ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

International Driver Permit .. is it required in Ottawa?

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

adg
Newly Registered

International Driver Permit .. is it required in Ottawa?

Post by adg » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:42 pm

Is IDP really necessary in Ottawa,Canada??? My license is in English and easily readable.

Ideally I would have applied for the IDP. But I do not have sufficient time to apply for it as I need to travel to my home town.

Please suggest.

thanks,
Abhijit

Canadiancitizen
Newly Registered

Post by Canadiancitizen » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:59 pm

It is not a question of it being readable.

In Canada you have to have either a Canadian issued driving licence, or a IDP. No choice. If you don't have one, you are liable to be arrested by the Police and charged with a criminal offence, namely "driving without a licence ".

Insurance ? Do you have valid and current Canadian automoibile insurance coverage ? That is also a legal requirement to drive in Canada.

Jim Bunting. Toronto.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:13 pm

Canadiancitizen wrote:It is not a question of it being readable.

In Canada you have to have either a Canadian issued driving licence, or a IDP. No choice. If you don't have one, you are liable to be arrested by the Police and charged with a criminal offence, namely "driving without a licence ".
IDP not needed in Ontario for visits of less than 3 months.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/visiting.htm
Insurance ? Do you have valid and current Canadian automoibile insurance coverage ? That is also a legal requirement to drive in Canada.

Jim Bunting. Toronto.
And is normally included in the cost of a rental car, no?