ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marrying overseas (India)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lemmy_k
Newly Registered

Marrying overseas (India)

Post by lemmy_k » Mon May 02, 2016 3:03 pm

Hi,

I'm a British National and I wish to marry my girlfriend who is an Indian Citizen. The marriage will take place in India. The plan is for my girlfriend to move to the UK after marriage.

I wanted to find out what paperwork both me and my fiance would require? I checked on the UK government website but I couldn't find much info apart from a document I need to print to present to the marriage registrar in India.

I plan to go to India in July this year, and then once more in December 2016. I was hoping we could get a registered court marriage done in India in July to get a marriage certificate using which my wife could apply for her spouse visa, and hopefully by December she will have that and she can come back with me in December. Does this course of action seem reasonable?

I'm 35, male, and earn comfortably more than £30,000/year (apologies I do not wish to disclose my exact salary).

Is there some place I can find out which documents I need, and roughly how long does it take to get a spouse visa?

Thanks in advance

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Marrying overseas (India)

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 02, 2016 3:12 pm

Life isn't fair, but you can be!

lemmy_k
Newly Registered

Post by lemmy_k » Mon May 02, 2016 3:28 pm

Thank you so much for the links, just what I needed

Quick question: The documents state the financial requirements for the partner in that the minimum income needs to be be about £19,000 (we have no children). I just want to clarify - is this for the partner immigrating or as a collective? What I mean is, my partner doesn't earn that much income in India but I am comfortably over this limit, but I'm not sure if the law states that the partner must earn that much money or the UK resident must earn this amount?

Any help with be much appreciated.

lemmy_k
Newly Registered

Post by lemmy_k » Mon May 02, 2016 3:32 pm

Ah, my bad the answer was in the document.

For posterity - no it doesn't need to be the applicants income alone, it will be the income of the person residing in the UK combined with the applicants income.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon May 02, 2016 3:34 pm

Your understanding is incorrect! Only the UK sponsor's income will qualify for the £18,600 p.a required. Anything less than this and the application will be refused.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 02, 2016 3:37 pm

lemmy_k wrote:it will be the income of the person residing in the UK combined with the applicants income.
I stand to be corrected but this is possible only when the applicant too is in the UK (e.g. - switching to partner route or extending leave as a partner) and not possible when applicant is applying for entry clearance (from abroad).
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon May 02, 2016 3:40 pm

geriatrix wrote:
lemmy_k wrote:it will be the income of the person residing in the UK combined with the applicants income.
I stand to be corrected but this is possible only when the applicant too is in the UK (e.g. - switching to partner route or extending leave as a partner) and not possible when applicant is applying for entry clearance (from abroad).
Correct.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

lemmy_k
Newly Registered

Post by lemmy_k » Mon May 09, 2016 11:35 am

Thanks for clarifying. My partner is applying from overseas so I guess only my income will count, but that won't be a problem since I'm comfortably over the minimum required salary.

lemmy_k
Newly Registered

Post by lemmy_k » Sun May 15, 2016 5:35 pm

Hi All,

I had another question about the spouse visa - someone told me there is an entry requirement in that the spouse must enter the UK within 90 days of getting the visa.

Is this correct? Are there any links to see the guidance on the number of days the spouse is allowed to be outside the UK on a partner visa?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun May 15, 2016 5:42 pm

The requirement has changed. Your wife will now have to enter the UK within 30 days of the visa issue date in order to collect her biometrics from a designated Post office, within 10 days of arrival. Failure to do this and the 30 day vignette will expire, requiring a fee to be paid for a replacement.
(Casa, not CR001)

lemmy_k
Newly Registered

Post by lemmy_k » Mon May 16, 2016 10:30 am

Thank you Casa