ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claiming JSA and Housig Benefit :

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

wam_khan

Claiming JSA and Housig Benefit :

Post by wam_khan » Sun May 22, 2016 9:40 pm

Hi Al,

I am currently claiming income based - JSA, Housing benefit .

I am planning to leave country for 23 days as need to attend important wedding of my brother and sister that has arranged together.

Can any one please confirm how it may impact my benefits ?
Am I allow to leave for less than month due to family reasons ?

Looking forward
Regards
Vamiq Khan

secret.simon

Re: Claiming JSA and Housig Benefit :

Post by secret.simon » Sun May 22, 2016 9:58 pm

What is your current immigration status? And what is the immigration status of your family in the UK?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

wam_khan

Post by wam_khan » Sun May 22, 2016 10:54 pm

Me and daughter is Citzen
my ms in on ILR and post application for naturalisation recently

thnx

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 23, 2016 9:24 am

The requirement is to notify the benefits office if you will be absent for more than 6 weeks.

People are allowed to go on holiday.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Mon May 23, 2016 5:38 pm

CR001 wrote:The requirement is to notify the benefits office if you will be absent for more than 6 weeks.

People are allowed to go on holiday.
"You’re committing benefit fraud if you:

don’t tell the office that pays your benefit you’re going abroad, even if it’s just for a visit"

https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad/overview

wam_khan

Post by wam_khan » Mon May 23, 2016 10:01 pm

CR001 PEtaltop

I know I need to notify Home office when I plan to go for holiday.

My question still unanswered,

Will I lose my benefit payment if I stay away from UK for certain time frame for example for 3 Weeks ?

looking forward
regards
vamiq khan

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 23, 2016 10:23 pm

Home Office doesn't deal with benefits.

Job Centre or DWP deals with Job Seekers and the council deals with HB.

@petaltop, thank you for the correction. Didn't know that, have never needed to go on holiday the short time I did claim :wink:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Tue May 24, 2016 9:15 am

CR001 wrote:
@petaltop, thank you for the correction. Didn't know that, have never needed to go on holiday the short time I did claim :wink:
You're welcome. I've been fortunate and never had to claim (and I have all sorts of insurance policies anyway to avoid ever having to jump through these benefit hoops) but I read this on another forum a few months ago. Someone had an interview under caution as they had been going home to RoI. She was on income based benefits, Housing Benefit, Pension Credit and Council Tax allowance (or whatever they call it now). I have no idea how they caught her as RoI is in the Common Travel Area.

I also discovered then that "going abroad" usually means "out of the UK" and that going to places like the Isle of Man is 'outside the UK''.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Tue May 24, 2016 9:50 am

wam_khan wrote: I know I need to notify Home office when I plan to go for holiday.

My question still unanswered,

Will I lose my benefit payment if I stay away from UK for certain time frame for example for 3 Weeks?
This seems to be saying you are ok for Housing Benefit for up to 4 weeks. I'm not sure how accurate it is.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... efits.html
As you will need to tell the council anyway, they are the best ones to advise you on how who long you can stay out of the UK and still have Housing Benefit.

As CR001 has said, it is the DWP for JobSeeker's Allowance. Ask them about the rules for going abroad while on JSA, when you next sign on at the Job Centre.

Benefit rules keep changing and the benefit staff are best placed to give you the correct infomation so that you can plan accordingly. There also seem to be different rules for visiting abroad when claiming the jobseeking part of Universal Credit, compared to claiming JSA (which is being replaced by UC).

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Tue May 24, 2016 10:15 am

Petaltop wrote:

I also discovered then that "going abroad" usually means "out of the UK" and that going to places like the Isle of Man is 'outside the UK''.
On the Pension Credit factsheet, they have included Northern Ireland in "abroad".

"you should tell us if you go abroad for any reason at all. This includes if you go
to Northern Ireland, the Isle ofMan or the Channel Islands."

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... c-0915.pdf

wam_khan

Post by wam_khan » Tue May 24, 2016 11:41 pm

Hi Guys,

Let me make clear, I have no intention to leave UK with out acknowledging concerned departments.

I spoke to work coach, Council Tax reductions, JSA and HB are subject to deduction.
Child / Working Tax Credits/ and Child benefit has no impact if you are abroad.

I simply decided to cut the journey shortest possible.

Rgds and thnx