ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling on Naturalisation Certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Travelling on Naturalisation Certificate

Post by Casa » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:48 pm

A COE isn't a Naturalisation certificate. It's proof of Right of Abode.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

johnch121
Newly Registered

Post by johnch121 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:34 pm

Casa wrote:A COE isn't a Naturalisation certificate. It's proof of Right of Abode.
Yes I know that but in reality all that is required is to prove you are English to be allowed to enter as a British citizen and also the other part which is more relevant is!

It should be remembered that the absence of evidence to establish a claim to the right of abode is not, in itself, a ground for refusal of entry.

On the basis of this part of the legislation it is not really necessary to have a COA as not having it is not grounds to refuse entry to the UK.

But again it is going of topic many people have entered on a NC and not had a problem, even some people on this forum I was just wanting to hear from anyone who has done it in the last month or so.

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:35 pm

Imagine an hypothetical situation.
You have got a British passport and your are coming back to home form a non-EU country. You boarded the plane with your passport and somehow you lost the passport. Now at the immigration counter you are saying you are British but you can't prove it as you have lost your British passport. Now what immigration officer will do? He might ask you to provide some other proof of id may be your driving license and then (s)he will check into system to see if you are allowed entry or not? same is the case with travelling after Naturalization. You are British, the day you attended the ceremony. The passport is a travel document that helps you in entering countries around the world "other than GB" with/without appropriate visa. The passport is not required to enter into your own country as long as you can prove you are British.

IMHO :)
I am not an immigration adviser...All IMHO.

Chinho2k

Post by Chinho2k » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:44 pm

UKBALoveStory wrote:Imagine an hypothetical situation.
You have got a British passport and your are coming back to home form a non-EU country. You boarded the plane with your passport and somehow you lost the passport. Now at the immigration counter you are saying you are British but you can't prove it as you have lost your British passport. Now what immigration officer will do? He might ask you to provide some other proof of id may be your driving license and then (s)he will check into system to see if you are allowed entry or not? same is the case with travelling after Naturalization. You are British, the day you attended the ceremony. The passport is a travel document that helps you in entering countries around the world "other than GB" with/without appropriate visa. The passport is not required to enter into your own country as long as you can prove you are British.

Your hypothetical does not quite fit in, ie, the airline and departure country can verify having seen your passport on boarding and may even have your passport number. This here is about deliberately commencing a journey without the proper documents and the issues around naturalisation and BRP. I know for a fact where I come from they probably won't even check you in for the flight if you produced the certificate alone.

(IMO).

johnch121
Newly Registered

Post by johnch121 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:23 am

Chinho2k wrote:
UKBALoveStory wrote:Imagine an hypothetical situation.

Your hypothetical does not quite fit in, ie, the airline and departure country can verify having seen your passport on boarding and may even have your passport number. This here is about deliberately commencing a journey without the proper documents and the issues around naturalisation and BRP. I know for a fact where I come from they probably won't even check you in for the flight if you produced the certificate alone.

(IMO).
You are not reading the post properly the person still has there BRP which any other is unable able to check if still valid at check in. It would be very unlikely that anyone with a BRP would have a problem checking in with a BRP.

nataliaZ
Newly Registered

Post by nataliaZ » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:21 pm

Just arrived to the UK from India. Was travelling on the original naturalisation certificate, foreign passport and copy of ILR card which I returned to the HO after the ceremony in January.
Before booking the flight I called few airlines and asked if they will let me to check in just on the certificate. Few said no VA said yes but I didn't have written confirmation.
In airport on way back I was initially refused to check in but after some crying and demanding to see a manager the matter was resolved. The manager apologised for "miscommunication" with his colleague and gave me the boarding pass.
Entering the UK wasn't a problem and took less than 2 minutes with no questions asked.
So you can travel on the certificate but you will be on the mercy of airline staff and not all of them terribly well informed on the matter.

johnch121
Newly Registered

Post by johnch121 » Mon May 02, 2016 6:21 am

Another person who entered the UK with a Naturalisation Certificate know dout the scare monger will be out soon to say you can not do it. Still no reports of anyone being refused entry into the UK using a Naturalisation Certificate

nataliaZ
Newly Registered

Post by nataliaZ » Mon May 02, 2016 7:17 am

johnch121 wrote:Another person who entered the UK with a Naturalisation Certificate know dout the scare monger will be out soon to say you can not do it. Still no reports of anyone being refused entry into the UK using a Naturalisation Certificate
The problem is not about entering the UK when you are already there but checking in for the flight in the country of departure which might be a serious problem. Etihad Airlines told me on the phone they won't let me to board it is why I bought more expensive VA. I consider myself lucky there was a good manager in Delhi airport otherwise I was facing 16 weeks in India - it is how much time it would take for the passport issued there.

johnch121
Newly Registered

Post by johnch121 » Tue May 03, 2016 7:41 am

Had you wanted to fly with Etihad Airlines you can fax or email them a copy of your BRP before you return it which they are more than happy to accept. Which would be a resolve around not showing it at check in.