ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship appl from Northern Ireland - Irish referees

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

johannf

Citizenship appl from Northern Ireland - Irish referees

Post by johannf » Thu May 05, 2016 12:40 pm

Hi everyone. Well I am applying for citizenship through marriage, from Northern Ireland. My application is complete except for the "Referees" page. I contacted INIS/Citizenship dept and asked them about this. With living in Belfast everyone I know are basically british, no-one I know has Irish citizenship. The citizenship division has insisted that there 3 referees MUST be irish. So I am basically stumped. I have all the documents and requirements, but they say they wont accept british referees even if they were born here and basically entitled to irish citizenship. Has anyone here been in the same situation, and is there a way to overcome this? Its a disaster for me at this time, and honestly dissapointing.

akhill2015
Newly Registered

Re: Citizenship appl from Northern Ireland - Irish referees

Post by akhill2015 » Fri May 06, 2016 11:04 am

johannf wrote:Hi everyone. Well I am applying for citizenship through marriage, from Northern Ireland. My application is complete except for the "Referees" page. I contacted INIS/Citizenship dept and asked them about this. With living in Belfast everyone I know are basically british, no-one I know has Irish citizenship. The citizenship division has insisted that there 3 referees MUST be irish. So I am basically stumped. I have all the documents and requirements, but they say they wont accept british referees even if they were born here and basically entitled to irish citizenship. Has anyone here been in the same situation, and is there a way to overcome this? Its a disaster for me at this time, and honestly dissapointing.
Hi,

I am also doing my application from NI. I have British citizens on mine. However they put Irish down as technically they are born here and under the Good Friday Agreement they can put down Irish or British. They are not required to have an Irish passport to determine citizenship a birth certificate showing they are born in NI is enough. As for spouse application the spouse needs to only provide a birth certificate if that is all they have to show they are Irish.

Can I ask you for the residence permission section where it asks you to fill in the online calculator. What did you put in this section? No or Yes?

Akhill.

johannf

Post by johannf » Fri May 06, 2016 12:24 pm

Hi akhil
As per the citizenship divisions advice via email: "You can tick ' No ' and write 'N/A' alongside"

akhill2015
Newly Registered

Post by akhill2015 » Fri May 06, 2016 1:36 pm

Thanks thats helpful.

Good luck with your application!

akhill2015
Newly Registered

Post by akhill2015 » Mon May 09, 2016 3:09 pm

[quote][/quote]

Hi,

Sorry to disturb you again.

Can I ask how you are paying for the application? I have went to the post office in Belfast and they will not give the money in Euro. My bank has also refused. Does it depend on the bank involved?

Regards,

Akhill

johannf

Post by johannf » Mon May 09, 2016 3:13 pm

I got a bank draft in euro from my bank no problem. (Ulster Bank). Cant see why they would refuse it at your bank.

akhill2015
Newly Registered

Post by akhill2015 » Mon May 09, 2016 3:21 pm

[quote][/quote]

Thanks for that. I have an HSBC bank account and they refused. I had went to Ulster Bank beside City Hall but he told me it would take too long as they have to email across to DOJ in Dublin and get permission or something like that. Told me to go to the post office but they said they don't do it in Euro.

I will just go to another Ulster Bank with my wife to get it then!

crisbella218
China

Post by crisbella218 » Mon May 09, 2016 3:51 pm

johannf wrote:Hi akhil
As per the citizenship divisions advice via email: "You can tick ' No ' and write 'N/A' alongside"
Thanks this answers one of my questions I asked in the forum which no one answered!

I also got a report from the PSNI is that ok for the application?

I have the following ready to go: Anything missing?

Hi,

I am in the process of getting all my documents and application form finished for an application for Irish Citizenship based on marriage to an Irish citizen. We are currently based in Belfast.

I currently have two queries that I hope someone can help me with regarding this type of application.

Firstly is it correct to get a PSNI Criminal Record Check (DAT1) and sent this along with the application to show proof of no criminal convictions.

Secondly question 5 regards the Residency permissions. However not having lived in the state means I do not have much to fill in here apart from my passport number. But 5.3 gives the impression if I do not fill the online calculator in and print it out, it will be automatically rejected. Is this required or should Yes/No be ticked and the UK Biometric card certified copy along with any other pass visas be sent?

Also I am including the following documentation if anyone can advise if anything is missing:

My birth certificate (certified copy)
My Passport bio page (certified copy)
Spouse passport bio page (certified copy)
Spouse Birth certificate (certified copy)
Son's Irish passport (certified copy)
Son's birth certificate (certified copy)
Marriage certificate (certified copy)
UK Biometric card copy (certified copy)
Various Tourist Irish visas over the last 3 years (certified copies)
Copy of last 3 pay slips
Last P60
3 different bills for me and my spouse for last 3 months at our current address
Bills for the last 3 years for myself showing date and address
PSNI Criminal Record Check
Letter from employer
Last 3 months bank statements
2 passport photos
Application form
Bankers draft

akhill2015
Newly Registered

Post by akhill2015 » Mon May 09, 2016 3:55 pm

crisbella218 wrote:
johannf wrote:Hi akhil
Thanks this answers one of my questions I asked in the forum which no one answered!

I also got a report from the PSNI is that ok for the application?

I have the following ready to go: Anything missing?

Hi,

I am in the process of getting all my documents and application form finished for an application for Irish Citizenship based on marriage to an Irish citizen. We are currently based in Belfast.

I currently have two queries that I hope someone can help me with regarding this type of application.

Firstly is it correct to get a PSNI Criminal Record Check (DAT1) and sent this along with the application to show proof of no criminal convictions.

Secondly question 5 regards the Residency permissions. However not having lived in the state means I do not have much to fill in here apart from my passport number. But 5.3 gives the impression if I do not fill the online calculator in and print it out, it will be automatically rejected. Is this required or should Yes/No be ticked and the UK Biometric card certified copy along with any other pass visas be sent?

Also I am including the following documentation if anyone can advise if anything is missing:

My birth certificate (certified copy)
My Passport bio page (certified copy)
Spouse passport bio page (certified copy)
Spouse Birth certificate (certified copy)
Son's Irish passport (certified copy)
Son's birth certificate (certified copy)
Marriage certificate (certified copy)
UK Biometric card copy (certified copy)
Various Tourist Irish visas over the last 3 years (certified copies)
Copy of last 3 pay slips
Last P60
3 different bills for me and my spouse for last 3 months at our current address
Bills for the last 3 years for myself showing date and address
PSNI Criminal Record Check
Letter from employer
Last 3 months bank statements
2 passport photos
Application form
Bankers draft
Seems fine. One of the things it has on the application guidance is that all pages of the passport must be copied (however not certified). Don't know how important they view just having the bio page and the visas or you need to take a copy of every single page even the blanks. I only did my bio page.

Regards,

Akhill.

johannf

Post by johannf » Mon May 09, 2016 5:01 pm

hi chrisbella
Dont think you need the PSNI doc, but wont hurt sending it along to them. Did you also get a bank draft?

akhill, copies of all pages that has stamps/visas on it. I also certified those to be safe.

crisbella218
China

Post by crisbella218 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:51 am

johannf wrote:hi chrisbella
Dont think you need the PSNI doc, but wont hurt sending it along to them. Did you also get a bank draft?

akhill, copies of all pages that has stamps/visas on it. I also certified those to be safe.
Yea got a bank draft from Ulster Bank in connswater.

I read other websites about PSNI report so just wanted to ask. It just tells them you have no criminal record of any type. Similar to what they would request from the Garda.

I took copies of all my UK visas in the passport, Irish tourist visas, bio page etc. Got those all certified like johannf to be safe. However looking at my passport I have a few pages with stamps I didn't put on. So may just do another copy of the pages and staple them together. Better to have more documents!