ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

DOWNSIDES to HSMP???

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

govid
Newly Registered

DOWNSIDES to HSMP???

Post by govid » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:24 am

Hi all,

I've been doing quite a lot of reading here and in other sites as I am planning to file my HSMP application soon, to switch from my current WP.

But just before I do, I was wondering whether there might be something there that i'm missing... Is there any downside to switching from WP?

For example, do I risk loosing the years I already spent in the UK on my WP towards an ILR? Is there any risk when applying again for a FLR based on a HSMP (to replace the FLR(WP))?

Is there any reason at all NOT to file a HSMP application if you're holding a WP? Obviously, the reason I am interested in a HSMP is to gain the freedom to move employers.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks.

gotcha
Member of Standing

Re: DOWNSIDES to HSMP???

Post by gotcha » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:14 am

govid wrote:Hi all,

But just before I do, I was wondering whether there might be something there that i'm missing... Is there any downside to switching from WP?

For example, do I risk loosing the years I already spent in the UK on my WP towards an ILR? Is there any risk when applying again for a FLR based on a HSMP (to replace the FLR(WP))?
Only downside I see with HSMP is, it is very unstable in nature. Home office kept on changing the rules for it. That is biggest point to keep in mind.

Otherwise, it is flexible.

For example, I'm in UK now on HSMP, and will qualify for FLR when extension is due. But, I can not say that, existing rules will not be changed in two years. And you have to qualify using rules existing at the time of extension.

previous WP stay will not be lapsed in HSMP. At the time of ILR whole stay will be considered.

But, my advice is, study all things well, and then take decision.
I'd applied for HSMP from home counrty. But not before 3-4 months of study. And again, I'm here , and prepared to go home, if something goes wrong, i.e. in future changed rules may disqualify me to seek extension. :)

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:47 pm

Stay in WP for at least 3 years. Then get HSMP, which will you give you further 2 years.

In that case you don't need to apply for FLR under new HSMP rule as you'll qualify for ILR after 5 years.

But who knows HO can even abolish ILR process altogether! :lol:

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:05 pm

How long have you been in the UK on the work permit?

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

govid
Newly Registered

Post by govid » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:38 pm

Many thanks for all your thoughts.

Victoria, I've been on my WP just over 3 years and my leave was originally granted for 5 years, so I have 2 more years left on my existing leave to remain.

My concern is that I may get only 1 year on FLR(HSMP) in which case, if the rules change, I may find it more difficult to reapply (but who knows what HO will do...). Obviously my biggest concern here is not to lose the time i've already spent in the UK towards ILR.

If I succesfully apply for HSMP do I have to change immidiately to FLR(HSMP) or can I stay on my FLR(WP) for a while? I read somewhere that one has 6 months to change the FLR.

Thanks again

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:43 pm

Initial HSMP approval is for 2 years.

You have 6 months from your approval to HSMP visa stamping.

HSMP approval doesn't cancel your WP status - untill you get visa stamping.
So you can wait for almost 6 months max.

gordon

Post by gordon » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:45 pm

At the moment, you can amalgamate your WP and HSMP leave when you apply for ILR, so long as your most recent period of leave is on HSMP. The recent SoI on the pending tier system suggests that amalgamation of such leave can occur whether one is on WP (tier 2) or HSMP (tier 1) at the time of ILR application, but it's best to wait and see what actually is implemented. If they do as they say they will do, the new system will not be without its positive sides.

I know that you've asked about downsides to HSMP, but given Gordon Brown's dire economic forecast for 2008, I can't but note that going onto HSMP will help you avoid the following nightmare scenario, should it happen that an economic downturn results in a redundancy for you.

Just my thoughts. AG

govid
Newly Registered

Post by govid » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:14 am

Many thanks for your replies.

Gordon, what you described is one of the main reasons for my interest in HSMP in the first place... I think I know what my next step should be now!