ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying visit visa before end of cooling period

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

magneta

Applying visit visa before end of cooling period

Post by magneta » Mon May 16, 2016 11:11 am

Hi

We would like to invite my sister in law's family for my child's first birthday party. However their cooling period doesnt end until 8 days after the party. They live in Norway and have a PR from there. They will sponsor their own trip as well. Is it possible to apply before the end of cooling period? Will the visa be rejected based on this reason? Is this a set rule?

Please could someone clarify this for me?

Regards
Magneta

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Applying visit visa before end of cooling period

Post by CR001 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:18 am

What do you mean by 'cooling period'? What is the UK immigration history?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

magneta

Post by magneta » Mon May 16, 2016 11:27 am

By cooling period I mean, If they have been here on visit visa before, they could not apply for another visit visa within 6 months after the end date of their visa. Is this correct? I have read before that on any single year, visitors can only be in the country for maximum 6 months. Is my understanding correct?

Their UK immigration history is that they have visited here 3 to 4 times, not staying more that 2 weeks each time. Prior to these visits, they were temporary residents here on Tier 2 visa.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:35 am

The term 'cooling off period' is specific to the Tier 2 category of visas, so you have used it in the wrong context for a visit visa.

When did they last visit?

How long did they visit for last time?

How many days have then been in the UK in the last 12 months before their planned visit now?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

magneta

Post by magneta » Mon May 16, 2016 11:49 am

Oh! That is my mistake. I thought it applied to visit visas as well. :( :( :(

They last visited in August for 5 days. That's only 5 days in the whole 12 month period.

magneta

Post by magneta » Mon May 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Does this mean they can apply for visit visa now?

So, If I understand correctly, A person can reapply for visit visa if they have not spent their entire 6 months period from their previous visa. On any period, a person can only stay a maximum of 6 months on a single visit. Is this right?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 16, 2016 12:49 pm

A 6 month visit is not visiting is it, it is residing. If they have only stayed in the UK for 5 days in the last 12 months, then they should be fine.

A visitor should not be spending more time in the UK that in their country of residence. They should be fine to apply.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

magneta

Post by magneta » Mon May 16, 2016 1:14 pm

Great. Thank you so much for this information. very helpful

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon May 16, 2016 1:33 pm

magneta wrote:Great. Thank you so much for this information. very helpful
Think of the 6 months visit visa as being VALID for 6 months and compare with the 10 year visit visa. 10 years is only it's validity, not the length of stay allowed, and the 6 month one is no different.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....