The only evidence we have of shared finances is a joint bank account since Oct 2014.
We have correspondence to each of us at the same address(es - we moved in June 2014) since Feb 2014 as well as a letter from the council tax office stating that they have been aware of her living with me at those addresses for the full period.
The correspondence we have is not as evenly spread as would have been ideal, with nothing addressed to her in 2015. Do you happen to know whether this is likely to cause a problem?
Incidentally I also have copies of letters I wrote to the Border Agency to accompany her original application explaining that we were in a relationship and she would be living with me for the duration of her studies.

Thanks again

Chris

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:14 pm

The correspondence we have is not as evenly spread as would have been ideal, with nothing addressed to her in 2015. Do you happen to know whether this is likely to cause a problem?
Yes, this will be a problem. HO want to see documentary evidence of cohabitation in a 'relationship akin to marriage' for a minimum of 2 years. This is the most important aspect you/she have to meet in order to apply for an unmarried partner visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kr1s
Newly Registered

Post by kr1s » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:47 pm

Hmmm, that's bad news. I understand the importance of the requirement and we genuinely meet it but I'm now worried because I'm struggling to think how we might prove it for that period.
Any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated.
Bodies that I can think of that are aware of her having been there are her college, doctor, dentist, local council and bank.
Again, many thanks
Chris

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:56 pm

You need dated evidence spread across the period, of letters etc that are addressed to her or both of you jointly. If you don't have anything, getting letters now will not solve your problem.

Do you have any plans to marry??
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kr1s
Newly Registered

Post by kr1s » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:59 pm

Do you have any plans to marry??
Not in the immediate future.

Are online order delivery notes likely to help?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:03 pm

No because I can order online and have it delivered to any address in the UK. It doesn't prove anything.

Does she not have a single letter etc addressed to her for 2015? Was she staying with you or somewhere else?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kr1s
Newly Registered

Post by kr1s » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:10 pm

She was living with me and did receive post, but didn't keep any of it. By that time the important stuff like banking/driving license etc. were all arranged and stable and most correspondence was on-line.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:21 pm

Are you not able to print online things off (what are they) or request statements etc?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kr1s
Newly Registered

Post by kr1s » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:27 pm

I will see whether there's anything like that with our address on.
Thanks

Chris

kr1s
Newly Registered

Post by kr1s » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:44 am

OK, she's got three emails with exam results from ACCA which have our address on.
We can print bank statements which show current address as well as dated transactions, but states the current date printed so I'm not sure whether this helps.

kr1s
Newly Registered

Post by kr1s » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:49 pm

Hi all

We've now managed to scrape together enough letters to (hopefully) meet the requirement.
All the other documents will be pretty straightforward, so now my question is:
Is our case likely to be straightforward enough to use the premium service or is it better we use the postal service?

Thanks again

Chris

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:18 pm

What all have you got now in documents for the 2 year period?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kr1s
Newly Registered

Post by kr1s » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:47 pm

She has bank letters, driving license, letters from college and copies of emails from ACCA which have our address on.
I have bank letters, letters from district council, electric bills, car insurance renewals.
To be absolutely specific about dates will have to wait until I get home and can look through them again, but they are reasonably spread out.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:00 pm

Reasonably spread out is good, roughly a couple of things for every 3/4 months.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kr1s
Newly Registered

Post by kr1s » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:31 pm

Below is a list of the documents she has with dates.
Do you see any issues?
Thanks again
Chris
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (24.58 KiB) Viewed 476 times

kr1s
Newly Registered

Post by kr1s » Mon May 02, 2016 11:52 am

Anyone got any idea whether the email prints are likely to be a problem?
The form states in one place that all documents must be original otherwise the application is likely to be rejected, and somewhere else that if copies are used a cover letter should be included to explain why.
We can do this but would like some idea how likely we are to be wasting our application fee.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon May 02, 2016 12:07 pm

kr1s wrote:Anyone got any idea whether the email prints are likely to be a problem?
The form states in one place that all documents must be original otherwise the application is likely to be rejected, and somewhere else that if copies are used a cover letter should be included to explain why.
We can do this but would like some idea how likely we are to be wasting our application fee.
They need to be originals.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

kr1s
Newly Registered

Post by kr1s » Mon May 02, 2016 12:50 pm

So emails are actually no use then?
Thanks
Chris