ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Worried about my Colombian partner coming to the UK!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lorr
Newly Registered

Worried about my Colombian partner coming to the UK!

Post by lorr » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:18 pm

I am really worried that my boyfriend will be unable to come over to the UK when its eventually time for us to get married. We met each other whilst working together on a cruise ship over the past few months and we have been inseperable since. Although we are planning to go to each others countries to start off with,I believe that he will have problems coming over to the UK as he is from Colombia.
In the UK, Colombians get a lot of bad press due to Drugs etc, and I somehow believe that it will affect his chances of even coming over for a General visit, and even marriage in the foreseeable future.

He is definitely the one for me, and he feels the same way no doubt about that, but sometimes I feel the added pressure when it comes to Visas and Immigration etc.
To be honest I would prefer if we eventually got married in the UK and him relocate over here.

I would love to hear from those who faced hurdles and challenges like this, which eventually led to both partners being reunited.

Also can someone give me further advice on how to get the ball rolling in regards to Visas etc?

Also would it be easier for us to get married in his country(Colombia) and him coming over to the UK?

As a UK Citizen, what would be the best option?

Much advice needed

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:02 pm

Wow - a lot of questions.
To be honest I would prefer if we eventually got married in the UK and him relocate over here.
Then you either need a fiancee visa or he needs to qualify for a visa in his own right (tier 1 or tier 2). You should start at www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk which will outline what you need to do.
I would love to hear from those who faced hurdles and challenges like this, which eventually led to both partners being reunited.
My wife is south american and we managed to marry in the UK without an issue. However, I do have a good job and was able to show sufficient finances to support us. We also had a good record of our relationship to show the Entry Clearance Officier (ECO).
Also would it be easier for us to get married in his country(Colombia) and him coming over to the UK?
Cheaper perhaps (it's one less visa).
As a UK Citizen, what would be the best option?
As in where is it best to get married? The citizenship doesn't make much difference. What matters is that the marriage is legal and you have sufficient money and housing to be able to support him without recourse to public funds.

Have a read of the partners and families section of the UKBA website and come back with questions.

Also - prepare yourself for the cost of the visas. An initial settlement visa is in the region of £700. If you go down the fiancee route - you'll need to transfer to FLR(M) within 6 months - a further £650. Costs are rising all the time.

M.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:43 am

If you're still working on a cruise ship, is there any possibility that you could get married on board? It's a service offered on some P & O trips:-

http://www.pocruises.com/wedding/wedding.asp

In addition to the costs mentioned by MPH, any fiance or spouse application must include a certificate in English language - the test may cost £150 or more.

lorr
Newly Registered

Post by lorr » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:40 pm

Thanks for the replies and sorry for posting back late. I just found out that I am pregnant and although I am happy, I feel so alone because my partner is not here with me.

Once he found out he quit the ship and went back home so that he could start the ball rolling in regards to the visa. He is over the moon, but at the same time we are still both worried whether he will be able to come over to the UK. There seems to be alot of paperwork and I am just worried that he might not be here for the birth.In regards to finances although he has to start looking for a job, I'm just worried that he won't meet the requirements financially in order to be here.

We both still want to get married, and although I was thinking of going over to his country, I'm afraid that as the months go on it will be more difficulty during my 3rd trimester.

I really need some more advice

chinagef

Post by chinagef » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:01 pm

lorr wrote:Thanks for the replies and sorry for posting back late. I just found out that I am pregnant and although I am happy, I feel so alone because my partner is not here with me.

Once he found out he quit the ship and went back home so that he could start the ball rolling in regards to the visa. He is over the moon, but at the same time we are still both worried whether he will be able to come over to the UK. There seems to be alot of paperwork and I am just worried that he might not be here for the birth.In regards to finances although he has to start looking for a job, I'm just worried that he won't meet the requirements financially in order to be here.

We both still want to get married, and although I was thinking of going over to his country, I'm afraid that as the months go on it will be more difficulty during my 3rd trimester.

I really need some more advice
Firstly, congratulations with the good news!

There are many options for your partner if he wishes to come to the UK, and it really depends on his and your personal circumstances.

For example, he may have specific skills and/or earning which may qualify him under tier 1 or tier 2 of the immigration rules. He may even consider coming to study in the UK where tier 4 will be a possiblity.

If he wishes to rely on you as a "sponsor" towards an entry clearance application, you would need to show legal ties with each other, and getting married would be a way of showing this.

There are many ways of doing this, for example, he could apply for a fiance visa to enter the UK in order to get married. Because there are strict working restrictions on fiance migrants, a more financially viable route would be to perhaps marry outside the UK, and for him to enter as your spouse. Spouses can work full time.

If getting married is currently not a viable option, he may wish to enter under one of the tier categories, then when you are ready, to get married and switch into a spouse, which can be done without having to return to his home country.

There are many more possibilities for hiim to enter the UK, hence it may be worth while having a consultation with an immigration expert to determine which route would be best for you.

Good luck!

lorr
Newly Registered

Post by lorr » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:07 pm

Thanks ever so much for replying.

I contacted an Immigration Lawyer who said that it will be very very difficult for him to come over even on a Tourist Visa. She said that as I am expecting a child it will seem that he will come over to the UK and stay illegally(which is not the case whatsoever).

She also said that it would be difficult to apply for either a fiance or marriage visa, because we have not been together for 2 years.

She also said that the next option would be to marry in his country and apply for a spouse visa,whilst staying there for 3 months. But she also said there were no guarantees whatsoever, that he will be able to come over to the UK.

I am absolutely tearful and distraught. I never expected to meet a lovely man yet alone from another country, but these things do happen.

I don't want to give up on this, but have a sad feeling that the child will be without a father, and that we might not ever get to be together again.

chinagef

Post by chinagef » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:11 pm

lorr wrote:
She also said that it would be difficult to apply for either a fiance or marriage visa, because we have not been together for 2 years.

She also said that the next option would be to marry in his country and apply for a spouse visa,whilst staying there for 3 months. But she also said there were no guarantees whatsoever, that he will be able to come over to the UK.
This, in my opinion, is incorrect. Two years of knowing each other is not a requirement for a fiance/marriage visa.

I have submitted applications where the couples have known each other for less than 4 months, and were approved accordingly.

Furthermore, as long as you are legally married, either in the UK or outside the UK, you should be able to submit a straight-forward spousal application.

It's all about showing a loving, genuine and subsisting relationship. I would have thought that the baby would strengthen a fiance/marriage visa application even more.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:39 pm

Agree with all the above - although it is worth pointing out that the immigration advisor is right in one thing - there are no guarantees.

To be able to apply for a fiancee visa you need to show:

1) You've met
2) You're over 21
3) You plan to get married within 6 months
4) You have sufficient finance and accommodation to support your partner (he won't be able to work on a fiancee visa until he converts to a spouse visa after the marriage)
5) You plan to live together post marriage

The same is true for the spouse visa, the only difference is that you don't have to show the plan to get married.

Now - you can obtain a spouse visa relatively quickly (1-2 months) if everything is in order. So - I think you have two options ...

1) Plan to get married here soon (using the baby as a reason) and apply for a fiancee visa
2) Travel out there, marry and then apply for the spouse visa. You do not need to be with your partner when you apply but it does (in my experience) help.

So you need to put together some documents either way - I'd suggest (assuming a fiancee visa):

a) A notorised copy of your passport (a post office can do it for you - http://www2.postoffice.co.uk/counter-se ... ng-service)
b) A copy of your council tax bill to prove where you live (and who lives there)
c) A copy of the land registry document (£4 from the website) if you own the property or a letter from your landlord confirming it will be OK for your partner to join you if you're renting.
d) As many payslips/original bank statements as you can get up to 6 months previous (really - get as much as you can)
e) A cover letter, explaining when you plan to marry and your pregnancy. I'd also outline your current budget to show how much money you have left over (you'll need around £110 spare a week post rent/council tax). It should also cover your relationship (when/where you met etc) and explicitly that you are going to support him and provide him accommodation when he arrives and details of your property/income/savings.
f) Some form of proof from the GP/midwife of your pregnancy - I'd suggest the MAT1B form - but you might be too early for that - but they might do you a letter. Even a copy of your notes might work.
g) Any photos/emails/telephone records of the relationship between you
h) A letter from your employer - confirming your current employment
i) A copy of his passport - notorised again
j) Any certificates of qualifications he might have (which will help his employment chances here).
k) Any payslips and bank statements he might have.

The last two aren't essential - but they will question how you can support him if you go on maternity leave - so showing employment potential would be good.

The other side of it is to show a plan - example: We intend to marry on day x which requires my partner to be in the UK on day y in order to submit sufficient notice to the registry office/church, and he intends to travel on day z. So do your research on this.

I think a fiancee visa is probably the right way forward since traveling that far when pregnant wouldn't be that much fun (my wife is 28+5 today).

Last thing - don't panic - getting a fiancee visa isn't that hard - it's just about ticking the right boxes. You also obviously have to be ready for the cost of the fiancee visa + FLR(M) to convert to a spouse visa - but that's probably about equivalent of the extra return ticket to send you out there for the marriage.

Keep coming back with questions.

M.

SoniaGammerman
Newly Registered

Re: Worried about my Colombian partner coming to the UK!

Post by SoniaGammerman » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:23 pm

Hiya,

This post was 5 years ago so I don't know
If you'll get this message anymore, but I just wanted to find out how your situation got resolved. It really broke my heart to read that you were pregnant and your boyfriend couldn't be with you in the UK. The reason I'm asking is because my boyfriend is Colombian. We met when we volunteered together on a farm in Israel. I decided to come to Colombia and now I am here with him for the next 3 months. In February I have to go back home to study and I really want that he can come with me. We want to continue our relationship in Europe but he needs to work to support himself and the visa is so difficult. I really don't know what to do. I just wondered if you had any advice from your own situation,
All the best!

marniebh
Newly Registered

Post by marniebh » Wed May 11, 2016 8:48 pm

Hiya,

I was just wondering how you all got on with these issues, I as well am a British Citizen facing the complications of getting my Colombian boyfriend over to the UK to be able to stay with him long-term and actually build a life together... Would appreciate any advice you could give! I Hope it all worked out well for you in the end.

Marnie

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed May 11, 2016 8:55 pm

Its a longshot as OP has not been online in the forum since Dec 2010.

Your best bet may to open your own topic.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.