ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

sudden Home Office extending delays by 3-6 months

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

uws_nw1
Newly Registered

sudden Home Office extending delays by 3-6 months

Post by uws_nw1 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:33 pm

Hi all,

I'm wondering about anyone else's experience with the latest from the Home Office:

Your application for naturalization is nearing the Home Office's six-month deadline for processing.

But a few days before, instead of sending you your naturalization, the Home Office sends you a letter saying that it will be an additional "three to six months" because of new regulations.

Legally, these new regulations shouldn't apply to you since they came into effect long after your application date.

(Meanwhile, if you're like me, this prevents you from leaving the UK for a year or more - even though you're the sole carer for an elderly parent back in the States.)

Is there anyway to find out from the Home Office when (or even if) it will complete its work on your application? Is there a number to call? Does it entail asking your MP?

4uvak000

Re: sudden Home Office extending delays by 3-6 months

Post by 4uvak000 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:05 pm

You can inquire through the general inquire line, but they will not tell you how long it will take to make a decision on your application. In fact they will not tell you anything there except the same info you have in your letter. And actually in the letter they are asking not to make inquires.... All you can do is wait... There is no problem with travel though once you submit the certified copies of documents - you do not need to submit originals. If you already submitted originals I am not sure if you can request them without withdrawing the application. Probably you can. And probably this question they will be able to answer through the general inquire line... :D Regarding involving your MP - he/she is useful if Home Office does not reply for your requests, but recently Home Office significantly improved their customer service and reply quite fast, so I am not sure what MP can do though. But you always can try...

Samaralady

Post by Samaralady » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:13 pm

uws_nw1, when did you apply, if you don't mind me asking?

I called the general helpline numerous times, and they just tell you whether a decision has been made or not, or whether your application is in its final stages (in my case, that was 3 weeks before I received the decision). The number is 0300 123 2253 (although you may want to try 0151 672 5626).

I was fortunately not affected by the new rules, but in all honesty, I find it rather shocking that they are now extending the deadline by another 3 to 6 months, meaning people potentially have to wait for a year (although if they make this clear from the very beginning, at least you have certainty and know what to prepare for).

BTW, the very day my initial 6 months were up I emailed my MP. Don't know if it made a difference, but I got my decision within then next month.

Good luck and a swift decision!

Kate
„Zwei Dinge sind unendlich, das Universum und die menschliche Dummheit, aber bei dem Universum bin ich mir noch nicht ganz sicher.“
Albert Einstein

uws_nw1
Newly Registered

Post by uws_nw1 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:15 pm

Thanks for this! I phoned the number you gave me and got through quite quickly.

They told me that I'd need to call back in a week (after the six-month anniversary) if I don't hear back.

If their new and improved help line is any indication, hopefully they won't miss their six-month timeline.

It was encouraging to hear that, in the end, you got your response right around that time.

raja824
Newly Registered

Is anyone waiting over 8 months for BC application decision

Post by raja824 » Mon May 02, 2016 7:03 pm

Hello everyone
I am wondering is anyone waiting for decision over 6 months, I applied August 2015 still waiting for decision its almost 9months waiting

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 02, 2016 7:34 pm

Yes, since Feb 2014.
So be patient!
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

mkazimhyobo

Post by mkazimhyobo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:02 pm

Hi geriatrix,
Do you know what is the maximum wait time home office can enforce for a BC applicant. Mine is pending for last 17 months.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:05 pm

mkazimhyobo wrote:Hi geriatrix,
Do you know what is the maximum wait time home office can enforce for a BC applicant. Mine is pending for last 17 months.
Home Office can take as long as they need to, there is no 'deadline' by which they must decide.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mg543
Newly Registered

Post by mg543 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:12 am

Yes, I have been waiting for my naturalisation for over 8 months as well. Havent even received any letter from the HO. Just got contacted by the UKVI customer services 2 months ago saying the decision is still pending. That was after I called them for a status update. :o :(

khan_81
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by khan_81 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:21 am

New rules? Am not aware of any new rules :-(

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:26 am

khan_81 wrote:New rules? Am not aware of any new rules :-(
Likely to be 'assessment of good character' (for all) and proof of PR for EEA nationals.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

raja824
Newly Registered

Post by raja824 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:03 pm

geriatrix wrote:Yes, since Feb 2014.
So be patient!
acceptance letter came after one year all done good luck everyone