ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SOUTH AFRICAN...DO I NEED TO DO AN ENGLISH TEST?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

chelsea_arv
Newly Registered

SOUTH AFRICAN...DO I NEED TO DO AN ENGLISH TEST?

Post by chelsea_arv » Mon May 16, 2016 11:01 pm

Hi,

I am an English speaking South African, do i need to do an English test before applying? Also, which form do i need to fill out...SET_O or FLR_O ?The price difference is huge but they seem so similar. And if you apply in person do you get your ILR approval on the day? What is the time limit if you post it? Sorry for all the questions but nothing seems very clear on any website.

noajthan

Re: SOUTH AFRICAN...DO I NEED TO DO AN ENGLISH TEST?

Post by noajthan » Mon May 16, 2016 11:38 pm

chelsea_arv wrote:Hi,

I am an English speaking South African, do i need to do an English test before applying? Also, which form do i need to fill out...SET_O or FLR_O ?The price difference is huge but they seem so similar. And if you apply in person do you get your ILR approval on the day? What is the time limit if you post it? Sorry for all the questions but nothing seems very clear on any website.
Yes, proof of English is required.

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/exemptions
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:59 pm

As your English test question has been answered, I will answer/ask questions on your other queries.
Also, which form do i need to fill out...SET_O or FLR_O ?The price difference is huge but they seem so similar.
What are you applying for - ILR or further leave to remain? (Set(O) = ILR (settlement) and FLRO(O) = further leave to remain.
And if you apply in person do you get your ILR approval on the day? What is the time limit if you post it?
If your application is straightforward, you get the decision on the day. Postal can take anything from a couple of months to a year.

What is your current visa category??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

chelsea_arv
Newly Registered

Post by chelsea_arv » Wed May 18, 2016 3:27 pm

Thank you so much for the information. We are on UK Ancestry visas. We are at the end of our 5 years so we would be applying to settle i'm assuming. We want to get our British Passports so we will fill out the SET(O) form then. I can't believe how expensive the whole process is, from the english test to life in the UK test and then the application itself. I never thought i would have to do be doing an english test etc. as a Caucasian South African with British ancestry. Oh well. Thank you again for all your help.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 18, 2016 3:32 pm

I was fortunate to have completed ILR and citizenship before the requirement of having to do the English test but also think a bit pointless for a South Africa (myself included). Passed LIUK first try, so that was good but knew most of the stuff already.

British passport obviously comes after the more expensive (currently £1236) naturalisation application which can be done 12 months after your ILR (settlement) is granted. Remember there is a whole extra 2 step process before you can apply for citizenship if you wish to retain your South African citizenship.

What is your ancestry? Only grandparent(s) British or parents too?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.