ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Set M application - old rules

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

expotokyo
Newly Registered

Set M application - old rules

Post by expotokyo » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:28 am

My partner successfully appealed against a rejection of her application for FLR as an unmarried partner.
The judge ruled in our favour in terms of the Immigration Rules. And... for arguments sake Article 8 (although she made it clear that we did not need Article 8 ).
The Home Office did not contest the decision.
The FLR application was before July 2012 and the appeal was won in July 2013.

Therefore, we meet the requirements to be considered under Transitional Provisions - i.e. 2 year route to ILR.

However, a Subject Access Request shows that my partner's immigration record shows that we won on Article 8 and doesn't appear to mention the Rules - although the Judge's written statement clearly does.
We have had no response from the Home Office following requests to correct the record.

Is it possible that there may be a problem during our application via the Transitional Provisions?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: ERROR on Immigration record which may affect SET M

Post by Amber » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:30 am

How long was your partner's leave granted for? 2 years or 2.5 years?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

expotokyo
Newly Registered

Post by expotokyo » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:45 pm

2.5 years.
Clearly they made a mistake as it should have been 2 years.
But they did not contest the judge's decision in any way, so according to the law, my partner should be eligble to apply for ILR under the old rules

expotokyo
Newly Registered

Post by expotokyo » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:29 pm

So to summarise, the SAR shows that the visa was granted on Article 8 Family Life grounds.
However the Judges determination (unchallenged) shows it was granted within the Rules.
Should we just take the Judge's determination? Or should we postpone the appointment and write to our MP?
The determination is so clearly written, that we suspect that the 'mistake' was deliberate somehow...

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:10 am

It may be more complicated.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

expotokyo
Newly Registered

Post by expotokyo » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:53 am

Certainly if had to rely on Article 8 Family Life, it would be complicated. Which is why I am concerned about the Home Office mistake.
But we shouldn't have to as the appeal was under the Rules. the Home Office Caseworker made a clerical error.
Can they retrospectively ignore the Judge's determination?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:04 am

expotokyo wrote:But we shouldn't have to as the appeal was under the Rules.
Yes. But under which rules?
Out with the old, in with the new: Edgehill, Haleemudeen and now Singh wrote:Where an application for leave to remain is made before 9 July 2012 but decided after that date, which Immigration Rules should apply to it?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

expotokyo
Newly Registered

Post by expotokyo » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:33 am

My understanding is that the case law refers to Article 8 applications related to Private or Family Life only.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:07 pm

If you wish to refute the leave which was granted, use Immigration Directorate Instruction Family Migration: Chapter 8 Transitional Provisions as your reference.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

expotokyo
Newly Registered

Post by expotokyo » Mon May 02, 2016 1:09 pm

Yes, thanks, this is the guide I am referring to.
Just looking online, I can see many cases of UKBA 'errors'. In my case it is clear cut - we won the appeal according to the Rules, yet they have marked that it was won on Article 8.
So according to the result of the Tribunal, we are eligible to apply for 2 year ILR according to the Old Rules.

Is it legally possible for the Home Office to decide an application based on their own incorrect record - rather than the decision of an immigration judge (which they never contested) ?

expotokyo
Newly Registered

Apply for ILR under old rules with 2.5 years FLR on BRP

Post by expotokyo » Mon May 02, 2016 1:43 pm

Does anyone have experience of applying under Old Rules for ILR - having incorrectly been give 2.5 years FLR (rather than2)?

My partner won her appeal according to the Rules. Her original application was before 9 Jul 2012, so she meets the criteria to be considered under the Old Rules for ILR.

However, a Subject Access Request shows they incorrectly recorded the appeal was won under Article 8!!
Her visa was indeed issued for 2.5 years, but these are both Home Office errors.
We only did the SAR recently and have not received a response about our complaint.

I have telephoned and received a general response that it would be fine, but I am concerned.

We have a PEO appointment at Croydon this Friday!
Is it better to try to correct her record beforehand? Or to just apply with the correct documents/Copies of Rules and Judge's determination?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 02, 2016 3:45 pm

Do you have the (appeal) judgement in writing? Apply for settlement with a covering letter explaining the error(s) made by UKVI when granting leave initially and include a copy of the appeal judgement.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

expotokyo
Newly Registered

Post by expotokyo » Mon May 02, 2016 7:41 pm

Yes we have it in writing.
It is crystal clear that we won according to the rules. During the appeal, I had Article 8 as a parallel argument. The judge wrote twice that we did not need Article 8, as we met the Rules. However, she mentioned 'for the sake of completeness' we would have met Article 8 Family life too.
We won on the spot and were awarded costs.
It is curious how such a ''mistake' could be made by the Case Worker.

I made a general telephone enquiry last week to the HO and they said even with 2.5 years, on the visa it would be fine.
I wonder whether it is worth calling again and recording the call?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed May 04, 2016 7:46 pm

It's absolutely pointless going by what those on the 'helpline' say, they're not case workers. Write to the UK settlements ops department for an official response.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed May 04, 2016 7:52 pm

Amber wrote:It's absolutely pointless going by what those on the 'helpline' say, they're not case workers. Write to the UK settlements ops department for an official response.
+1 Amber. I've posted this link previously on the forum, but it explains the situation clearly regarding unreliable advice given by the HO 'help line'. :|
https://www.freemovement.org.uk/immigra ... pectation/
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

expotokyo
Newly Registered

Post by expotokyo » Thu May 05, 2016 12:07 am

Yes, the people on the helpline have minimal knowledge.
I've spoken to a lawyer and been told that the HO must correct their record if it is in contradiction to the result of a Tribunal.(even if a long time passed since the decision)

If they make a new decision based on their incorrect information, it could easily be challenged.

I guess it will come down to the individual Caseworker we deal with.

What I don't understand are the Rights of Appeal changes.
It seems anyone applying under the Rules cannot go to tribunal any more. Only Human Rights applications?
But yet, those with no right of Appeal can seek Judiciary Review..?

expotokyo
Newly Registered

How to supply Photocopies at PEO

Post by expotokyo » Thu May 05, 2016 4:24 pm

How to supply Photocopies at PEO? Should they be supplied separately as a 'photocopy bundle'?
Or together with each original?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 05, 2016 4:31 pm

You will be asked for documents and the copies. When I attended in person, I had each copy with the relevant original.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

expotokyo
Newly Registered

Post by expotokyo » Thu May 05, 2016 4:41 pm

OK. so there shouldnt be a separate pack of photopies?
Just 1 pack with original/ copy, original/copy in sequence?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 05, 2016 4:45 pm

There is no set rule on it. Just make sure you know where everything is for whatever documents they ask for.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

expotokyo
Newly Registered

Post by expotokyo » Thu May 05, 2016 8:54 pm

OK. So the process basically involves going in submitting documents and then waiting?
There are no actually conversation with the Case Worker unless they wish to ask something specific?

expotokyo
Newly Registered

ILR - What financial evidence required for partner

Post by expotokyo » Fri May 06, 2016 10:09 pm

We are applying for ILR on the partner route (old rules)
The applicant earns above £20k and above £30k savings are jointly held. They will provide bank statements and pay slips and p60.
Technically would this be enough to meet the Old Rules?

For the British partner, is it sufficient to provide 6 months payslips, P60 and latest month bank statement? OR does the partner need to also provide 6 months bank statement?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Set M application - old rules

Post by CR001 » Fri May 06, 2016 10:19 pm

There is no financial requirement under the old rules. You need to prove 'adequate maintenance'.

6 months payslips and banks statements for both or just you is sufficient.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

expotokyo
Newly Registered

Post by expotokyo » Fri May 06, 2016 10:21 pm

if the applicant already exceeds the financial requirements, is it necessary for the partner to produce 6 months bank statements? Or would 6 months payslips and most recent bank statement suffice?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat May 07, 2016 8:35 am

CR001 wrote:There is no financial requirement under the old rules. You need to prove 'adequate maintenance'.

6 months payslips and banks statements for both or just you is sufficient.
Char (CR001 not Casa)