ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New English Language Requirement

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

cool_zero
Newly Registered

New English Language Requirement

Post by cool_zero » Thu May 12, 2016 3:59 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have got my ILR appointment on 8th June at Croydon to apply under Tier 1 (General).

My degree was not taught in the UK but was in English and was recognised under PBS Calculator. Based on the new SET (O) form, one needs to either get a NARIC assessment through Visa and Nationality or appear for an English language test.

I have got it assessed by NARIC and have received both a Statement of Comparability and an English Language Assessment letter. In that instance do I need to also produce a letter of medium of instruction from my university? If yes then what is the purpose of NARIC letter?

My problem is that my university is in a very remote location in India and I have managed to get someone to scan it to me. That was very well accepted by NARIC. Now if I have to produce the original letter then I need to go through the whole process again.

The Knowledge of language and life in the UK – V18.0 states the following:

Alternatively they can provide:

an English Language Assessment (ELA) from UK NARIC, which will confirm that the
degree was taught in English - UK NARIC will only issue an ELA where they are
satisfied that the qualification is comparable to a UK Bachelor’s degree

a Statement of Comparability (SoC) from UK NARIC confirming the qualification is
equivalent to a UK qualification - they must also provide an original letter from the
university or awarding institution on official headed paper, confirming the applicant’s:
o name
o title of the degree
o the qualification was taught in English

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _clean.pdf

There is no mention of 'and' or 'or' in the above two conditions. Moreover this guidance is prior to visa and nationality service had started. Hence I am very confused.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

pandd0
Newly Registered

Re: New English Language Requirement

Post by pandd0 » Thu May 12, 2016 4:50 pm

cool_zero wrote:Hello Everyone,

I have got my ILR appointment on 8th June at Croydon to apply under Tier 1 (General).

My degree was not taught in the UK but was in English and was recognised under PBS Calculator. Based on the new SET (O) form, one needs to either get a NARIC assessment through Visa and Nationality or appear for an English language test.

I have got it assessed by NARIC and have received both a Statement of Comparability and an English Language Assessment letter. In that instance do I need to also produce a letter of medium of instruction from my university? If yes then what is the purpose of NARIC letter?

My problem is that my university is in a very remote location in India and I have managed to get someone to scan it to me. That was very well accepted by NARIC. Now if I have to produce the original letter then I need to go through the whole process again.

The Knowledge of language and life in the UK – V18.0 states the following:

Alternatively they can provide:

an English Language Assessment (ELA) from UK NARIC, which will confirm that the
degree was taught in English - UK NARIC will only issue an ELA where they are
satisfied that the qualification is comparable to a UK Bachelor’s degree

a Statement of Comparability (SoC) from UK NARIC confirming the qualification is
equivalent to a UK qualification - they must also provide an original letter from the
university or awarding institution on official headed paper, confirming the applicant’s:
o name
o title of the degree
o the qualification was taught in English

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _clean.pdf

There is no mention of 'and' or 'or' in the above two conditions. Moreover this guidance is prior to visa and nationality service had started. Hence I am very confused.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks.
To be on safe side, I will suggest if possible - ask somebody to courier original copy to you. That is what I have done recently for my degree.

cool_zero
Newly Registered

Re: New English Language Requirement

Post by cool_zero » Fri May 13, 2016 8:53 am

Thanks. However I don't think it's needed. Below is the reply I have received from Home Office today morning.

"Good morning, thank you for your email.

With regard to your English Language, if you have obtained a Statement of Comparibility from NARIC and have an English Language Assessment, this should be sufficient to satisfy the English requirement.

The case worker dealing with your application would ordinarily require the original documents from your University. I would suggest that you submit the document that you have and if the caseworker
requires anything further they will contact you however, your English Language Assessment will support the scanned copy of the letter you have.

Regards"

Hope this helps everyone who is in a similar situation.