ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR since 40 years

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

stalem
Newly Registered

ILR since 40 years

Post by stalem » Tue May 03, 2016 8:22 pm

Hello guys!

I was hoping someone might be able to help--my dad used to live in the UK in the 1970s and has ILR since 1976. He is now 64 and wants to come to live in the UK with me.
How long would he have to stay before he is eligible to apply for naturalisation?

Thanks in advance!!

secret.simon

Re: ILR since 40 years

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 03, 2016 8:27 pm

ILR is lost if he stayed outside the UK for more than 2 years.

He will have to start from scratch, as a new migrant.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

stalem
Newly Registered

Post by stalem » Tue May 03, 2016 8:29 pm

Sorry should've made it clearer--My dad has entered the UK every 1.5 years and still holds ILR!

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 03, 2016 8:34 pm

Remember that short visits do not maintain ILR. He needs to be settled in the UK.

Have a go through the Citizenship FAQ.

He will need to meet the standard presence requirements; no more than 450 days absences in 5 years, no more than 90 days absence in the year prior to the application and most crucially, he must have been in the UK on the day five years prior to the application. The Home Office has no discretion about the last requirement and if he has had frequent absences from the UK, that will have an impact on his application.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue May 03, 2016 8:41 pm

Dad will have to stay long enough to pass LITUK & satisfy proof of English too.

And develop some links with referees (one professional) who can vouch for him.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 03, 2016 8:50 pm

noajthan wrote:Dad will have to stay long enough to pass LITUK & satisfy proof of English too.
Dad is 64. In a year (which will likely be necessary), he will not need LITUK and knowledge of English.

I had forgotten about the referees. They will need to have known him for 3 years and must not be relatives. One of them must be a British citizen, though a British citizen resident in your father's country of normal residence would be fine.

stalem
Newly Registered

Post by stalem » Tue May 03, 2016 10:27 pm

Thanks so much guys!
He turns 65 in August so he won't have to do the LITUK bit.
He has loads of British National friends and colleagues from when he used to live here so referees won't be a problem.

I guess he'll just have to come and live here for 5 years before he can apply for Naturalisation :o

Thanks again everyone!