ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Divorce and effect on citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

infoneeded123
Newly Registered

Divorce and effect on citizenship

Post by infoneeded123 » Wed May 18, 2016 11:46 pm

Hi,
I posted my ordeal recently about this abusive relationship i have been living in for the last 6 years. I finally decided to move on and I am looking to move from the house where i lived with this abusive wife. I needed to know that if there willbe any effect on my citizenship if i divorce her as citizenship was granted on the bases of marriage and we did a civil marriage(registry) in a local council and my spouse , ilr and citizenship were all granted on the bases of this civil marriage registry certificate. If i file for divorce and get decree absolute then it will invalidate the registry certificate and will it effect my citizenship coz it was granted due to marriage with a uk citizen???

By the way last night she hit me at the back of my head and i went to hospital and she took 500£ out of my bank account as well. Police was not involved.
Just read my previous post to get an idea that what im on about. Thankyou

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Divorce and effect on citizenship

Post by CR001 » Thu May 19, 2016 12:19 am

Please, you don't need to post each time she is abusive. This is a lot of personal information you are posting on a very public forum. Please try and only post absolutely essential relevant points to your questions.

What exactly in ALL the responses you have already receive is not clear for you??

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1348686
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

infoneeded123
Newly Registered

Post by infoneeded123 » Thu May 19, 2016 12:59 am

I needed to know that if the decree absolute i.e the legal divorce will have any effect on the citizenship as it was granted on the bases of this registry and if i go for official divorce then is it going to invalidate citizenship?

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Thu May 19, 2016 1:22 am

No.

As to the idea that you might lose citizenship because you allegedly tricked your wife into believing that you wanted to live with her indefinitely, yours would be a very rare case, possibly even the first. Believe you me, there are a great many bitter men who think they've been married just to get settlement, and I haven't heard of any of them succeeding in getting there ex-wives removed from the UK for practising such a deception once ILR has been achieved.

infoneeded123
Newly Registered

Post by infoneeded123 » Thu May 19, 2016 1:26 am

Richard W wrote:No.

As to the idea that you might lose citizenship because you allegedly tricked your wife into believing that you wanted to live with her indefinitely, yours would be a very rare case, possibly even the first. Believe you me, there are a great many bitter men who think they've been married just to get settlement, and I haven't heard of any of them succeeding in getting there ex-wives removed from the UK for practising such a deception once ILR has been achieved.
Thank you for your very useful and reassuring input. Thank you

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu May 19, 2016 11:27 am

Richard W wrote:No.

The OP is concerned about losing his British citizenship...not the wife losing hers. :|
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Thu May 19, 2016 7:06 pm

Casa wrote:The OP is concerned about losing his British citizenship...not the wife losing hers. :|
Sorry, I had assumed the process (or rather, lack of) would be the same for a deceiving man as for a deceiving woman. What have I overlooked? :o

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu May 19, 2016 7:15 pm

Richard W wrote:
Casa wrote:The OP is concerned about losing his British citizenship...not the wife losing hers. :|
Sorry, I had assumed the process (or rather, lack of) would be the same for a deceiving man as for a deceiving woman. What have I overlooked? :o
Nothing, but it wasn't relevant to the OP's situation. Deceit wasn't mentioned, only that the OP was concerned a condition of his BC was to remain married.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

infoneeded123
Newly Registered

Post by infoneeded123 » Mon May 23, 2016 1:47 pm

I have moved away from her and have done religious divorce and would like to divorce officially as well. I was in a genuine marriage for 6 years and I was just concerned that if I divorce then is it going to affect citizenship. She hit me on my head and I went to hospital with a concussion and then I left her home.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 23, 2016 1:50 pm

infoneeded123 wrote:I have moved away from her and have done religious divorce and would like to divorce officially as well. I was in a genuine marriage for 6 years and I was just concerned that if I divorce then is it going to affect citizenship. She hit me on my head and I went to hospital with a concussion and then I left her home.
Please can you refrain from divulging so much personal detail about the relationship. This is a very public forum and open to all, including your wife.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

infoneeded123
Newly Registered

Post by infoneeded123 » Mon May 23, 2016 2:56 pm

Sorry but I thought it was relevant information. So there is no affect to citizenship coz of divorce?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 23, 2016 3:10 pm

infoneeded123 wrote:Sorry but I thought it was relevant information. So there is no affect to citizenship coz of divorce?
It might be relevant but you should not be disclosing the high level of personal information on such a public website. Your wife or her family could be reading it and you have gone into so much detail, that you would be easily identifiable.

NO, a divorce WILL NOT affect your citizenship and asking the same question over and over is NOT going to change the answer.
Char (CR001 not Casa)