ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Supporting docs spouse visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

John Green

Supporting docs spouse visa

Post by John Green » Wed May 18, 2016 11:13 am

Regarding the UK spouse visa.

I've been reading the posts on supporting documents. There are two queries I have:

First, in the case of things like Skype call logs, or emails, do they all have to be printed out for the ECO to read? Remember that in the case of Skype calls, you are talking of in excess of 150 screenshots over a period of time, which I find it hard to imagine they really want to read as printouts. Instead, would the advice be to explain that they are readily available for him to read (in hardcopy or electronically) if the ECO so decides?

I note that in the case of supporting docs, there are items that must be included. They are for example contained in the official advice online.

There are also additional items specific to the case of the applicant that he or she needs to explain to make the ECO's understand the specifics of his or her situation. Each case has its individual aspects and in my case, for example, there are a few issues that if left unexplained would raise questions.

On the other hand, the ECOs do not (I imagine) want applicants to give them everything even indirectly related to the application, that ties up a lot of time to no purpose and irritates.

Where, in other words, should the lines be drawn? Are there some common sense rules on these issues?

Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Supporting docs spouse visa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 18, 2016 1:56 pm

The applicant has to provide everything to prove a strong case.

If anything is missing, the application will be refused. The ECO will not write or call you to ask for x or y document.

It is not for you or the applicant to decide what you think the ECO can 'ask for later if they want to' or reduce the supporting documents to make it easier. Provide what is asked for, simples.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

John Green

Post by John Green » Wed May 18, 2016 2:27 pm

So the advice is to supply all that you have, in hardcopy. They only object if you supply too little and not too much.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 18, 2016 2:36 pm

John Green wrote:So the advice is to supply all that you have, in hardcopy. They only object if you supply too little and not too much.
Correct yes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

John Green

Post by John Green » Fri May 20, 2016 10:40 am

As I explained, there are a few complications to the spouse visa my wife (the applicant) will make out.

However, there are what I consider to be quite powerful reasons why these would not be a barrier to her receiving the visa. But they need to be explained, obviously, to the ECOs. I imagine through a covering letter or letters with other supporting documents.

The question is this. I originally assumed that my wife, as the applicant, will give them this information under her name as part of the packet of supporting documents. After all, she is applying for the visa, and not me. My wife thinks however that this is really something that I should deal with and that it would be better to write these letters of explanation in my name. Even though I am not the applicant.

What's the view on this please? Should she give in these letters as written by her? Or should they be included as from myself?

I'm also following the advice that I should include "too much" in the way of supporting documents, since it cannot do any harm and should avoid them coming back to complain about "missing" supporting documents. I imagine my English language documents need to be notarised before they can be sent off. Hers also need to be first translated to English.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri May 20, 2016 11:04 am

A spouse visa is a tick box exercise. There is an 'additional information' section and anything you need to elaborate on, can be explained there.

ECO's are not interested in emotions or reasons etc. You either meet the requirements per the rules or you don't.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

John Green

Post by John Green » Fri May 20, 2016 11:09 am

But where there are complications, you need to be able to explain them (without emotion) and the boxes on the visa itself simply don't have the room. There are cases on this forum where visas have been delayed or even rejected because they did not give a better account of what's going on. And I was told that in case of doubt, you should give them more rather than little. Especially where additional information is important. If you don't, you can expect a letter asking for more information or even a refusal. This is a point of supporting documents, to have this opportunity.

From memory, the decision as to what documents you supply outside of the visa form is yours. So anything you feel will help is acceptable ...
Last edited by John Green on Fri May 20, 2016 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri May 20, 2016 11:18 am

Yes, but it doesn't mean you need to send a complete overload of documents trying to explain something.

From all of your lengthy previous posts, I can't understand what your 'complications' are that you feel need explaining.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

John Green

Post by John Green » Fri May 20, 2016 11:28 am

I agree. For example I know one of your posters listed in the supporting documents he was going to give them all his skype call logs (presumably printed out). Now, I have screenshotted some of my own for this purpose. But I cannot really believe that ECOs have the time or interest in reading (in hardcopy) hundreds and hundreds of these screenshots, most of which tell them nothing.

What I think would be more constructive is to send them the screenshots of Skype calls at the start of the relationship. If they are looking to see if the relationship is genuine, that will tell them. I don't see a lot of sense in them giving them hundreds more screenshots over the following months that add little to this info.

On the complications, please believe me there are a few.

To return to the original query. Should all the supporting documents (except those dealing with accommodation and finances) be in the name of the applicant (my wife)? Or can I (as her "sponsor" in the UK - her husband) add some of them in my name? Even though I am not the applicant?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri May 20, 2016 11:49 am

What documents specifically are you thinking of submitting in your name (apart from finance/accommodation)? The ECO will want to see evidence of how you communicate with each other during your time apart.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

John Green

Post by John Green » Fri May 20, 2016 12:12 pm

One of them was that I was originally thinking of possibly living with my wife in Moldova. So we spent quite a lot of time testing whether it was better for me to live there or for her to live in the UK with me. So I made a number of visits over there for this purpose. This year, we finally decided after we have tested the waters it would be better for her to join me here in the UK permanently. Which is why I now ask about the UK spouse visa.

I don't know, but I was thinking the ECO's might query (unless I told them this story) why after our marriage a year ago we have spent most of our time apart (she being in Moldova and I in the UK). In other words, without my expaining this history, they might query if we are in a "genuine" marriage?

John Green

Post by John Green » Fri May 20, 2016 6:59 pm

From the feedback over the last day or so, it comes across to me that what is considered as "adequate" in the way of supporting documents is subjective. It depends on whether there are complications to the application that really need to be explained. And how much the applicant himself or herself feels is enough.

So it depends on the situation and at what point people consider they have given the ECO sufficient information to understand their situation.

Generally, so far as I am aware, there is no penalty for submitting what most people would think is "too much" in the way of supporting documents. Because what "too much" would mean is open to individal judgement and dispute. I've not seen anything in the immigration rules to state or clarify at what point they consider that no more supporting documents should be submitted. So it's a matter of individual judgement.

Whereas there is a penalty for not submitting "enough" documents to let the ECO make an informed decision.

So the balance is on "overdoing" the number of supporting documents one supplies, just to be on the safe side and with no risk. That's my take.