ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renouncing British Citizenship to use EEA FP route

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

darren1972uk
Ireland

Re: Renouncing British Citizenship to use EEA FP route

Post by darren1972uk » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:20 am

Thank you

magicmus

Post by magicmus » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:30 pm

hey everyone. Can I ask what documents everyone provided when applying for fp?

sp84

Post by sp84 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:44 am

Hey everyone!

I am not sure if you are all still getting alerts for this thread/or checking it - but I just wanted to let everyone know that my wife's EEA Family Permit came yesterday in the post!

It took a grand total of 2 weeks here in the USA. The documents had to be sent to New York and then posted back to us when the process was completed. We never actually had to go to the visa centre in person. They phoned me to do a short interview - which really only involved answering some of the questions that were on the application form e.g. when did you meet your wife etc and then the permit was issued the next day!

Little bitter sweet getting the family permit- happy that it has been issued, but also second guessing myself (is this the right thing to do etc etc) - but this may be the only time that a move back home will be somewhat "straight forward"

Bannoi
Newly Registered

Post by Bannoi » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:06 am

Congratulations sp84 at least that is one thing less to worry about it was a big relief to me when ours came through, now you can start making plans.

Don't worry about the future it has a way of taking care of itself.

sp84

Post by sp84 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:50 am

Thanks bannoi !

Suppose my fears are 2 fold - (1) sad to be leaving the wifes family here in the USA (2) a fear on my part that she won't like/will struggle to settle back in NI

Bottom line though, it is now or never!

darren1972uk
Ireland

Post by darren1972uk » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:12 am

Can I ask once my wife gets her family visa can she get a one way ticket

Bannoi
Newly Registered

Post by Bannoi » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:30 am

darren1972uk wrote:Can I ask once my wife gets her family visa can she get a one way ticket
The short answer is yes :)

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:32 am

Hi all,

Yay Sp, so great that you got it in such a short time :) I'm sure things will go smoothly now for you guys,
Its been a bit of a struggling for us here in the UK. But hoping things get going.... We have been second guessing the whole way through! haha.. rental houses falling through, no real family here that has a place to stay etc. Used most of our money having to stay in self catering. We were supposed to move in yesterday but the council issued the landlord a section 21, so he can't get rid of the tenant for another two months, as she is on the housing list and will be kicked out. ugh... its been a very emotional whirlwind!

We still need to apply for the residence card, tackling it ourselves, which is a bit stressful. But the cheapest company we could find wanted 350 which we aren't able to afford.

Off to work on that 91 page document now! (Some more...) Need to get it sent so hubby can start his job.

sp84

Post by sp84 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:08 pm

Wow Lisa! it definitely sounds like you have had an interesting time since getting there. I thought you were staying with family (or friends maybe?) for the first little while, to help you get settled? It is never easy moving country - especially if you don't have a support network there as a base to build from. One step at a time though and things will fall in to place. I am sure are soon as you are both able to work, that will have a knock on effect with other things. Which category are you applying under for the Residence Card? Employed, job seeker etc?

I am going to ask a solicitor when I am back, if I would qualify for the RC under the self-sufficient category - that way I will hopefully be able to apply for it as soon as possible. I am also still working on getting some sort of work set up, but nothing definite on that yet!

Thanks for the congratulations regarding the family permit. I am grateful that I have the process (up to this point at least) finished by now. I honestly thought I wouldn't even see my RN until the end of May, never mind have the Family Permit at this stage!

Now I suppose I just have to get myself flights booked etc!

darren1972uk
Ireland

Post by darren1972uk » Mon May 02, 2016 9:11 pm

Is Is it correct if my wife comes on uk vistor visa then I get my rc thus being single nationality (Irish) I can change to family whilst she is in the uk. We also have two kids.
Please let me know.

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Mon May 02, 2016 10:15 pm

sp84 wrote:Wow Lisa! it definitely sounds like you have had an interesting time since getting there. I thought you were staying with family (or friends maybe?) for the first little while, to help you get settled? It is never easy moving country - especially if you don't have a support network there as a base to build from. One step at a time though and things will fall in to place. I am sure are soon as you are both able to work, that will have a knock on effect with other things. Which category are you applying under for the Residence Card? Employed, job seeker etc?

I am going to ask a solicitor when I am back, if I would qualify for the RC under the self-sufficient category - that way I will hopefully be able to apply for it as soon as possible. I am also still working on getting some sort of work set up, but nothing definite on that yet!

Thanks for the congratulations regarding the family permit. I am grateful that I have the process (up to this point at least) finished by now. I honestly thought I wouldn't even see my RN until the end of May, never mind have the Family Permit at this stage!

Now I suppose I just have to get myself flights booked etc!
I have friends and grandparents here, we stayed with my friends for a few days but it wasn't an option for longer. Maybe a bit naive in thinking things would fall into place a bit more quickly!
I have a job starting the 16th of this month, hubby has a job offer but now they are waiting for the letter to come back from the gov regarding the application for residency card.. This was last month already, we are sending it tomorrow.,

I am applying under both "job seeker" and "worker" ... we just need to get it in and doing it ourselves, we thought this would cover both bases! As I can't provide the bank statements and payslips yet. And we can't wait for three months otherwise he will lose the job. Sooo.. we are just giving it a go, and hopefully not going to need to appeal at the end.

Self-sufficient, you will need the medical insurance, from what I read! although, I think you are more clued up than me :)

sp84

Post by sp84 » Tue May 03, 2016 7:21 pm

darren1972uk wrote:Is Is it correct if my wife comes on uk vistor visa then I get my rc thus being single nationality (Irish) I can change to family whilst she is in the uk. We also have two kids.
Please let me know.
Hey Darren, I do not think this is correct. When you say visitor visa, do you mean the EEA Family Permit (they are both different from what I understand).

I thought I read an article last week (can't seem to find it now) that says you cannot switch between certain types of Visas while inside the UK - they would require individuals to go back to their home country and apply for there. Again I cannot remember which visas this applied too. You may want to get in touch with an immigration lawyer, even for a consultation to see what your options are. I am just giving my best guess based on my small understanding of it.

sp84

Post by sp84 » Tue May 03, 2016 7:31 pm

Lissa6 wrote: I have friends and grandparents here, we stayed with my friends for a few days but it wasn't an option for longer. Maybe a bit naive in thinking things would fall into place a bit more quickly!
I have a job starting the 16th of this month, hubby has a job offer but now they are waiting for the letter to come back from the gov regarding the application for residency card.. This was last month already, we are sending it tomorrow.,

I am applying under both "job seeker" and "worker" ... we just need to get it in and doing it ourselves, we thought this would cover both bases! As I can't provide the bank statements and payslips yet. And we can't wait for three months otherwise he will lose the job. Sooo.. we are just giving it a go, and hopefully not going to need to appeal at the end.

Self-sufficient, you will need the medical insurance, from what I read! although, I think you are more clued up than me :)
Sorry Lisa! I never got an email saying that there had been a reply to the thread!

Congrats on getting a job sorted for yourself! - and your husband for that matter. Hopefully you get the letter etc sorted quick enough so that he can start working.

See I didn't know that you could apply under 2 categories! In advance of me getting there, I am going to have a TV license ordered with my wifes name on it - this will then allow her to set up a bank account.

I haven't decided what the best option for me would be - especially considering how little time I will have between arriving there and the referendum (I want to get the RC application in before the vote)

I won't be able to show that I have applied for jobs etc unless I can do that all from over here.

Also if I apply under self-sufficient, then I should have CSI - so should I already have that paid for, for when I arrive etc so I can include it in the application ?

All a little confusing! The main issue is time - If I even had 1 extra month, I could get more things in place.

darren1972uk
Ireland

Post by darren1972uk » Sat May 14, 2016 10:31 am

Today I got my renunciation letter took about 2 and half months. Didn't think it would come so quickly. I have a few questions.

As we didn't expect it to come so quickly so I applied and got a uk vistor visa for my wife to visit next week.
Question
1.can she still come on vistor visa and change to a family eea visa once she is in the uk?
2. When applying for eea family visa do I have to give job details,accomadation,financial details and send wage slips ect Or can I just put N/A ( what is Minuium stuff I have to send and can it be copies as I have to and to her)
3. How long does it normally take.
4. Can my wife get a one way ticket once she gets eea family visa
5. Where's the link to apply for eea family visa
Thank you all and hang in there

sp84

Post by sp84 » Sun May 15, 2016 12:49 am

darren1972uk wrote:Today I got my renunciation letter took about 2 and half months. Didn't think it would come so quickly. I have a few questions.

As we didn't expect it to come so quickly so I applied and got a uk vistor visa for my wife to visit next week.
Question
1.can she still come on vistor visa and change to a family eea visa once she is in the uk?
2. When applying for eea family visa do I have to give job details,accomadation,financial details and send wage slips ect Or can I just put N/A ( what is Minuium stuff I have to send and can it be copies as I have to and to her)
3. How long does it normally take.
4. Can my wife get a one way ticket once she gets eea family visa
5. Where's the link to apply for eea family visa
Thank you all and hang in there
Hi Darren,

First thing - big congrats on getting the renunciation form back!!

To be honest I am not sure of the answers to some of those questions but will try my best:

(1) I am not sure about switching visas - I don't know if it is legal, plus the EEA Family Permit has to be applied for OUTSIDE of the UK (Ireland will even work for this)

(2) For the Family Permit - the job information and income is not legally needed - I made sure to point this out several times in my cover letter. She is entitled to it by being married to you. So make sure you have proof of that - pictures, marriage certificate etc - you can include the financial information if you want, just so they don't have any reason to mess you around - but that is entirely up to you. I sent my & my wifes most recent wage slips - just to show that we was working in the jobs that we said we were.

(3) How long does it take - that depends on what country you are you applying from. Some places are faster than others. I applied from the USA and mine took exactly 2 weeks from when I submitted it - to when I got everything back (this also included the finger printing that had to be done)

(4) I think a one way ticket will be OK - BUT my wife and I have been looking into flights from the USA - and it is actually cheaper for us to get a return flight - strangely !

(5) https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/home/welcome ... this is the website for the Family Permit application process

Best of luck with it! My experience with the website/the Home Office regarding the Family Permit was very straight forward.

darren1972uk
Ireland

Post by darren1972uk » Mon May 16, 2016 10:36 pm

Thanks for advice. Need some more. Can I send a photo copy passport page or even get it certified then photo copy to email my wife. As I'm trying to get her over quickly and sending originals will take time.

sp84

Post by sp84 » Mon May 16, 2016 10:51 pm

darren1972uk wrote:Thanks for advice. Need some more. Can I send a photo copy passport page or even get it certified then photo copy to email my wife. As I'm trying to get her over quickly and sending originals will take time.
Hey Darren,

I was able to send mine because my wife and & are in the same place at the minute (which I know is not the case for a lot of others). I think some people have gotten a photocopy their passport certified at a local Embassy and used that with the application, but I am not certain on this.

This is the information on the Home Office website for family permits:

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/docume ... st-provide

You must provide:

a valid passport
evidence of your relationship to your EEA family member, eg marriage certificate, civil partnership certificate, birth certificate or proof that you’ve lived together for 2 years if unmarried
your family member’s valid passport or national identity card (or a certified copy if you can’t provide the original)
proof of your dependency if you’re dependent on your EEA family member

This says about the certified copy - because I did not need to do this myself, I am not sure how to get a certified copy - i.e I don't know if a post office, notary etc are able to do this for you - or if it has to be done at an embassy.

I just googled: how to make a certified copy of a passport - and this was one of the links - so it looks like a notary can do it for you:

http://www.immihelp.com/immigration/notarized-copy.html

I know it is expensive - but you can also pay for fast track international delivery if need be.

darren1972uk
Ireland

Post by darren1972uk » Mon May 16, 2016 11:08 pm

Hi again
Thanks for last advice
Final thing I'm stuck on eea national part of application.
1. It's asking for passport details is that hers or mine(I'm the eea national)
2.permanant residential address hers or mine?
3.its ask when he arrived in uk so I know that is me yet under relationship details it's ask" when did they arrive in uk?" I'm confused who is they?
Thank you for your help!!!

sp84

Post by sp84 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:28 pm

darren1972uk wrote:Hi again
Thanks for last advice
Final thing I'm stuck on eea national part of application.
1. It's asking for passport details is that hers or mine(I'm the eea national)
2.permanant residential address hers or mine?
3.its ask when he arrived in uk so I know that is me yet under relationship details it's ask" when did they arrive in uk?" I'm confused who is they?
Thank you for your help!!!
That is a horrible section of the application form! The way I thought about it was - it is your wife's application, so most of the information they are asking for is hers.

(1) For passport details - I put hers

(2) Permanent address - I put hers again

(3) I can't see the question about when did they arrive in the UK (they is probably you though) - There is a question that says does the EEA National currently live in the UK, but for the question I had to answer "NO" - because I am not there yet.

There is also a question that asks for the EEA Nationals registration number - for this I just put my passport number (and said in the cover letter that I don't have a reg #)

darren1972uk
Ireland

Post by darren1972uk » Mon May 16, 2016 11:45 pm

Thanks again almost done. Can you tell me what I should write about cover letter about freedom of movement.
Cheers

sp84

Post by sp84 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:46 pm

darren1972uk wrote:Thanks again almost done. Can you tell me what I should write about cover letter about freedom of movement.
Cheers
If you give me an email address, I can email over mine if you want

darren1972uk
Ireland

Post by darren1972uk » Mon May 16, 2016 11:50 pm

Would I say she is being sponsor by me also, or no because freedom of movement

sp84

Post by sp84 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:54 pm

darren1972uk wrote:Would I say she is being sponsor by me also, or no because freedom of movement
I never mentioned the word sponsor - in my cover letter I just kept banging the drum about her being eligible for the family permit through marriage. My income, savings etc does not legally matter when it comes to this. I also pointed out that I am allowed 3 months to make myself a qualified person etc

darren1972uk
Ireland

Post by darren1972uk » Mon May 16, 2016 11:59 pm

Did u get my email I sent a pm

sp84

Post by sp84 » Tue May 17, 2016 12:04 am

darren1972uk wrote:Did u get my email I sent a pm
No I didn't get it yet - I will copy and paste my cover letter in a PM to you ... let me know if you get it OK