ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claimed child tax credit as single but claimant is married

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mairyk10
United Kingdom

Claimed child tax credit as single but claimant is married

Post by mairyk10 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:50 pm

i am claiming child benefit on my name only along with child tax and working tax as a single person but hv applied for my husband leave to remain .will it effect his application or not???

mike799
Newly Registered

Re: child tax credit

Post by mike799 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:04 pm

mairyk10 wrote:will it effect his application or not???
''No' it would't effect your husband application''.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:18 am

mairyk10 wrote:i am claiming child benefit on my name only along with child tax and working tax as a single person but hv applied for my husband leave to remain .will it effect his application or not???
You HAVE to claim tax credits in JOINT names. You are not claiming correctly, you are NOT single and this could result in problems for you.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mairyk10
United Kingdom

Post by mairyk10 » Wed May 04, 2016 3:06 pm

CR001 wrote:
mairyk10 wrote:i am claiming child benefit on my name only along with child tax and working tax as a single person but hv applied for my husband leave to remain .will it effect his application or not???
You HAVE to claim tax credits in JOINT names. You are not claiming correctly, you are NOT single and this could result in problems for you.

hhhmm but i have told everything to hmrc about our situation as we havnt register our marriage yet first they said no then they send me letter saying that yes you qualify for this as a single person but if ur circumstances chnages like if i got married or register our mareiage rhen i have to inform them which i will definetly. as the moment cant register our marriagw becoz my passport and my partner passport are with home office for his leave to remain appliction so what should i do now?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed May 04, 2016 6:23 pm

What do you mean exactly by 'register' your marriage? Did you marry abroad or have a marriage ceremony in the UK which isn't recognised as legal under British law? :?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noajthan

Re: Claimed child tax credit as single but claimant is marri

Post by noajthan » Wed May 04, 2016 6:34 pm

- and how long have you been married and have ignored HMRC instruction to advise them of such changes?

Also remember HMRC clerks are not trained and professional immigration advisors and won't be so interested in protecting your hubby's visa status. It's no good playing one department against another.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

mairyk10
United Kingdom

Post by mairyk10 » Wed May 04, 2016 10:57 pm

Casa wrote:What do you mean exactly by 'register' your marriage? Did you marry abroad or have a marriage ceremony in the UK which isn't recognised as legal under British law? :?

yh our marriage doesn't recognise as legal under british law...which thy called it unmarried partner. and i just had the first payment a week ago so it will be better to call thm again to clarify it again..hhmm

mairyk10
United Kingdom

Post by mairyk10 » Wed May 04, 2016 11:17 pm

noajthan wrote:- and how long have you been married and have ignored HMRC instruction to advise them of such changes?

Also remember HMRC clerks are not trained and professional immigration advisors and won't be so interested in protecting your hubby's visa status. It's no good playing one department against another.

well its not about ignoring if i was ignoring i wouldnt ask here and i wouldnt send covering letters to hmrc stating the whole situation and if hmrc clerks r not professional then i dont think so that thy would bd there on their post plus i spoke myself with my compliance officer and i just need clarification that being unmarried partner as per british law shall i need to put my partner name on ctc & wtc or not. simple is that

mairyk10
United Kingdom

Post by mairyk10 » Wed May 04, 2016 11:36 pm

noajthan wrote:- and how long have you been married and have ignored HMRC instruction to advise them of such changes?

and secondly my query is not about playing or tricking one department against another but i respect uk law and will like to obey all the rules properly but we r humans we tend to do mistakes not by purpose but by misunderstanding or miscommunication..

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed May 04, 2016 11:42 pm

HMRC are not expected to be professional immigration advisors is what I said.
Meaning you don't know if they're aware paying your claim could impact your visa status.

You have actually confused the issue by talking about being married & having a husband, if not actually in a recognised marriage.

Whether married or not you are clearly in a relationship (based on posts here) and so you are not a lone single.
That is all.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu May 05, 2016 5:15 pm

The OP seems to be in a "relationship akin to marriage", not an actual marriage. Does a live-in relationship, not amounting to a legally binding marriage, need to be declared to HMRC?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu May 05, 2016 5:50 pm

HMRC consider unmarried couples for tax credits in the same way as married couples. Therefore there will be a problem if tax credits have been claimed as a single person.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/ccmmanual/ccm15040.htm
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri May 06, 2016 5:05 pm

Failure to declare that you're living with someone as a partner is likely to result in an overpayment, a civil penalty and possibly criminal prosecution, depending of the case.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

mairyk10
United Kingdom

Post by mairyk10 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:48 pm

Amber wrote:Failure to declare that you're living with someone as a partner is likely to result in an overpayment, a civil penalty and possibly criminal prosecution, depending of the case.
thanks casa and amber for link and advice.
i did mention to them that we are married as per islamic law and unmarried as per english law and we r living at the same address but still they didnt put his name and awarded me tax credit as a single person. so i have wrote them again to amend it. let see

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 10, 2016 8:10 am

mairyk10 wrote:we are married as per islamic law and unmarried as per english law and we r living at the same addres
Keep it simple. Tell them you are in a live-in relationship. That is something they can comprehend quickly and ticks boxes faster than the mixture of statements about being married under Islamic law, but not under English law, etc.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

mairyk10
United Kingdom

Post by mairyk10 » Thu May 19, 2016 4:51 pm

all done.
thank you
plz admin lock this thread so no one can post any more reply..
cheers