ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel after ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mariamuk

Travel after ceremony

Post by mariamuk » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:12 pm

Hello

I have a quick question - will I be able to travel after ceremony as I would have to give away
the BRP card back within 5 days?
Will I show Certificate at the boarder?

Thank you

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Travel after ceremony

Post by Casa » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:19 pm

How will you board the aeroplane without a valid BRP on the return journey?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

mariamuk

Post by mariamuk » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:52 pm

I thought to show certificate after ceremony or that wont be enough?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:58 pm

mariamuk wrote:I thought to show certificate after ceremony or that wont be enough?
No - the airline or port authorities won't know what it is and always err on the side of caution (big fines if they get it wrong).

Can you not travel on your current passport?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:58 pm

The airline is unlikely to accept a citizens certificate as a right to travel.

Edit: Pipped at the post by Wanderer!

Entering with your passport won't work unless you're a non-visa national.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

tripping

Post by tripping » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:52 am

mariamuk wrote:Hello

I have a quick question - will I be able to travel after ceremony as I would have to give away
the BRP card back within 5 days?
Will I show Certificate at the boarder?

Thank you
Has this travel been already booked in advanece, in anticipation of your BC being approved before the trip commences? If yes, some members have travelled using their cert and cancelled BRP (not returning it to HO within 5 days, risking the fine) without incident, however the risks are there (fine, airline boarding refusal). Those people were lucky but they took a huge risk. They might advise you that its fine, they had no problems with it. Bear in mind airline security has tightened in the times that we live in, in the wake of current events. And no, its not scaremongering, those are the facts and rules.

I would also advice against travelling without getting your UK passport first. I suggest that you lodge the passport application immediately after your ceremony, and wait 3-6 weeks including interview time. Reschedule your travel if you can - that would be the prudent course of action.

tamilmaran
- thin ice -

Post by tamilmaran » Thu May 05, 2016 6:01 pm

Can I travel to India with Indian passport to India ( without BRP ) and return with British Passport . ( In-trim adjustment ) (ofcourse later , I will process my OCI )
Please update BC timeline in google docs https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... li=1#gid=0

I am another user just like you.....!!
===TAMILMARAN===

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu May 05, 2016 6:10 pm

How will you have a British passport to return with? Unless you've applied through the joint BC/passport application service, you will have to attend an interview before the passport is issued. :?
(Casa, not CR001)

tamilmaran
- thin ice -

Post by tamilmaran » Thu May 05, 2016 6:46 pm

Casa wrote:How will you have a British passport to return with? Unless you've applied through the joint BC/passport application service, you will have to attend an interview before the passport is issued. :?

Dear CASA and all members,
My sincere thanks to all of you....
I have applied through JCAP and got my approval letter today. Seeing the trend, i hope , I may get my passport in 4-6 weeks after my ceremony. My question is can I travel out to India by Indian passport and return by British passport. ( Thought of using the school holidays to go to India )

Thanks and regards
Please update BC timeline in google docs https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... li=1#gid=0

===TAMILMARAN===

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 05, 2016 7:26 pm

tamilmaran wrote:
Casa wrote:How will you have a British passport to return with? Unless you've applied through the joint BC/passport application service, you will have to attend an interview before the passport is issued. :?

Dear CASA and all members,
My sincere thanks to all of you....
I have applied through JCAP and got my approval letter today. Seeing the trend, i hope , I may get my passport in 4-6 weeks after my ceremony. My question is can I travel out to India by Indian passport and return by British passport. ( Thought of using the school holidays to go to India )

Thanks and regards
You are only British once you attend your ceremony. JCAP process means you should receive your passport within a few days of ceremony. You have 90 days from the date of your ceremony to travel on your Indian passport without incurring penalties.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tamilmaran
- thin ice -

Post by tamilmaran » Thu May 05, 2016 8:03 pm

Thanks CR001 for the reply.

I am aware that 90 days grace period. My question is once I have surrendered my BRP. , I think I wont be having any problem in traveling to India with my Indian passport. While returning can I use my British passport (I will not have any visa status to get back to UK)

Thanks in advance...

===TAMILMARAN===

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 05, 2016 8:22 pm

If you have a British passport, you don't need a visa or BRP. When checking in to leave India, you will have to show both passports.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu May 05, 2016 8:23 pm

tamilmaran wrote:Thanks CR001 for the reply.

I am aware that 90 days grace period. My question is once I have surrendered my BRP. , I think I wont be having any problem in traveling to India with my Indian passport. While returning can I use my British passport (I will not have any visa status to get back to UK)

Thanks in advance...
If you have a British passport you won't need a visa. :?

Edit: Pipped by CR001, Miss Speedy Fingers
(Casa, not CR001)

tamilmaran
- thin ice -

Post by tamilmaran » Thu May 05, 2016 8:31 pm

Dear CR001 and CASA,
Thank you so much, to summarize, I can use both passports to enter India and UK disclosing both passports. Once again Thanks,

===TAMILMARAN===

johnch121
Newly Registered

Post by johnch121 » Fri May 06, 2016 9:33 am

You can fax a copy of your BRP to the airline before you return it, phone the airline to check they have received it and are happy with it. Then get them to email you to confirm that you are good to fly.

Problem Solved

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri May 06, 2016 9:40 am

johnch121 wrote:You can fax a copy of your BRP to the airline before you return it, phone the airline to check they have received it and are happy with it. Then get them to email you to confirm that you are good to fly.

Problem Solved
In the OP's case this won't be required as they say they will be travelling with a British passport.
(Casa, not CR001)