ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply for Visa without Surrender Certificate

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tamilmaran
- thin ice -

Apply for Visa without Surrender Certificate

Post by tamilmaran » Wed May 11, 2016 6:40 pm

Hi All,

I have got my approval letter and soon I will get my British passport ,( JCAP Application) after my ceremony.

As I have to surrender my BRP card with in 5 days, I want to take a Visa to India and travel, without any problems ( like using two passports )

My Question is :

Is it mandatory to apply for surrender certificate and then apply for Indian Visa...?

Can I surrender my Indian passport after my return and with in 90 days. {or} Can I surrender my passport in India ...?(if so what is the time frame)

(I am aware, I may get the surrender certificate in 3-5 days in UK)
Please update BC timeline in google docs https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... li=1#gid=0

I am another user just like you.....!!
===TAMILMARAN===

alien.uk
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Apply for Visa without Surrender Certificate

Post by alien.uk » Thu May 12, 2016 3:53 pm

The moment you get the British passport in your hand, your Indian Citizenship / Passport is void although you are allowed to use it to cross the borders. But doing so will attract penalty from Indian Government in the range of 150£ ..

To answer your question, you should need Surrender Certificate for applying Indian Visa, this is a mandate for all those who were Indian Citizens before attaining British Citizenship. However, there could be a let off for those who apply e-visa (try investigating if this route works for you?)

Surrender Certificate work can commence independently without waiting for British Passport. All you need is your naturalisation certificate and leave 10 Business days for Surrendering process with VFS INdia
Alien UK
ILR received - November 2014
Applied for Naturalisation - Feb 2016
Naturalisation Approval - Mar 2016
Passport Received - April 2016

tamilmaran
- thin ice -

Post by tamilmaran » Mon May 16, 2016 12:19 pm

Thank you very much.

I tried the e-visa route , but the visa issued is for 30 days only(which did not suit me)

Can I ask you an info , when did you get your Naturalization certificate ..? on the same day of ceremony or will it take some more days.
Please update BC timeline in google docs https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... li=1#gid=0

I am another user just like you.....!!
===TAMILMARAN===

alien.uk
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by alien.uk » Mon May 16, 2016 4:34 pm

Naturalisation certificate will be handed over at the citizenship ceremony held in the local council.
You will need to call the council to find a place for you in the ceremony after you get the Naturalisation approval letter.

As soon as your Ceremony is held you will need to surrender your BRP (within 5 days). I don't think they have build the system yet to catch you at the borders if you are going to use the BRP but the disclaimer is that if you use , penalty is 1000£... so I will leave it to you to take the risk :D

My timelines read like this

6th April - Citizenship Ceremony
7th April - Cut BRP into 2, send it to the HMRC office through free post.
8th April - Apply for British Passport
28th April - British Passport Received.
Alien UK

tamilmaran
- thin ice -

Post by tamilmaran » Mon May 16, 2016 9:26 pm

Hi there Thanks,
I will surrender my passport and go for a visa. Travel to India and once back , I will apply for OCI. I was finding ways to save some money (already a huge fortune is gone ) during the process, but no room for that without any problem.

alien.uk
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by alien.uk » Tue May 17, 2016 9:35 am

Almost in the same situation as you ...
I recently applied for Visa price tagged at 110£ :cry: as i've planned for my summer vacation in India.

I have to apply for OCI as soon as I return from India.

IF you are desperate to save some money, you may try for e-visa that can be applied 72 hours before your departure (I am told that you get the visa in 24 hours) ,...Here again there is not much savings. may be a matter of 50£ ... catch - valid for 30 days only.
Alien UK