ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

URGENT-Suspicious phone call from Croydon PEO

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

GO61

URGENT-Suspicious phone call from Croydon PEO

Post by GO61 » Wed May 04, 2016 7:55 pm

Hi

I have an appointment tomorrow morning at Croydon PEO.
Someone just called me on my mobile, at 7:30 PM, no caller ID, claiming he's from Home Office; and he said my name and my appointment time tomorrow morning, and that he needs to reschedule my appointment, as they're having some "IT Problems"...
I said I'd like to come at the time of my appointment and then he said if I did so, there wouldn't be any guarantee of outcome. I asked what that means and he wasn't very clear.
Am I right to feel this is very suspicious??
He said this is the 3rd day they're experiencing this problem and don't know when it will be fixed. But I haven't received any email..etc. And being called in the evening after working hours sounds a bit fishy..
We're going to go at the time of our appointment anyway, and see what happens.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this??

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: URGENT-Suspicious phone call from Croydon PEO

Post by CR001 » Wed May 04, 2016 8:00 pm

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

GO61

Post by GO61 » Wed May 04, 2016 8:17 pm

Thanks CR001... It did sound suspicious, and looks like it is a scam. But I'm a little worried as he said my full name and my appointment time for tomorrow, before me saying anything. It's a bit concerning how they get this data. Also do you think they might be able to do anyting with my appointment on the system , or payment details?

Thx

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 04, 2016 8:19 pm

No idea. You will only know if you go to the appointment as planned tomorrow.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

pandd0
Newly Registered

Post by pandd0 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:16 pm

Hi - I guess it might be a genuine call from Home Office with caller id blocked. I too was having appointment yesterday (3rd May). We did biometric and then IT systems went down. We (all applicants) were sent back without decision by EOD. We were given letter which said "systems are down and they can take decision only when system is up". As mentioned in your post from last three days it was down, I think that is correct.

Hope this helps.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed May 04, 2016 9:24 pm

It may well be genuine. The HO are generally liable to return the premium fee if there is an IT system failure and the application has to be deferred and not processed on the day. They may be covering themselves from making a refund as you've been notified, offered an alternative booking but you have decided to attend despite being pre-warned of the problem.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed May 04, 2016 10:01 pm

Suggest you call HO in morning before you travel to see what's what.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Jacob123

Post by Jacob123 » Wed May 04, 2016 10:27 pm

I can confirm that they had a problem with IT system on 3rd from early morning 8.30 am and we waited (Croydon PSC) the whole day and around 3.30 PM everyone was asked to go back with a letter that we will get a call from homeoffice asap once the IT system is up and decision by case worker is taken. The letter also mentioned that the premium service fees of £500 will be refunded.

Looks like the problem with the IT system is not resolved as I did not get a call today.

Cheers,
Jacob

GO61

Post by GO61 » Thu May 05, 2016 7:59 am

Looks like the call was genuine then, but it did not sound like it, and blocked number, and no emails, and being called at 7:30 pm ; so it is understandable for us to think it could well be scam and still go to the appointment ; so we should still be getting the PEO fee refund.
On our way now, will keep you posted.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu May 05, 2016 8:29 am

GO61 wrote:Looks like the call was genuine then, but it did not sound like it, and blocked number, and no emails, and being called at 7:30 pm ; so it is understandable for us to think it could well be scam and still go to the appointment ; so we should still be getting the PEO fee refund.
On our way now, will keep you posted.
As my previous post...I would be cautious about relying on an automatic refund as you were advised not to attend and given the opportunity to re-schedule, which you still have. You may find when you arrive at the PSC that no applications are accepted.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

RRSB2012

Post by RRSB2012 » Thu May 05, 2016 10:46 am

Just caller ID being blocked shouldn't make it suspicious. I think they have good reasons to keep caller ID blocked, else they will get million calls on that number everyday. Consider the following:
1. Did the caller asked you for any personal details?
2. Did the caller asked you for any money?
3. What could be the potential benefit to the caller?

If the answers to above are 'No', then treat the call as Genuine.

By the way when I booked by ILR appointment back in March 2016, I also got a call requesting me to re-schedule. The guy even agreed to email me but email never came. I re-scheduled anyways. But less than a day before the appointment is cutting it fine. I would say follow Noajthan's advise.
Cheers
R

Subtle

Post by Subtle » Thu May 05, 2016 11:50 am

I am just curious after reading those links in the posts above. How do they know you have a pending application with UKBA?
How do they know your name, mobile number and other details?

Doesn't it look an inside job?

I have seriously started to doubt now about UKBA that whenever they say our details are protected by the data protection act blah blah blah.... Are my personal details really safe?
The views and opinions expressed in this post are exclusively mine and must be assumed as advice only. These do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any representative of the UK Home Office.

GO61

Post by GO61 » Thu May 05, 2016 12:05 pm

We've been in PEO since 8:15 this morning
The situation is horrible here.
It's beyond the question of whether the call was genuine, it was, but how can they expect people to go by a call out of the blue late in the evening before the appointment?? Everyone here is saying the same thing - that they thought it was a scam call.
More importantly :
The issue still going on. And the thing is, no one is agreeing to give a letter saying IF the decision is not made today, we're entitled to a refund.
I told them I'm not leaving here until I have in writing that IF the decision doesn't happen today, I will get a refund.
Everyone knows we should get a refund if the decision doesn't happen today, but they're saying they can't guarantee it. It's unacceptable.
Let's see what happens.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu May 05, 2016 12:10 pm

Subtle wrote:I am just curious after reading those links in the posts above. How do they know you have a pending application with UKBA?

I have seriously started to doubt now about UKBA that whenever they say our details are protected by the data protection act blah blah blah.... Are my personal details really safe?
The call was from the UKVI and genuine. :| FYI (The UKBA was disbanded in April 2013).
(Casa, not CR001)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu May 05, 2016 12:15 pm

Casa wrote:...

The call was from the UKVI and genuine. :| FYI (The UKBA was disbanded in April 2013).
Scammers usually allege some sort of visa improprieties that can be fixed for a certain fee (over the phone).
This has not been reported in this case.

HO/UKVI were probably just trying to help their customers as they work through their current IT challenges.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu May 05, 2016 12:22 pm

noajthan wrote:
Casa wrote:...

Scammers usually allege some sort of visa improprieties that can be fixed for a certain fee (over the phone).
This has not been reported in this case.

HO/UKVI were probably just trying to help their customers as they work through their current IT challenges.
Or absolving any responsibility to refund the premium fee by advising 'customers' not to attend and to re-schedule. :|
(Casa, not CR001)

Subtle

Post by Subtle » Thu May 05, 2016 12:24 pm

Casa wrote:
Subtle wrote:I am just curious after reading those links in the posts above. How do they know you have a pending application with UKBA?

Not going to argue whether the call was genuine or fake. As I said I was only "curious" as to how these scammers (as others have report in those links) get hold of your information.
Surely there is someone at either UKBA or HO or whatever they call themselves, who is actually handing out this info illegally?

Edit: the word "_fake_" has been auto translated to "bad quality" in my post. lol
The views and opinions expressed in this post are exclusively mine and must be assumed as advice only. These do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any representative of the UK Home Office.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu May 05, 2016 12:33 pm

Subtle wrote:... As I said I was only "curious" as to how these scammers (as others have report in those links) get hold of your information.
Surely there is someone at either UKBA or HO or whatever they call themselves, who is actually handing out this info illegally?
It may or may not be inside information.

Such scammers may also be 'friends' (or friends of 'friends') of the concerned person. Either having a laugh or worse.
Members have reported on such cases in the past.

Bijuk

Post by Bijuk » Thu May 05, 2016 1:07 pm

GO61 wrote:We've been in PEO since 8:15 this morning
The situation is horrible here.
It's beyond the question of whether the call was genuine, it was, but how can they expect people to go by a call out of the blue late in the evening before the appointment?? Everyone here is saying the same thing - that they thought it was a scam call.
More importantly :
The issue still going on. And the thing is, no one is agreeing to give a letter saying IF the decision is not made today, we're entitled to a refund.
I told them I'm not leaving here until I have in writing that IF the decision doesn't happen today, I will get a refund.
Everyone knows we should get a refund if the decision doesn't happen today, but they're saying they can't guarantee it. It's unacceptable.
Let's see what happens.
Have you done your biometrics ?

Jacob123

Post by Jacob123 » Thu May 05, 2016 3:27 pm

on the 3rd May biometric system was working and they did take the biometric.

Post that there is some process of biometric verification, it is that process that could not be completed as they needed access to data from IT system to verify details.

This is the reason we are not expected to go back and give the biometric again as it is already taken.

Not sure what happened today.

Cheers,
Jacob

GO61

Post by GO61 » Thu May 05, 2016 5:10 pm

Yes we did biometrics.
Yes they said there's some sort of problem re biometrics feedback stytem (ie they take the biometrics but they cannot check with the database or can't get feedback..something like that), and it's nationwide.
All they said is we'll call you - but no one knows when.
Has anyone from 3rd May has been contacted by the Home Office with a decision yet does anyone know?

Jacob123

Post by Jacob123 » Thu May 05, 2016 5:47 pm

GO61 wrote:Yes we did biometrics.
Yes they said there's some sort of problem re biometrics feedback stytem (ie they take the biometrics but they cannot check with the database or can't get feedback..something like that), and it's nationwide.
All they said is we'll call you - but no one knows when.
Has anyone from 3rd May has been contacted by the Home Office with a decision yet does anyone know?
No they have not contacted yet as the system has been down continuously since the 3rd morning.

Cheers,
Jacob

tyrian619
Newly Registered

Post by tyrian619 » Thu May 05, 2016 6:52 pm

Lets continue the discussion on the below link

http://www.immigrationboards.com/genera ... 08550.html