ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Uk spouse application and previous overstay

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

TripleJ
Newly Registered

Uk spouse application and previous overstay

Post by TripleJ » Tue May 17, 2016 4:28 pm

Hello everyone,

If someone can advice me regarding this matter;

I'm applying for uk spouse visa and I'm really stressed out of filling the application form. The question is, do you ever voluntarily elected to depart the uk?

I overstayed my visit visa for 3.5 years. I came back to my country early this year and got married to my British husband. I came back to my country on my own expense.

I don't have any reference number from ukba hence I didn't apply to legalise my stay in uk.

Thanks in advance....

KatieWills
Wales

Re: Uk spouse application and previous overstay

Post by KatieWills » Tue May 17, 2016 9:48 pm

Hi TripleJ,

As I understand from my own research, the overstay itself does not result in an automatic ban when applying for a settlement visa. I believe that the ECO has to consider whether the overstayer ALSO attempted to "frustrate the intentions of the immigration rules" as detailed here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... raph-32011

Quote from Part 1 in link : "It is not sufficient to have been in breach of immigration law or to be an immigration offender. There must be aggravating circumstances as well."
Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue May 17, 2016 9:53 pm

That's correct, but the overstay should be declared in the application. Withholding the information could be considered as deception.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

TripleJ
Newly Registered

Post by TripleJ » Wed May 18, 2016 2:06 am

Casa wrote:That's correct, but the overstay should be declared in the application. Withholding the information could be considered as deception.
Hi Casa,

About my question regarding on the application form for spouse visa. "Have you ever voluntarily elected to depart the Uk?

I came back to my country on my own expense without informing uk border agency. I don't have any letter from them.

Shall I just say no? Coz if I say yes they need reference number to put in the form.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 18, 2016 8:24 am

You need to declare your overstay. HO will have a record of when you originally arrived and when you left. If you say no, then you are withholding information and that is deception.

Not sure what to say about the reference number. I would imagine it is not a compulsory field as wouldn't be applicable to everyone if HO wasn't aware of the person while in the UK overstaying.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed May 18, 2016 9:32 am

I agree with CR001 and suggest you explain the circumstances in the 'any other information' section .
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.