ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

application for naturalisation (good character)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

blessedcovenant
Newly Registered

application for naturalisation (good character)

Post by blessedcovenant » Thu May 12, 2016 3:06 pm

I came to the UK from Nigeria for asylum which expired in 1st December 2003, I was an over stayer after this failed. I was granted leave to remain on appeal on 3rd of march 2008. after being married for 2 years with twins, I have been legal since then, I am still married with the twins being 10 at the end of this year and another child aged 7 this year. I applied for naturalisation and have received a letter back after waiting months saying that in the last ten years I have not been compliant by the laws of immigration thereby I may not meet the requirements of a good character, I have indefinite leave to remain, which does not need to be renewed till 2025, but I was unaware of this good character clause and have spent so much money on this, even using the checking service to make sure all was in order. now they are asking what steps I took to regularise my stay during the period in question, where I lived who was responsible for me, when and where did I work. do they only need to know about the last 10 years before my application, in which I was married and being a mother till I was made legal or from the date I entered, and Do I stand a chance for further consideration or do I need to wait another 2 years till I have been legal for 10 years march 2018 and then try and find all that money again? what if I fail this time, will it effect my chance next time? Thank you
Abiodun

imnewhere

Re: application for naturalisation (good character)

Post by imnewhere » Thu May 12, 2016 4:49 pm

I can imagine what a difficult situation it is for you being caught out by this good character requirement. You can read all about it via this link : http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 05532.html

You can apply for reconsideration but chances are it would not be successful as you overstayed by a considerable amount of time. Your best bet is probably to wait for when the 10 years have lapsed. The 10 years commences from the date you regularise your stay in the UK.

Unfortunately, you will have to find all the money again as they would not give you a refund.

Perhaps, one of the senior members can comment on your situation.

Be strong

noajthan

Re: application for naturalisation (good character)

Post by noajthan » Thu May 12, 2016 5:00 pm

Naturalisation does not enjoy appeal rights.
Reconsideration is to address any administrative and procedural-type errors on part of HO.
This does not appear relevant in this case.

You can get into the mind of the HO caseworker weighing up and assessing your case in HO guidance here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _D_v02.pdf
- see section 9, page 25+
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.