ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born in UK or Abroad & likely affects on BC in future

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Usmanm501
Newly Registered

Child born in UK or Abroad & likely affects on BC in future

Post by Usmanm501 » Fri May 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Husband Tier 2 due to get ILR in December 2017.
Wife Tier 2 dependant visa until December 2017 and then further extension.

We currently have a decision to make whether to have our first baby born in UK or abroad (Pakistan). I have read the FAQs regarding entitlement to register as BC when any parent gets an ILR. Discretion to be exercised by HO if the child is born abroad.

The question is if the child is born outside UK then would i need to obtain a dependant visa from Pakistan first which will be issued in line with my leave to remain until december 2017? Once i get ILR, can i then Apply for child registration as HO discretion? If refused what will be my options?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child born in UK or Abroad & likely affects on BC in fut

Post by CR001 » Fri May 20, 2016 1:09 pm

A child born abroad is expected to hold ILR before they qualify for citizenship and will only qualify if apply with or after at least one parent is applying for or has received British citizenship.

If you apply to register a child born abroad without ILR, you will likely receive a refusal and by that time, the child will have no valid leave to remain in the UK.

It will be easier if the aim is BC for the child, to have the child in the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri May 20, 2016 1:26 pm

@Usmanm501,
kindly refrain from posting multiple copies of question across the forum.

Multiple posts
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri May 20, 2016 4:12 pm

CR001 wrote:A child born abroad is expected to hold ILR before they qualify for citizenship and will only qualify if apply with or after at least one parent is applying for or has received British citizenship.
I would say it is tougher than that even now.

Registration of children born abroad is at the Home Office's discretion. Currently, the policy that they adopt is that children born overseas have the same status as the less-privileged parent and is eligible for registration as a British citizen when the second parent naturalises. But this is only a policy of the Home Office and can become tougher overnight.

By contrast, children born in the UK have an entitlement in law to register once either (one) parent gets ILR. That is obviously a much easier standard to meet.

So, if you definitely want the child to be a British citizen, you would want it to be born in the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri May 20, 2016 4:19 pm

secret.simon wrote:
CR001 wrote:A child born abroad is expected to hold ILR before they qualify for citizenship and will only qualify if apply with or after at least one parent is applying for or has received British citizenship.
I would say it is tougher than that even now.

Registration of children born abroad is at the Home Office's discretion. Currently, the policy that they adopt is that children born overseas have the same status as the less-privileged parent and is eligible for registration as a British citizen when the second parent naturalises. But this is only a policy of the Home Office and can become tougher overnight.

By contrast, children born in the UK have an entitlement in law to register once either (one) parent gets ILR. That is obviously a much easier standard to meet.

So, if you definitely want the child to be a British citizen, you would want it to be born in the UK.
The requirement is that one of the parents must be naturalising or be British and the other parent must hold settled status.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shahid2000
Member of Standing

Post by shahid2000 » Fri May 20, 2016 5:06 pm

I had the same situation few years ago and in the end I decided to have our baby born here in the UK. Although at times I questioned my decision during the pregnancy because we had no family here to support us and it was just too hard to cope with everything but now I am content I made the right choice. It made the whole visa/immigration process much much easier and straight forward afterwards. By the time I got ILR my son was 2-3 years old and he simply simply registerd and got the citizenship in a matter of 4 weeks without needing to apply for ILR. I would strongly recommend you have the baby in the UK but it's your decision eventaually.

In contrast I know someone who decided to have the baby abroad (in Pak) but later ran into all sorts of problems around getting visa for the baby. I don't remember the exact details but it was something like wife got the visa to come back but baby's visa was refused. The guy was well settled here doing a decent job (doctor) and no problems with affordability.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Fri May 20, 2016 9:28 pm

Personally I would have the child in the country I intended to spend my future in.

However, for cultural reasons or whatever, a lot of people prefer to have their children born in their homeland rather than the country they live in.